Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 19:52   #436

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Funny you should post this insight.

I just checked out the Longue Route race this morning. I couldn’t help contrasting the two races in terms of their marketing and presentation. The GGR is very slick in its presentation, glam web site, prolific updates and reporting.

By contrast the Longue Route guys seem as chill as Motessier himself.

But lovely to think of them all dotted about down there and poignant in light of your remarks on how hard it is to find each other down there without the aid of modern navigation systems.
Old 10-09-2018, 20:27   #437

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

"But lovely to think of them all dotted about down there and poignant in light of your remarks on how hard it is to find each other down there without the aid of modern navigation systems." quote by Gilow

I was thinking, to do the same as you Gilow, meet (some of) them, when they sail South of here (that is South of Cape Leeuwin). That is 300 NM, but how does one find them? If they transmit AIS, that would be feasible.

Of course I would stay a safe distance from each boat, not to interfere in any shape or form. Hehehe, to see Van Den Heede AND some of the others I had to stay at sea for 2 or more weeks???

Maybe call my boss and tell them I am seriously sick with a contagious disease and need to be isolated from the community for that time? Not sure if if I could pull that off... and certainly not after posting this.....
Old 10-09-2018, 22:16   #438

The GGR race, discussion and news

Hank, in your boat you’d have no problems tracking them down, at least in terms of speed. They give periodic GPS positions through their yellow bricks. Someone on shore could guide you in by HF if you didn’t have internet out there. (Reasonably likely).

Having the MMSI of the boat you’d like to meet should make finding them pretty easy if you have AIS, probably easy enough to get within 10 miles from the yellow brick data and AIS would do the rest.

Or chuck a SERIOUS sickie and come over to Tassie with me and wave from there.
Old 10-09-2018, 22:17   #439

Actually, I suppose the MMSI is searchable, at least for Captain Coconut. Not sure about countries other than Australia.

Edit: yes, just found Coconut.
Old 10-09-2018, 23:21   #440

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Or chuck a SERIOUS sickie and come over to Tassie with me and wave from there.
Thank you for the offer Matt, might take you up on it, got then some time off....
So, how do their (GGR boats) AIS work, send only not receive? Then finding them should not be too hard, as that 'visibility' is 30 to 70 NM. You're right, I have no internet via satellite, I could get updates from shore, via HF radio or sat phone. Got 4 days off next week, hmmm, too early, and 4 days is not enough.
Old 10-09-2018, 23:28   #441

My UNDERSTANDING from Don’s description is that they have full blown AIS (probably the sort I can only dream of owning) but that the units have been modified in some way so the skipper does not get any GPS displayed data.

Could be a software mod or might be as simple as a pair of wire cutters in the right place.

So from our point of view they should be as easy to find as any other ais equipped boat, easier given they are publicly broadcasting their position through yellow brick.

Of course all I have to do is hang around Hobart and they’ll come to me.
Old 11-09-2018, 15:30   #442
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Sussie is allowed to anchor and catch rainwater, just not get outside assistance. A clever plan, as she can was the salt off and collect clean rainwater in calm conditions. Stewart island would possibly be a better place to collect rain as Hobart is pretty dry. ..........
Yep, Hobart is dry - the second driest capital in Oz but Port Davey is closer to Sussie and way way wetter. However it would be better for us (at least, me) if she anchored in any of the wonderful anchorages around Recherché Bay and it's still a lot wetter than Hobart.

Let's hope she gets some good rain soon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 17:13   #443

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
https://maps.sail.cloud/home/event/19

This shows the positions of the Longue Route vessels as well as the GGR boats. Looks like four of them are around the same area as the GGR, with the lead boat Nehaj being very close to Abhilash. And three others south of capetown. Busy out there!Attachment 177189

Ooops,

And I did not know this race is under way.

My French friends will have a good laugh at me now!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:06   #444

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Ooops,

And I did not know this race is under way.

My French friends will have a good laugh at me now!

b.
And they should !!! Also they can have one at me too. Not speak French here although I did learn it at school but in the UK where we were taught to not like ( Hate ) the French. Also Catholics !!! What they do to young minds....Can we please all be friends ???
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 03:52   #445

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
And they should !!! Also they can have one at me too. Not speak French here although I did learn it at school but in the UK where we were taught to not like ( Hate ) the French. Also Catholics !!! What they do to young minds....Can we please all be friends ???

;-) Ha ha ha.

No longer today. I see plenty of good will, friendship and language skills in the young generation. Less sport spirit though ... I see mostly the older, slim people, grumpy about 'us' and 'them'. Just look at Brexit - most young voted stay, most retired voted 'pull out'.

No speak French here too but my partner does, and we tend to spend winters on Martinique, Guadeloupe and other francophone locations. Last time in Martinique tropical forest we bumped into Peter Gabriel. When he noticed my French is no speak he swiftly switched to English and then he alternated between French for my partner and English for me. We had a good laugh at the old world and parted in perfect peace. And I AM the older generation, the grumpy one, the 'us' vs 'them'. Peter too. Not that it was my choice but it was the way I was brought up.

So ... I am super happy the FRENCH race is on and rocking but it clearly suggests that alike GGR, most participants there are old (xxxxx - self-edited due to CF rules and customs and one former admin warning). Us vs. them. Wait some years and there will be no wars, no races. They will be all sitting on a couch flicking Netflix, sipping beer and chatting ... Frenglish, perhaps.

Until the sofa collapses. ;-)

;-)

Meanwhile the leader is going fast to Australia and the chasers are going ... errr ... it all depends. Some seem stuck and clinging to Africa too!

Cheers, a bientôt,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 03:58   #446

Well, Captain Coconut appears to have lightened his load and will now go faster because he is not carrying around so much 8mm film.
Old 16-09-2018, 18:57   #447

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Capt Coconut has chosen an interesting route, aling the coastline. Lots of shipping and tricky navigation. I bet he isn't getting much sleep, unless he is anchorung under the headlands?

Ahbilash is doing very well, up with Gregor now and Uku is well behind.

They have had some nasty weather. Mark slats was doing 6 knots under bare poles.
Old 16-09-2018, 23:22   #448

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Anchoring under headlands? Mmmm. Sometimes, in singlehanded racing, the anchor is a most powerful tool !

Ann
Old 16-09-2018, 23:50   #449

My kind of racing!
Old 17-09-2018, 00:41   #450

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Anchoring under headlands? Mmmm. Sometimes, in singlehanded racing, the anchor is a most powerful tool !

Ann
Not saying he actually has anchored under a headland, but coastal singlehanded stuff is pretty exhausting. Bet he will be glad to get back out to open water. Don has a chat thats just gone live. It probably talks about this but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Bit behind on my GGR stuff this week. I've been a single dad for a week. Hard work!

Tags
race