Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 04:18   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Tell Me Why?

Please someone tell why they were out in this with all the notice we've had?

http://news.sky.com/story/1004141/hm...e-of-hurricane
Old 29-10-2012, 04:38   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Tell me why?

One can only wonder. And assuming they were caught out, why haven't they run like hell for safety?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 04:41   #3

Boat: Looking...

Be a shame to lose that pretty vessel. Insurance for possibly decrepit wooden ship?
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 04:52   #4

Re: Tell Me Why?

Where they gonna run to? Sandy covers a huge area, she's picking up steam, and big seas in a slow boat in shallow water in the Graveyard of the Atlantic.

I don't know their coverage but I expect insurance won't cover named storms.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 04:53   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Here's a curious exchange from the HMS Bounty website's discussion board...
Quote:
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 pm
Bounty spent this past weekend in New London, CT. and left yesterday to head south to St Petersburg, Fla. We had a great time during our stay and spent time with some of the U.S. Navy on the ship. While we were there this week we took out the crew of the USS Mississippi for a sailing lesson. They were part of our crew climbing the rigging and furling sails. It was great! Thank you for joining us.

Bounty is 100 miles off shore and is running 8.6 knots on a course south by west. First heading due East to avoid the brunt of the storm. We have the best Captain to ever sail the 7 seas! We will keep you posted of her progress. God speed and may the winds be fairer than expected.
Quote:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 am
Traci,
It looks as though the Bounty has turned and is facing into the storm...
could you kindly explain the rationale of this?
Thanks.
Ziora
Quote:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:49 pm
As long as Sandy doesn't turn toward shore sooner than expected, it looks like they're out of the worst of it. It must be an incredibly gnarly ride though.
According to the first post, they left New London on Thursday. I think it was pretty clear from forecasts available at that time that Sandy was going to move north out of the Caribbean and up the East Coast. Yesterday, if they had current weather info, choosing to round Cape Hatteras to the west of the hurricane's center rather than duck into the Chesapeake Bay was an "interesting" decision, to put it mildly.
Old 29-10-2012, 04:54   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

My real question is where did they find so many people to crew given the conditions?
Old 29-10-2012, 04:56   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

If they dropped the pick before they left, I bet its still afloat in a week. Parked off some beach somewhere.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 05:00   #8

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Bummer. I skipped my cruise plans with a Wednesday forecast. There were already Force 9 winds forecasted. Hope it turns out alright.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 05:40   #9

Wow. Every time I think I've seen someone do the dumbest thing that a human could possibly do, someone else comes along to prove me wrong. Setting out almost directly into the path of this storm... Just, wow!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 06:53   #10

Now it's being reported the boat sank a few hours ago. As someone said ... "there's gonna be some splaining to do."
Old 29-10-2012, 06:54   #11

''The best captian ever'' think they still believe that??
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:01   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

From: At least 2 missing as Hurricane Sandy sinks HMS Bounty - Nova Scotia - CBC News

She said her husband, Captain Robin Walbridge, was trying to get around Hurricane Sandy en route to Florida.

"He was just trying to avoid it, skirt it. Skirt through it, skirt around it," McCann said Monday.

Another section:

Claudene Christian, whose daughter Claudene is a crew member on the Bounty, said her daughter had contacted her before heading out on her journey.

"She says, 'We're heading out and I just wanted to tell you and dad that I love you.' And I said, 'What are you saying that for?' And she said, 'Just in case something happens,'" Christian said in a phone interview from Oklahoma.

"She was truly and genuinely happy and loved the Bounty and loved what she was doing — and wanted us to know that just in case she went down with the ship."
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:03   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bounty had regular crew who paid way to be on her as a job.they also taught kids.. she was sailing to a SCHEDULE for a st petersburg appearance. guess that aint happening now.
rip bounty.
captain tried to sail around a 1600 mile diameter storm, as he didnt know the extent of it, i believe--normal ones, ye can find a way around--sandy is hugeous. bounty's tracker showed her path exactly into center of storm, 4 days ago. they were already over 100 miles out to sea, so , at the time, direction of sail was evenly balanced--go in and die or stay out and die..pray hard either way. crew is alive.
schedules sukk, bad.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:10   #14

Boat: OEM, proportional

So much for routing. Hope no lives are lost. Boats are replaceable. It was Bounty Mk II, after all. Insurance might be a bit squirrely on forking out the cash for this one. They didn't pay for the last one, either....
Old 29-10-2012, 07:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bounty had regular crew who paid way to be on her as a job.they also taught kids.. she was sailing to a SCHEDULE for a st petersburg appearance. guess that aint happening now.
rip bounty.
captain tried to sail around a 1600 mile diameter storm, as he didnt know the extent of it, i believe--normal ones, ye can find a way around--sandy is hugeous. bounty's tracker showed her path exactly into center of storm, 4 days ago. they were already over 100 miles out to sea, so , at the time, direction of sail was evenly balanced--go in and die or stay out and die..pray hard either way. crew is alive.
schedules sukk, bad.
Most everyone knew the projections for this storm a week ago, why didn't the captain? And 100 miles out is nothing, they could have easily turned back or in to the coast. By all appearance she was simply sailing to a schedule as you say and paid the price.