Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2023, 09:37   #121

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Some Numbers - Is Sailing Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Cool project. I wasn't saying your boat was a beach find that you were fixing up. I really dont know what you have. I was just using that as an example that sometimes its better to just buy a working boat if you want to sail than to build/rebuild a boat. Didn't mean to offend. But if you ask a question, expect answers. If you dont like it, who cares. Im just some bot on the internet.

very true. It certainly can be better to just buy a boat. However, this boat is $1.7 million to buy off the shelf. Used.

The closest boat is a Gunboat 48. Take a look. they don’t come cheap.

So it was not possible for me to just simply buy a boat rather than building it. I don’t have that kind of money. I had to build the boat.

It was either that or give up cruising in general. Because this is the kind of boat I needed at this point after 35 years of finding out what I wanted through owning other boats.

I could have potentially got some very huge, older monohull. that would probably fit the bill for less money.

But in order to keep sailling, this is what I needed. this boat addresses all of the problems I have had over the years that made boating less than enjoyable.

assuming this boat is in working order, it is my idea of perfection on the water. That’s why you build one. Because there’s nothing available in your price range on the market.

you didn’t offend me. I just wish there was someway to put the story out there so when people posted they would know what they were talking about. But I guess the format of a forum is not conducive to that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 16:34   #122

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
very true. It certainly can be better to just buy a boat. However, this boat is $1.7 million to buy off the shelf. Used.

The closest boat is a Gunboat 48. Take a look. they don’t come cheap.

So it was not possible for me to just simply buy a boat rather than building it. I don’t have that kind of money. I had to build the boat.

It was either that or give up cruising in general. Because this is the kind of boat I needed at this point after 35 years of finding out what I wanted through owning other boats.

I could have potentially got some very huge, older monohull. that would probably fit the bill for less money.

But in order to keep sailling, this is what I needed. this boat addresses all of the problems I have had over the years that made boating less than enjoyable.

assuming this boat is in working order, it is my idea of perfection on the water. That’s why you build one. Because there’s nothing available in your price range on the market.

you didn’t offend me. I just wish there was someway to put the story out there so when people posted they would know what they were talking about. But I guess the format of a forum is not conducive to that.
I've been reading this forum, mostly lurking, mostly intermittently, but sometimes intensively for a number of years, and the last few posts of yours in this thread are the first time I've gotten a cohesive overview of your project. Thank you! I've been wishing for that! Just as you have.

What about putting up a simple web page with your story? Then you could include a link to it in a canned signature line. Hmm, I see chotu.com is taken. Is it yours by any chance? Put something up there!
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 16:49   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwh10 View Post
I've been reading this forum, mostly lurking, mostly intermittently, but sometimes intensively for a number of years, and the last few posts of yours in this thread are the first time I've gotten a cohesive overview of your project. Thank you! I've been wishing for that! Just as you have.

What about putting up a simple web page with your story? Then you could include a link to it in a canned signature line. Hmm, I see chotu.com is taken. Is it yours by any chance? Put something up there!
You know what? That’s not a bad idea.

that would help with these situations. Because all of us regulars on here know everything about my project, it would seem like everyone else does but they really don’t. So maybe when people are trying to make heads or tails of this boat build, it would be helpful to have a site like that.

i’ve had a pretty hard time. But I don’t really want a site complaining about that. That’s the only thing. A lot of people don’t know the stuff I had gone through in life outside of the boat build that put the brakes on it. But it’s an important part of the story. So when people post they are posting from a place of knowledge of my personal situation. (like I can’t live in a moldy boat, can't use epoxy or be exposed to the dust)

I would have to kind of think about how to put that together. And it’s another thing on my to do list that I really don’t need but, it might save a lot of aggravation so it might well be worth it.

Good idea!
Old 05-02-2023, 17:02   #124

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You know what? That’s not a bad idea.

that would help with these situations. Because all of us regulars on here know everything about my project, it would seem like everyone else does but they really don’t. So maybe when people are trying to make heads or tails of this boat build, it would be helpful to have a site like that.

i’ve had a pretty hard time. But I don’t really want a site complaining about that. That’s the only thing. A lot of people don’t know the stuff I had gone through in life outside of the boat build that put the brakes on it. But it’s an important part of the story. So when people post they are posting from a place of knowledge of my personal situation. (like I can’t live in a moldy boat, can't use epoxy or be exposed to the dust)

I would have to kind of think about how to put that together. And it’s another thing on my to do list that I really don’t need but, it might save a lot of aggravation so it might well be worth it.

Good idea!
It could be as simple or complex as you want, and it sure would save a lot of explaining and confusion. You could start with just a few paragraphs...you could even lift them from a few of the posts in this thread (copy and paste into a Word doc as a draft, then add/edit)...add some photos (or not)...tell about the Gunboat 48 connection (today is the first time I'd heard about that, and it's really cool), and whatever else comes to mind or seems relevant. Don't spend more than an hour or two on it to start. Then you can flesh it out later if you want to. Or not. Might be something to do on a rainy day when you're sick of wiring or plumbing or cleaning or whatever.

Oh, btw, I'm really glad that you don't have your entire story in one enormous thread because it would be thousands of messages, more like tens of thousands. Maybe it's just me, but I can't read threads like that. It's one long meandering string with no index, and it's impossible to track.
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 17:41   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwh10 View Post
It could be as simple or complex as you want, and it sure would save a lot of explaining and confusion. You could start with just a few paragraphs...you could even lift them from a few of the posts in this thread (copy and paste into a Word doc as a draft, then add/edit)...add some photos (or not)...tell about the Gunboat 48 connection (today is the first time I'd heard about that, and it's really cool), and whatever else comes to mind or seems relevant. Don't spend more than an hour or two on it to start. Then you can flesh it out later if you want to. Or not. Might be something to do on a rainy day when you're sick of wiring or plumbing or cleaning or whatever.

Oh, btw, I'm really glad that you don't have your entire story in one enormous thread because it would be thousands of messages, more like tens of thousands. Maybe it's just me, but I can't read threads like that. It's one long meandering string with no index, and it's impossible to track.
I like it! I’m going to do it.

And I agree with you about the individual threads. Each thread should be about a single topic. It’s much easier to read that way.

Thanks for the idea. This was a really good idea. Definitely easy to implement also.
Old 05-02-2023, 17:42   #126

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Chotu, you've already shown that you're on "the right path".
The majority of "home-built boats" rarely get as far as you have before they've gone thru a couple of owners, (and maybe a divorce).
Don't think about "Hope"; as some General said, "Hope is not a plan".
A common fallacy is the belief that in the beginning of the boat building process that there are a million things to do, and as you progress the list gets shorter.
Nothing is further from the truth.
As the process unfolds the jobs generally go from a few, (but large,) to a bunch of "medium", but important, and towards the end a large number of, shall we say, "pesky but needed", (like your sail control table).
It's easier to get overwhelmed by a billion little things than a few big things, the "death by a thousand cuts" if you will.
"This too shall pass."
Keep the Faith, you're on the home stretch.
Old 06-02-2023, 13:22   #127

Boat: Outremer 55L

When you wrote “no trampolines” I reflexively recoiled and thought “that’s crazy, he’s got to have trampolines”. But thinking a bit deeper, in your present situation, there’s no need for them.

Same for life lines - not necessary at this time. Though there’s a safety regulation aspect to life lines - any other country except perhaps the US would require life lines before you could register your boat. Without registering you can’t go overseas. And that would include additional life lines ‘protecting’ you from the holes between the hulls and catwalk forward.

I’m sure you’ll eventually decide to mount trampolines as they make the front third of your boat a comfortable lounging area and not a high wire act with three narrow passages. Laying on the tramps while sailing, or after nightfall to watch the stars, are some of our favourite things. If nothing else, launching and retrieving that spinnaker you’ve bought will be much easier with trampolines. Same for when you want to move from the front of the catwalk to one of the bows. They will also stop lazy sheets from falling into the water and going under your bridgedeck.

You can get cheaper netting from fishery suppliers or recreational trampoline makers. Stretch it out yourself, edge bind it to fit, then mount it. Of course, you will need track or saddles to install netting.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, sail