Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 17:57   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Resurrection of Kanani

I'm convinced someone has to be paying yard fees on that boat. If not, it would have been sold off long ago. Wait until this Covid crud is gone and fly down fora week and ask around. You may make a few new friends there.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 23:36   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
If you look at a few of the pics of the hull, you will notice where the paint is scraped off down to the glass (right rear corner of the transom, a 4" circle on the SB quarter 6" above the waterline, Port side just forward of midship half way up the topside). You'll notice that the F/G is black.

The previous owner of Kanani had more $ than he knew what to do with. He had the entire hull shaved 1/4" and re-laid up with carbon fiber (using epoxy resin).

The 1st time that I had to work on the hull, I had no knowledge of this. When I was grinding out a spot to repair, the glass was black. I tried to contact the previous owner and was referred to his business manager who put me in touch with the guy that managed the boat. He told me the story.......just blew me away. I have no idea what he was thinking because the boat was built like a tank in the 1st place.

The reason I am posting this here is because the new owner may find this thread some day and this will explain a lot to him.....so he doesn't lose his mind trying to figure it out.
OMG, this was done in the late 1980's? Are you serious? The cost of an entirely new hull would have been cheaper!
Raincoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 08:04   #33

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
I know this has dragged on forever and a day but I just had a crazy idea. You know the boat inside out and probably have a record of the hull plate number. Is there no way to search that out? I bet if I challenged the CF members to hive mind a solution to tracking it down they'd have all kinds of wild ideas. Only 1 is needed to figure this out. Let's get some closure. We can totally do this [emoji106]

Surely somebody is crusing that way ....
Just sayin.
The hull # is 674755. It's been over 20-years now...... I gave up.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 12:09   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hire a private detective from Mexico. The boat will have checked out with the local Port Captain. Their record of the zarpe will tell where they were bound. I think at some point privacy laws may get in your way. It is possible the name was changed, as well. So it won't be easy. But you know that.

Another point of view could be that she has become an obsession for you. A Bhuddist would tell you it is non-attachment time.

Ann
Old 06-02-2023, 07:21   #35

Quote:
This may be a long story. I hope that I don't bore you all.

I purchased my 1980 Passport 45 ketch Kanani in 1990, in Hawaii.

To make a very long story short, I purchased her as insurance salvage, spent 3 years totally rebuilding her then sailed her around the world from 1993-2000. (this was my second circumnavigation).

When I sold her in 2000, it was like selling one of my children. It was and still is, quite painful as some of you might imagine.

The guy that I sold her to sailed her down to La Paz, Mexico and hauled her out for painting and left her on the hard during hurricane season (against my strongest advise).

In 2001 a hurricane came through La Paz (duh...what a shock) and Kanani was blown over along with several other boats. The owner had Kanani put back in the water and towed to another yard in La Paz where she has set, ever since.

One of the kind members of this forum saw her there in 2003 and sent me an email. I jumped on a plane and flew down there. What I found broke my heart. Both masts were broken and a lot of the woodwork was damaged and decaying from sun-rot.

I could not contact the owner but my understanding is that he removed the engine for some reason blah....blah.....blah. The yard wouldn't let me see down below.

Another member of this forum just emailed me and informed me that she is still sitting in the same spot that she was 8 years ago but there is one big difference.......there are 2 new masts sitting on cradles right next to the boat. The boat now has a new owner and it seems that she will soon be free to ply the seas once again.

It's funny how a boat becomes a living thing to a sailor after such an intimate relationship, over so many years and experiences.

I certainly wish the new owner all of the luck in the world and I really don't think that he has any idea what a wonderful, strong sailboat he has purchased. If anyway, someone here knows who purchased Kanani, I would love to be able to give the new owner her rich history.

23-years and not a word.....
Old 06-02-2023, 18:56   #36

Quote:
The hull # is 674755. It's been over 20-years now...... I gave up.
Quote:
23-years and not a word.....

I thought you gave up?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-02-2023, 03:09   #37

Boat: Passport 42

There was a post on here of someone looking at a Passport 45- Check it out. May be a clue, may be nothing
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 09:16   #38

I guess that I gave up too soon (sorta).

I found an add from Mexico where Kanani was for sale under the name of "Salsay Jazz". Evidently she has sold. Now, to find the new owners.

They put aluminum masts on her and made some nice changes. Looks like they may have overhauled the Ford-Lehman diesel.

They put the new chainplates on the outside of the hull which was smart and something that I always wanted to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kanani-Salsay Jazz.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	279601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kanani-Salsay Jazz5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	279602  

Old 14-08-2023, 09:32   #39

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

THATS FANTASTIC NEWS! You're almost there.
Old 14-08-2023, 13:11   #40

14 years later and a sort of happy ending.
Old 14-08-2023, 15:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
14 years later and a sort of happy ending.
Actually..... its 23-years later and some hope of a happy ending. However, my feeling is that a Mexican citizen may have bought the boat and there isn't much chance of us finding each other. I did a Google search for "Passport 45, Salsay Lady" and came up with nothing.
Old 14-08-2023, 15:44   #42

It would be interesting to know what country it is registered to.