Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2022, 12:48   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: GGR 2022 race, news and discussion

It looks to me like they will all be going into headwinds within 24 hours, and continuing for some days.

Tapio Lehtinen looks to be best positioned for this big header, in better wind and his boat is far better for windward work. I look to see him well into the lead within 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GGR 20220908.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	264147  
Old 08-09-2022, 13:39   #32

Boat: Sabre 34II

Why do people think these skippers are not capable of this endeavor? I mean, they have thousands of miles next their keel including solo. I am curious..

Also, a year or 2 ago there was a CF member (Canadian I believe) who inquired about buying an appropriate boat, not sure of his name and not sure if he’s in the race. If he is - kudos to him and I will be rooting for him.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 14:03   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I disagree, Thomm. Without handicap racing for dissimilar boats there would be very few races. For example: I'd never be able to race my boat; there just are not enough to have a fleet anywhere.

But I've raced some 450-500 sailboat races always handicap racing under some rule or the other mostly under PHRF. The biggest, fastest, and often most expensive, boat will often come across the line first. But IT IS HANDICAP RACING so some boat with a slower rating can come in later and win. We understand this and we appreciate it. Skill trumps money in PHRF.
Yeah I have about that same number of races (buoy and distance up tp 100 miles) and I only really enjoyed winning a regatta when I was first over the line or at least first to the 10 mile windward mark against faster boats.

I did do quite a bit of one design racing though with the Hobie 16 and a few even with the Nacra 17 but mostly PHRF
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 14:07   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

At least a few that were stuck in very light winds near the coast of Spain were able to tack and get some sea room including Kirsten Neuschafer who appears to be on a pretty good tack at the moment.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 14:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
...Also, a year or 2 ago there was a CF member (Canadian I believe) who inquired about buying an appropriate boat, not sure of his name and not sure if he’s in the race. If he is - kudos to him and I will be rooting for him.
Unfortunately there is no appropriate boat. None of the approved boats are appropriate for racing around the world. There will be retirements and damage and hopefully no injuries or death. I think this whole GGR race idea is a contrived exercise thought up by someone who is probably not doing it.
Old 08-09-2022, 14:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
At least a few that were stuck in very light winds near the coast of Spain were able to tack and get some sea room including Kirsten Neuschafer who appears to be on a pretty good tack at the moment.
Expect a steady backing wind as these boats try to get around Cabo Ortegal. That will be a port tack lift. Kirsten is far to the outside of that lift. She will be headed on starboard tack and may come out behind the boats on the inside. Her best hope is that she gets better breeze away from the coast and they get stalled in a big wind hole.

Then, there is a low coming. A big low. Anyone who can get to the east of it will have clear sailing. If you're caught on the beach to the west of it, it will be a struggle.

But these folks don't have Windy, do they? It's like crossing the freeway blind folded.
Old 08-09-2022, 16:45   #37

Boat: Herreshoff 36

They don't have weather forecast, but I doubt they would rely on sextant or DR in this age, when your watch can give you your precise position. I don't know what the exact rules are, but how do you enforce not to have an electronic device on board for that purpose?
Old 08-09-2022, 17:12   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahun View Post
They don't have weather forecast, but I doubt they would rely on sextant or DR in this age, when your watch can give you your precise position. I don't know what the exact rules are, but how do you enforce not to have an electronic device on board for that purpose?
No, that is incorrect. They may have HF radio (SSB, HAM, etc) and Radio
HF weather fax. So they are able to listen to High Seas Weather forecasts, and they can receive weather fax (presumably on paper, since a computer is not allowed).

These methods of receiving weather information is time consuming and difficult while single handing in a race beating along a lee shore, so they may be excused if they don't see what is coming.
Old 08-09-2022, 17:16   #39

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Ultimately,Moitessier did win,he saved his soul ,in an increasingly commercial world,this was important to a somewhat mystic solo sailer,was on board Joshua and Suhaili at the start of the last GGR in the south of France ,verry different vsls but both Verry ocean going .⛵️⚓️🏝
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 17:22   #40

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

The rules for this race are verry simple the gear available in 1968 ,with few exceptions,for ultimate safety ,are it ,they are all on the web sight for the GGR ,⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 17:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
The rules for this race are verry simple the gear available in 1968 ,with few exceptions,for ultimate safety ,are it ,they are all on the web sight for the GGR ,⛵️⚓️
The rules for this race are very simple alright, to say nothing of being very stupid.
Old 08-09-2022, 18:23   #42

Power hungry devices, so most boats are full of (flexible) solar panels, which were not available in '68. So, where and why the lines were drawn? Interesting. Still it's a good race and more relatable than the Vende Globe.
Old 08-09-2022, 21:47   #43

From FAQS on the official website:

'10) Can my shore support give me weather reports?
Yes. They can relay any issued weather report from any source, but they cannot give you
any suggested track to follow, as that would be considered ”Weather routing” and is not
allowed.'
Old 09-09-2022, 07:10   #44

Right now (Friday 14:00gmt) the brave move might be to try to pass west of the oncoming low. Only Tapio Lehtinen is making a move that direction but the next three days will be tough as the low comes in from NW. We'll see if he persists.

Meanwhile Lawless and Curwen seem to be playing the coast and being close to the rumb line they will show gains.

The next pack will probably see northerly winds fill as they round the corner and approach Cape Finnesterre, which they will undoubtably welcome.

It's all a chess game, an interesting one, and a very long race to go.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:12   #45

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Unfortunately there is no appropriate boat. None of the approved boats are appropriate for racing around the world. There will be retirements and damage and hopefully no injuries or death. I think this whole GGR race idea is a contrived exercise thought up by someone who is probably not doing it.
Considering your racing experience it is disappointing to see you have such strong negative opinion of this race. People do crazy things all the time, there are a number of extreme sports where fatality risk is higher than GGR, how many sailors died in 2018 GGR? I wouldn’t free climb the half dome but there are people who do it. I think the idiom “to each their own” applies very well here. I personally cannot do what these skippers are doing, but I can certainly respect their decision and enjoy the race like any other sailing race.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race