Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 13:16   #1

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Resurrection of Kanani

This may be a long story. I hope that I don't bore you all.

I purchased my 1980 Passport 45 ketch Kanani in 1990, in Hawaii.

To make a very long story short, I purchased her as insurance salvage, spent 3 years totally rebuilding her then sailed her around the world from 1993-2000. (this was my second circumnavigation).

When I sold her in 2000, it was like selling one of my children. It was and still is, quite painful as some of you might imagine.

The guy that I sold her to sailed her down to La Paz, Mexico and hauled her out for painting and left her on the hard during hurricane season (against my strongest advise).

In 2001 a hurricane came through La Paz (duh...what a shock) and Kanani was blown over along with several other boats. The owner had Kanani put back in the water and towed to another yard in La Paz where she has set, ever since.

One of the kind members of this forum saw her there in 2003 and sent me an email. I jumped on a plane and flew down there. What I found broke my heart. Both masts were broken and a lot of the woodwork was damaged and decaying from sun-rot.

I could not contact the owner but my understanding is that he removed the engine for some reason blah....blah.....blah. The yard wouldn't let me see down below.

Another member of this forum just emailed me and informed me that she is still sitting in the same spot that she was 8 years ago but there is one big difference.......there are 2 new masts sitting on cradles right next to the boat. The boat now has a new owner and it seems that she will soon be free to ply the seas once again.

It's funny how a boat becomes a living thing to a sailor after such an intimate relationship, over so many years and experiences.

I certainly wish the new owner all of the luck in the world and I really don't think that he has any idea what a wonderful, strong sailboat he has purchased. If anyway, someone here knows who purchased Kanani, I would love to be able to give the new owner her rich history.

Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 13:54   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
8 years for a boat like that is just a little Sunday morning lie-lie.

Great news to see she'll be up and sailing again soon

Mark
PS Why won't the yard give you the owners contact details?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 14:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Now that's a great story, and a neat challenge for we cruisers.
Good luck on discovering the new owner, and encourging him in his efforts to re-launch her.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 14:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
8 years for a boat like that is just a little Sunday morning lie-lie.

Great news to see she'll be up and sailing again soon

Mark
PS Why won't the yard give you the owners contact details?
I would like to think that is was for the same reason that I would never give out any information on one of my tenants in my apt building.... However, it is more likely that they did not want anyone to know who the owner was to make it harder for him to sell the boat and there-by running the yard-bill up high enough for them to own it and sell it.

Can you imagine what the yard bill must have been after 8 years (96 months x ??.?? = ) .....OMG.

That's still my good old, realiable 9' Livingston dinghy sitting on the deck, in her chock.......
Old 06-01-2009, 15:01   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
I would like to think that is was for the same reason that I would never give out any information on one of my tenants in my apt building.... .......
I wouldn't do that either but I would take a note from someone and pass it on to one of my tenants.

Nice to see that someone is going to work on getting her back in the water.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 15:17   #6

If you look at a few of the pics of the hull, you will notice where the paint is scraped off down to the glass (right rear corner of the transom, a 4" circle on the SB quarter 6" above the waterline, Port side just forward of midship half way up the topside). You'll notice that the F/G is black.

The previous owner of Kanani had more $ than he knew what to do with. He had the entire hull shaved 1/4" and re-laid up with carbon fiber (using epoxy resin).

The 1st time that I had to work on the hull, I had no knowledge of this. When I was grinding out a spot to repair, the glass was black. I tried to contact the previous owner and was referred to his business manager who put me in touch with the guy that managed the boat. He told me the story.......just blew me away. I have no idea what he was thinking because the boat was built like a tank in the 1st place.

The reason I am posting this here is because the new owner may find this thread some day and this will explain a lot to him.....so he doesn't lose his mind trying to figure it out.
Old 06-01-2009, 15:45   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Your daughter gets married and then you find out the husband is abusive.

I really feel for you and this story. I hope the new owner can follow through, doesn't run out of money and restores her to her glory.

Keep us posted.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 16:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Your daughter gets married and then you find out the husband is abusive.

I really feel for you and this story. I hope the new owner can follow through, doesn't run out of money and restores her to her glory.

Keep us posted.
My prayer is that the new owner will find this thread and keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2009, 16:09   #9
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Great story, lets hope the new owner or somebodhy who nows him/her read this thread and keep the story going
Old 06-01-2009, 17:55   #10

Boat: Delphia 37
I can't image having something be such a huge part of my life then letting it go only to stumble upon it later in life. Must really be a mind trip if one allows it to be.

Hope to have a boat of my own some day!
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 18:27   #11

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dang Kanani...Now I owe you more beer ...your getting expencive...I might have to start charging you beer just to listen to them...

Thats a joke son...

Another great tale..thanks for sharing it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 17:14   #12

Re: Resurrection of Kanani

It's been a long time since I've logged on to this...... really disappointing that there is no new news.

I have since retired, bought a home in Fallbrook CA and a ClassA land yacht. I may just take another trip down to La Paz someday and see if Kanani is still withering there.
Old 08-01-2015, 15:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
It's been a long time since I've logged on to this...... really disappointing that there is no new news.

I have since retired, bought a home in Fallbrook CA and a ClassA land yacht. I may just take another trip down to La Paz someday and see if Kanani is still withering there.
Well....... another year gone by and still no word.......
Old 08-01-2015, 17:13   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hey Kanani!! A blast from the past!

Gord and me are still here. Dan (ex-calif) pipes up sometimes...

So other old folks...

Hows life treating you?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 17:24   #15

Quote:
It's funny how a boat becomes a living thing to a sailor after such an intimate relationship, over so many years and experiences.

Brigantine Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wgewaldii is offline   Reply With Quote