Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2021, 18:44   #1

My top 3 small boat boating mistakes

These are freshwater small boat mistakes from when i was growing up in Northern Minnesota very large lake.

1. I took out a two person paddle boat to go fishing. Wind picked up with white caps & the paddle was coming out of the water & i couldn't get the boat to go anywhere. Was a strong lesson in me vs. Mother nature. Finally came out & towed me in. Mom asked if i caught nething? Nope.

2. Grandpa had side mounted a trolling motor on a 14 foot v bottom fishing boat with a 9.9 outboard. I decided to come in right at dark as mosquitoes were deciding it was dinner time. Ripped the trolling motor off hitting side of the dock. Note to self mosquitoes & dark not best combo.

3. Showing off as young kid was driving circles around canoe with aforementioned fishing boat & hit canoe. No injuries but still Oops

Not too many automobile driving stupidities. Altho.... Did have one poor judgement fairly recently but i escaped with no damage. Shouldn't have though!

Soloed in couple airplanes / gliders no incidents.

No big boat/sailboat experience yet. Hopefully no stupidities to report if i do go the large boat route.

Someone said #1 accident is typically drunk power boaters. I don't drink so that shouldn't be an issue! I got lots of inexperience going though especially sailboat inexperience.
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, mistakes, small boat