Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-05-2014, 07:29   #1
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I Think I Saw MH370

OK, so between February 20th and March 10th we were crossing the Indian Ocean the wrong way from Cochin, India to Phuket, Thailand.

On the night in question (7th-8th March), I was standing a night watch alone. Well, sitting, really. Watching the stars, since I had been spending the passage identifying and learning a new constellation every night. And I thought I saw a burning plane cross behind our stern from port to starboard; which would have been approximately North to South. It was about half the height of other flights which I had been gazing at during that part of the passage.

Since that's not something you see every day, I questioned my mind. I was looking at what appeared to be an elongated plane glowing bright orange, with a trail of black smoke behind it. It did occur to me it might be a meteorite. But I thought it was more likely I was going insane.

At the time we were at the tail end of a very, very harsh passage into the weather which was had been mountainous, having been flooded badly from the anchor locker and swamped from the companionway so EVERYTHING was soaked, and stays breaking amongst other stuff which just piled up to make me flip. By this time my rucksack was packed, and the divorce planned. (We didn't actually divorce, we are fixing it)

When we hit land everyone was talking about the missing plane and asking if we'd seen anything. Since I had doubted what I saw and was emotionally in a bad way, I brushed over what I thought I'd seen, and focused instead on the stories of Boatie who was 'missing' on the Atlantic, and Eric and Charlotte who'd scuppered in the Pacific.

Besides, I thought, they'll find it.

But tonight I heard that they were looking in the wrong place, so HWMO and I looked back through our GPS log, and lo and behold, what we saw was consistent with the confirmed contact which authorities had from MH370.

My questions are:

1 - Who should I tell? And should I bother?
2 - If it was a plane on fire that I saw, how long would it maintain its flight and where would it be likely to end up.

Attached are screenshots of where we were at that time (the highlighted portion of our track).

Edit: I have made some corrections in red to my post where what I originally wrote was badly worded leading to misunderstanding. I have left the original wording in place. 02.06.14
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-05-31 16.10.14.jpg
Views:	14356
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	82132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-05-31 16.38.57.jpg
Views:	14398
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	82133  

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply