Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 11:39   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Bluewater boats?

There's always a lot of back and forth on the sailing side about just what constitutes a bluewater boat, but I've never seen such a discussion on the powered side. And I'm curious. Other than Nordhavn and (maybe?) Selene I have no idea what powerboats are offshore (or even rough coast) capable.

I've been on Bayliners and Grand Banks and neither are really the kind of boat I would take, say...down the west cost of the U.S. and certainly not offshore to Hawaii.

So, what's out there?
Old 29-03-2019, 11:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bluewater boats?

First you have to clearly and specifically define what you mean by a bluewater boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
First you have to clearly and specifically define what you mean by a bluewater boat.
Lol. Like that can ever be done to anyone's satisfaction. Capable of crossing the Atlantic or Pacific in reasonable comfort and safety. Honestly, most of the powerboats I've come across don't fall into that category.
Old 29-03-2019, 13:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Ok, power boats with long range which I think would mean in this case at least 3000 nm with a reserve. That does limit the list a lot. I know plenty of power boats that could go out in blue water even in really rough conditions.

There are a number of custom, semi-custom ocean crossing power boats but I'm not familiar enough with that type to recall names off the top of my head.

Defever if I recall makes a long range cruiser that might qualify.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 13:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

They're all bad if the engine(s) quit.

Never trust your life to an engine (a common single-engine aircraft pilot's axiom). Having two engines doubles your chances of having an engine failure.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 14:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
They're all bad if the engine(s) quit.

Never trust your life to an engine (a common single-engine aircraft pilot's axiom). Having two engines doubles your chances of having an engine failure.
Thus speaketh the sailor.

My understanding is that Nordhavns have a wing engine for just that reason. Again, it seem to be one of the few power boats designed to cross oceans. Must be a pretty small market if no one else has got into it.
Old 29-03-2019, 14:37   #7

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Many boats built to have the type of range, say >1500 miles with reserves are generally built to the type of spec that can handle serious open ocean passages. The problem is finding one in a size and price range that most would consider affordable. Nordhavan is the only producer that I am aware of that still makes boats that are built to do that in sizes under 60 feet. Selene is solid boat but I don't believe they make anything smaller than 62' and that boat only has a range of 1400nm. The downside they all suffer from is a dependency on engines for propulsion and in most cases power generation and fuel is not always easy to come by in truly remote areas, even the giant yachts don't often have enough capacity to go all that far from large ports with sufficient fuel supplies unless they in turn have a supply ship alongside carrying thousands of gallons of fuel.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 14:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
Many boats built to have the type of range, say >1500 miles with reserves are generally built to the type of spec that can handle serious open ocean passages. The problem is finding one in a size and price range that most would consider affordable. Nordhavan is the only producer that I am aware of that still makes boats that are built to do that in sizes under 60 feet. Selene is solid boat but I don't believe they make anything smaller than 62' and that boat only has a range of 1400nm. The downside they all suffer from is a dependency on engines for propulsion and in most cases power generation and fuel is not always easy to come by in truly remote areas, even the giant yachts don't often have enough capacity to go all that far from large ports with sufficient fuel supplies unless they in turn have a supply ship alongside carrying thousands of gallons of fuel.
The image of a bunch of cruiser hand-bombing 1200 gallons of diesel from a nearby gas station suddenly appeared in my head. Ooh my aching back!
Old 29-03-2019, 15:06   #9

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

The FPB series designed by Steve and Linda Dashew, self righting, go anywhere expedition yachts for (wealthy) couples
jspla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 15:58   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Kind of on topic if anyone cares to comment - why would anyone choose a power boat to cross oceans?
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 16:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Kind of on topic if anyone cares to comment - why would anyone choose a power boat to cross oceans?
I follow a few Nordhavn owners online who are cruising the world...one just bought a new (to them) Nordhavn 56 motor sailor which sparked this idea in my head. I'd go for that option if I had the money to burn. But I can see the appeal in buying one to do the round the world cruise. Certainly has a cat beat for comfort and spaciousness.
Old 29-03-2019, 16:03   #12

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I speak as a 50 year sailor, Was on a Nordhavn 56ish at Annapolis a few years ago. It really was a thing of beauty and seemed to be extremely well made. Of course the $1.6 million price tag (it was their demo so cheaper) and the cost of fuel made me not at eager to move to the dark side.
Old 29-03-2019, 16:28   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

If I could have afforded it, I would have.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 17:31   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

In Puerto Vallarta last winter a 72 foot Viking with an equally old owner came in next to us. He had brought the boat through the Panama Canal. A tour of his boat revealed two engines bigger than some boats. He said he'd lived aboard 20 years and cruised everywhere, but he had not gone faster than 8 knots the whole time. If you throttle back you can get great range on most any power boat. Also on our dock was a Beneteau 34 foot trawler and a Flemming 53 (my favorite) and a couple Nordhavn 50. None, except the Nordhavn can cross an ocean on their own bottom, but with care they all made it. (i guess I didn't see the ones that didn't)
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 17:53   #15

Quote:
To get there in comfort, instead of out in the weather in an open cockpit, to avoid long periods of an off-level deck, etc.
Open-d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, water