Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-10-2021, 03:59   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
My Rocna didn't hold in mud - a first. Confession from a cocky new gen anchor owner

Today my Rocna 55 broke out of hard mud and didn't reset. This happened in 11' of water with somewhere around 90' of scope. We were Med moored and the port stern kissed the quay causing a small amount of fiberglass damage. There was about 25 knots of wind on the starboard beam at about 60 degrees. Location Argostoli, Kefalonia, Greece.

I actually thought I'd broken my shackle as I pulled in the chain as it came so easy across the bottom. The tip of the anchor was a solid ball of mud, straight across, but not above the base of the roll bar. My anchor roller is about 4' above the water so it should have been a 6:1 scope.

My reason for posting is two fold. First, its reset my confidence with the anchor, which previous to this I would have considered faultless and bomb proof. And second, I've read so many post they have never had their anchor drag or trip no matter if it was used 400 times per year for 50 years. Well, I confess, mine did.

To round out the story, the only other two boats that were anchored also broke free at the same time. One with an Ultra and one with a Delta. No idea on scope in their cases. Maybe its mud here over a hardpan bottom and therefore didn't allow the anchor to bury anymore. I don't know but it does show the one major fault of the new gen anchors which is when they do break free, if plugged with mud, won't reset.

Tags
anchor, rocna