Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 07:37   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Tell Me Why?

Obviously, there will be some type of inquest. It will be interesting to hear what the captain has to say in defense of sailing out into that weather. It is difficult to imagine what he can say that will save his sorry ass.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:45   #17

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress

[QUOTE=zeehag; ...schedules sukk, bad.[/QUOTE]
Amen to that Zee:
When I taught beginning sailing, one of the things I tried to impress on my students was to avoid schedules. If the wind was contrary I'd tell them, go somewhere else, if you're uncomfortable with the weather, don't go. I'd add that people have died trying to keep to schedules -- which is sincerely hope is not true in this case

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:50   #18

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Have been rereading the Pardeys' book on storm tactics. Wonder if they tried to heave to. And if not, why not.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:53   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the track i saw was 4-5 days ago---both headed to meting dead center of storm--i knew we would hear from them, but .....i was hoping not sunk...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:55   #20

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

According to the news article now it looks like they originally said they had 17 aboard. The coast guard only saw 16 heat signatures and only 14 were pulled out with the choppers... Praying for the others...
Old 29-10-2012, 08:05   #21

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Experts abound with the benefit of hindsight!
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:10   #22

How much of an expert does one need to be to know, Stay out of a huricaine ??
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:47   #23

Yeah. Seriously. Any bonehead ought to know that sailing TOWARDS a hurricane is probably a plan that needs a little more thought!

I will be interested to hear the captain's explanation of his decisions, but for all appearances it looks like yet another terminal case of get-home-itis. Letting the schedule dictate your decisions, instead of adjusting the schedule based on intelligent decision-making.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:05   #24

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Well, it was no doubt dumb to leave the dock in the first place.

Once you're out there, however, it gets more complicated. Bounty was south of the storm center, which means, AFAIK, that winds would be westerly. Heading west would mean beating into increasingly tough seas as the water got shallower. Heading south probably would have meant facing some pretty tough water as well because of the wind/gulf stream combination.

So heading east -- essentially running before the wind -- might have been seen as the best available choice.

It would be wise to wait and hear the reasons rather than jumping to conclusions.

Interestingly, in the other thread on this topic, people are noting that the winds were reported to be about 40-45 knots with 5.5-metre seas -- awesome but not overpowering, one would think.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:08   #25

I agree once you are out there YOU ARE OUT THERE
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 10:25   #26

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

It does not make sense to me either. I can see heading out on Thursday, but yesterday how come they did not come into Norfolk, the magnitude of the storm was well known then and the owner was in communication with them. He should have told them to head into the Chesapeake Bay. On Saturday the National Hurricane Center was staying this was much much more than just a hurricane, but a hybrid storm covering a thousand miles.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:36   #27

UPDATE.
Quote:

Missing HMS Bounty Crew Member Found, Condition Unknown
Submitted by KFSM_Web_Staff
Monday, October 29th, 2012, 12:19pm
Topics: News

Claudene Christian, 42, a crew member of the HMS Bounty who went missing off the coast of North Carolina Sunday evening has been found, according to a family member.

Christian was found unconscious and alone, Patricia Saulsberry, her aunt, said.

Saulsberry, along with Christian’s parents who live in Vian, Okla., have been awaiting updates from the US Coast Guard since the replica ship sank in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

Saulsberry does not know her niece’s condition at this time, but said the rescuers began CPR when they found her. It’s believed Christian was in the water for 9 or 10 hours, according to Saulsberry.

Christian and the tall ship’s captain were the only two of the 16-member crew who didn’t make it into the lifeboats when the US Coast Guard attempted to rescue them 90 miles southeast of Hatteras, N.C.

No word yet if the captain of the ship has been found.

The generator went out on the ship while at sea Sunday evening, according to Christian’s mother, who is also named Claudene. The ship then began taking on water.

The ship was about 160 miles from the center of the storm when the crew attempted to board rescue boats, according to reports. Helicopters were also used in the rescue efforts.

Christian’s parents are expected to travel to North Carolina.

The ship was on its way from New London, Conn. to St. Petersburg, Fla. The tall ship was built for the 1962 movie “Mutiny on the Bounty.”

Christian last contacted her parents on Thursday, according to the mother. She called to tell them that she loved them and that she wouldn’t be able to contact them from the sea, the mom said.

Christian is a graduate of University of Southern California, as well as a former Miss Teen Alaska.

She is the creator of “Cheerleader Dolls.” Mattell first sued Christian in 1996 allegedly a copyright infringement, according to a report from the Sequoyah County Times.

Her aunt said Christian took an interest in ships after toured replicas of the Nina and the Pinta. She joined the crew of the HMS Bounty in May, according to Christian’s Twitter account.

she died. RIP
Old 29-10-2012, 15:54   #28

I dont get it either... just plain STUPID. Too bad, beuatiful ship. The last crew they found a little while ago (unresponsive-gone to hospital) is a friend of a friend.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:54   #29

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
If they dropped the pick before they left, I bet its still afloat in a week. Parked off some beach somewhere.

I was wrong.. No two ways about it
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:59   #30

RIP claudene christian.