Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 18:12   #61

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: i'm spending so much money it hurts

I think what RH is doing is venting a little. He understands mantaince, he understands the pit falls, and I think he understands what's ahead of him. I have always enjoyed reading his reply's to others. They are always well thought out and considerate. I have to give a big thumbs up to him for doing what he has dreamed of doing, given he has kid, or kids, I think one is on the way. He has decided to do this with alot of obsticals in the way that would stop most of us from doing it. I understand how once everything is in place to go, then finding a half a dozen things in the final inspection that don't pass inspection. I am sure that the heat exchanger and the rigging has been something on his mind for a while, that he has decided to take a closer look at before departing on a major voyage. He just didn't feel comfortable taking off after taking a closer look. Something anyone that values and respects there loved ones on the boat would or should do. All I got to say is, if RH is ever in FL and would like a place to moor up for a while, I hope he contacts me so I can extent a warm and friendly hand.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 18:17   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I think what RH is doing is venting a little. He understands mantaince, he understands the pit falls, and I think he understands what's ahead of him. I have always enjoyed reading his reply's to others. They are always well thought out and considerate. I have to give a big thumbs up to him for doing what he has dreamed of doing, given he has kid, or kids, I think one is on the way. He has decided to do this with alot of obsticals in the way that would stop most of us from doing it. I understand how once everything is in place to go, then finding a half a dozen things in the final inspection that don't pass inspection. I am sure that the heat exchanger and the rigging has been something on his mind for a while, that he has decided to take a closer look at before departing on a major voyage. He just didn't feel comfortable taking off after taking a closer look. Something anyone that values and respects there loved ones on the boat would or should do. All I got to say is, if RH is ever in FL and would like a place to moor up for a while, I hope he contacts me so I can extent a warm and friendly hand.
ditto if he gets this side of the atlantic on his travels
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 18:45   #63

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Hang in there Rebel Heart! I've been so close to finishing projects many many times and it seems like to get to the end point just costs an arm, a leg, and several other body parts but when its done its done and you will have a safe boat you and your family will enjoy for as long as you are able.

Good luck to you and yours and have a safe cruise.

kind regards,
Old 29-09-2012, 18:47   #64

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

PS. I have an old Perkins heat exchanger hanging around here somewhere. Its a stand alone and about double the size of a 4-108.

kind regards,
Old 29-09-2012, 19:32   #65

Quote:
That's really nice of you man. I'm really looking forward to meeting some great people. Sailors and cruisers on a whole are some pretty great people, and it will be awesome to meet up with some cruisersforum people worldwide.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 20:40   #66

Conduits don't have to be rigid. PVC bends a heckuvalot more than my steel hull anyway.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 23:48   #67

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I've met Alexandra, he parked next to me in Nelson, and he has a right to be proud of his achievements. His boat however is equipped with the technology and work of others and like most intelligent young people he will be one who has lived and been educated for most of his life on the earnings of others. It is entirely wrong to suggest that Rebel Heart who supports a family is greedy. Rather it is people who won't spend money who are the greedy ones. If they refuse to give to the workers of society, some won't even buy a coffee to support others. Rebel heart on the other hand is contributing greatly to the welfare of others,and not only that he gives gives and gives to support a family.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:13   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Conduits don't have to be rigid. PVC bends a heckuvalot more than my steel hull anyway.
LIQUATITE Conduit, Non Metallic, 50Ft, 1/2In - Liquid Tight Conduit - 4JC63|NM-11 - Grainger Industrial Supply

It makes running wires from point A to Point B so much easier. But it is costly, and would be best to put it in during construction. And I can't say for sure that it would help that much on a boat though.

There are other components that should be built and designed for full use in the middle of nowhere for decades without failure or degregation.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 14:03   #69

Yeah good point on the flexible conduit. I'd want big conduit if I put it in...maybe 2".... you're always running more wires in a boat! I guess it would provide some chafe protection, although I've never seen much chafe on a boat.... except at a moving item. A power boat I had had a big conduit from the stern to the dash. It was a PITA. I ended up disconnecting every wire and pulling them out of the conduit to rewire some things.... just couldnt pull them through.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 14:56   #70
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I'd pass on the Liquid tite, it's near impossible to make a new pull through it if it's longer than a few feet. Usually on a boat there would be way too many bends in any continuous conduit to make an easy pull in the future and multiple junction boxes don't make sense. But larger conduit sleeves installed through unreachable areas are a great and very inexpensive investment and worth the time it takes to install them, especially on Cats.
But as far as Rebel Heart venting on costs... weclome to the club.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 19:10   #71

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
I am not sure why anyone would let a guy like this get to you. He is obvoiusly living very megerly, on an old boat that probably looks as good as the amount of money he has spent on it. He has a point of view where he thinks everyone in the world that works hard and enjoys the fruit of there labor is stupid and is some how taking something from him. I see these guys from time to time, sometimes I hire them for a few bucks to clean something I don't want to. We realy should feel good that we don't have to be like him. These people are usually angry at the world and think everyone should be like them, they just don't understand that this isn't the way the real world works and if it did, no one would want to live in it.
Not exactly my point of view, but thank you for the post as it is much more constructive than the rest. Its not so bad working hard to enjoy the fruit of your labor.. as the current monetary system makes it completely unfair from one country to the next. Someone from India or Guatemala or somewhere is going to have to be extremely elite and wealthy to afford aboat for $100,000. so why rub it in their face by getting it and sailing there when you really don't need it? Sure $1000 is a bit minimalistic for most, but for 10-20k you can get a decent bluewater boat that can take you anywhere, why do you need more? Consumptionism is bad and will eventually bleed us all dry. Wait until the oil runs out and you will have to behave, in the mean time, enjoy.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 19:14   #72

Boat: Beneteau 36

On another note you could be spending that $20K on better things like property tax for the next few years! Now that would be exciting!

www.goneglobaladventures.com
Gone Global is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 19:46   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Not exactly my point of view, but thank you for the post as it is much more constructive than the rest. Its not so bad working hard to enjoy the fruit of your labor.. as the current monetary system makes it completely unfair from one country to the next. Someone from India or Guatemala or somewhere is going to have to be extremely elite and wealthy to afford aboat for $100,000. so why rub it in their face by getting it and sailing there when you really don't need it? Sure $1000 is a bit minimalistic for most, but for 10-20k you can get a decent bluewater boat that can take you anywhere, why do you need more? Consumptionism is bad and will eventually bleed us all dry. Wait until the oil runs out and you will have to behave, in the mean time, enjoy.
you quite obviously missed the point of the guy with the $100,000 dollar boat,when i posted,and you decided to become defensive and reactionary!

the gist of the post was that if you have a boat that still has a book value it would be stupid to modify it with inferiour materials,making it lose a disproportionate amount of its value purely by doing a satisfactory repair but on the cheap.
a bit like luxury cars with body filler that has never been resprayed!

if you would like to learn a bit about how the other half do it see my recycled boat thread.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 20:33   #74

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
YEAH,

$1000 A BIT MINIMALISTIC, so now you have modified your position in face of criticism.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 20:55   #75

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you quite obviously missed the point of the guy with the $100,000 dollar boat,when i posted,and you decided to become defensive and reactionary!

the gist of the post was that if you have a boat that still has a book value it would be stupid to modify it with inferiour materials,making it lose a disproportionate amount of its value purely by doing a satisfactory repair but on the cheap.
a bit like luxury cars with body filler that has never been resprayed!

if you would like to learn a bit about how the other half do it see my recycled boat thread.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html
I think he missed the gist of my post as I stated I used spectra not mild steel for rigging.. and the irony here is stainless is inferior to other materials for rigging anyway. For example, Galvanized lasts 3x longer if properly sealed, is stronger, doesnt work harden, can be hand spliced, and shows signs of rust before failure. I would value it much more highly than a boat with stainless rig as it only looks shiny but the practical value is much lower.

I initially posted to expose my techniques for cost reduction as this is the whole point of the thread. Maybe you can save on that watermaker by catching rainfall, or consider more used sails especially for long downwind passages and save the good ones from UV damage for when you need to go upwind. I forgot to mention I use a dehumidifier, forward osmosis or solar still for water generation for much less cost than the simplest watermaker. you can use nylon anchor line for sheets. Maybe you can post some more ideas as I am always interested here.

It seems sometimes, the accepted norm, is not always the most efficient, or cost effective, and alternatives should be explored, by everyone. This is especially true of the diesel engine.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money