Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2008, 21:02   #181

Boat: Spindrift (Starwind) 19, Catalina 22, Hobie 14, AMF Puffer 12
Sail now, or forever hold your peace...

IMHO losing a relationship to go to the sea is better than losing the sea for a relationship.

I have been wrestling with the same dilemma for 6 years now. When I proposed to my wife I told her” I yam what I yam, & I’s a sailor”. The water and boats run through my veins. I said I would like to marry you… but you MUST agree to sail with me for a year ( She said she really enjoyed sailing), & if at the end of a year you do not like the cruising life, we shall return to shore & we will find a place along the coast that makes us BOTH happy.
That was six long years ago…& countless vessels. I owned the boat we were to venture forward in. Once out on large water (Lake Michigan) though, she said the motion made her feel uneasy & the craft heeled too much. So, still having my dream alive, I purchased a larger boat with a wider beam. Back out on the water we go… “no, the motion is still to much & the boat leans at a dreadful angle”. Not to be deterred I procure a longer boat with even more beam & through in a full keel, just for good measure. Onward to the great blue again… “is there any way you can make the boat NOT lean???”.
I sold that boat also. For her part, she started looking at cruising catamarans and trawlers. Both were cost prohibitive. I still wanted to go sailing though so I agreed to look at catamarans. Once we started looking & doing the math for cruising for the year, our calculations didn’t match. Seems she decided we would need full coverage health insurance (medical, prescription, optical & dental) while we were gone. Dream was then totally smashed. I have not sailed since.
Follow YOUR dreams my friend… I guarantee you will be a much happier person for doing so.
Latitude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 03:01   #182
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some facts about the divorce rates in Canada:

First marriages have about a 50% chance of ending in divorce. That risk becomes greater with each successive marriage (about 72% for second, and about 85% for third marriages).

About 75% of divorced men, and 65% of divorced women remarry.

Almost 75% of Canadian divorces are being initiated by women.

One year after separation or divorce, 50% of children of divorced or separated families never see their fathers again.

Apparently, many of us are more committed to things, other than our marriages.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 16:15   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The number one cause of divorce is marriage. Eliminate that and all will be fine...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 20:31   #184

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Latitude I could not agree more, my last girlfriend told me that she liked sailing and i told her okay and borrowed my buddies 28' mono and took it out on lake lanier, well to make a long story short $200 and severel boats later she asked me to try to stay on land, it nearly proved my undoing but I finally told her that since she couldn't accept sailing as a lifestyle then it couldn't work and we went our seperate ways, we are still friends but she now has someone else and I am single once again...the good thing is she is now spending his money and not mine so I now am happy AND I have money
Old 25-11-2008, 23:08   #185

Boat: Spindrift (Starwind) 19, Catalina 22, Hobie 14, AMF Puffer 12
Have Money????

If you have money.... then you must not hav a boat!!! LOL
Kidding... good for you!!! I just purchased an O'day 192, I'll re-do it over the winter. Come spring I'll try one more time to get her to go sailing... nothing much, just Lake Superior & Lake Michigan. One or two weeks. If she does it, then I'm getting somewhere. If she does not... then I've done all I can.

Latitude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 00:49   #186

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Go for your own dream. Being unhappy on land will make you bothe unhappy in the long run.

I have a boat AND a wonderful girlfriend who truly loves the sea and sailing. I'm so, so lucky

/Hampus
Old 26-11-2008, 07:48   #187

Actually latitude I too am looking at redoing a boat over the winter, i'm looking at one of the boats damaged in IKE that only needs superficial and a hole fixed in the bow above the water line, good luck with the O'day.
Old 26-11-2008, 20:21   #188

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
did not read the whole thread, but IMHO, i would (and have) ditched the girl to pursue the cruising dream. The dream didn't work out the way I had planned, but then again, the relationship probably wouldn't have either. If your dream poses a major, major problem in your relationship, then obviously you two weren't meant to be together.

again, this is just my opinion.
Old 26-11-2008, 21:19   #189

Hi ronnie that seems to be the general consensous.
Old 28-11-2008, 18:59   #190

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well shoot I wasent going to but I might as well give my 2 cents worth...

She being only a girlfriend do what you want..but

When I slipped my wifes ring on her finger a part of me died but another part of me was born...when we made the decition to have kids another part of me was taken away but another gift was given in its place..each of thoes choices mandated that part of my life was changed forever and the old self centered selfish man had no place in my future..Instead sacrifices and service to others needs are now to be more important then mine..I have not lost any of the dreams I once had but dreams many of them are likely to remain..to do otherwise would be selfish indeed.....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 01:21   #191

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I have not lost any of the dreams I once had but dreams many of them are likely to remain..to do otherwise would be selfish indeed.....
You are a lucky man if you are happy. That normally means that both of you are working on the relationship and there is give and take from both. When the give is one sided (as is the take) you are only left with your dreams, and they make the relationship fester. I stood this for 20 additional years but was eventually at the point of complete breakdown, when I said enough was enough on a 31 year relationship.

I am now a lot happier, but a lot poorer.
Old 29-11-2008, 02:39   #192

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Well shoot I wasent going to but I might as well give my 2 cents worth...

She being only a girlfriend do what you want..but

When I slipped my wifes ring on her finger a part of me died but another part of me was born...when we made the decition to have kids another part of me was taken away but another gift was given in its place..each of thoes choices mandated that part of my life was changed forever and the old self centered selfish man had no place in my future..Instead sacrifices and service to others needs are now to be more important then mine..I have not lost any of the dreams I once had but dreams many of them are likely to remain..to do otherwise would be selfish indeed.....
Wise beyond your years no matter how old you are!!!!!!!

By the by, I'm the big dummy that gave you your sig line and I want credit AND royaltiies!!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 04:03   #193

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
choices

This post is going on forever so it must be tapping in to something. My story....I started dating this young lady 25 years ago and since I was an avid sailor, she told me she loved sailing and would be my partner. We married and guess what....she didn't like sailing as much as she led me to believe. The dream hybernated and guess again....23 years later she decided she didn't want to be married anymore.
Dream revived... but as I medically retired (remember "in sickness and in health") and the stock market "crashed", I have since lost most of my money.
I did go out and buy a Cal 39 with the intention of heading to the Caribbean (maybe South Pacific and Thailand later). The dream is revived but now I am old (61) and broke (almost). Dreams are better fitted for the young and well abled but I will try anyway.
Moral of the story...go when you can.
Jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 06:11   #194

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Thumbs up

Hey JIMKING,

All is not lost! FIRST, 61-years old is NOT old!!! And secondly, check out Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei for a couple who are not rolling in $$$$ and are still doing the things you have in mind. We all have our stories (and mine is not dissimilar, but I'm not going to get into it) and sometimes things can get bleak (and I'm not getting into that one, either), but it ain't over 'till it's over.

Make a plan, get your head and body together, and do what you want to do. The clock is, indeed, ticking and I'll guarantee that absolutely nobody is going to achieve your goal and happiness for you!

Good luck to ya', my friend!!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 06:46   #195
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I won't go into my story, either. I'd just be repeating what's already been said.

When people ask me if I'm married, I say "No, I traded my wife in on a boat. And I sure do love my boat."

I have a hat that says: "I love my boat. It takes all my money, but it doesn't bitch."

My ex just laughs. We get along fine. Just can't be married.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote