Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 21:01   #256

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami Beach)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
......after providing publicity of the event in an ActiveCaptain newsletter to probably 50,000 boaters, I really think I deserve an answer to this......
50,000?
Old 01-07-2011, 21:01   #257
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Jeff, since it's you asking, I'm going to answer here, rather than pm you as I did someone else.
I had absolutely no idea when I suggested Anchor Fest that the idea would take off, that people would get inspired, get behind it, want to be involved. The suggestion was made more with the idea of grabbing people's attention, focusing them on the problem and it worked - perhaps too well.
Also at that time, I anticipated being quite a bit further north at this point but some boat problems and work obligations held me up. Had I actually made it to the Great Lakes, flying back wouldn't have been such a problem but I'm badly behind schedule and can't possibly take even the two to three days that Anchor Fest would take from me.
Over two weeks ago, when it became obvious from the interest that it was actually going to be an 'event', I started looking at ways that I could handle my own obligations, schedule AND budget so as to be able to go to Miami. That included somehow laying my hands on a boat as well, since it wouldn't make a lot of sense to cheerlead from the vacant lot beside Karlton's property, a lot that he likely owns anyway .
I realized that I couldn't possibly make it down - and so started working on finding a local organization that could take the event over and, hopefully, make an annual event of it. That search has taken more than a few hours, as you can likely imagine.
Sail Miami, who were one of the first groups to publicize this event in the Miami area itself, indicated they were interested.
It's not an event that can be organized from a distance. You, of all people, understands how awkward it is to plan anything while out cruising - much less organize an event for the first time from hundreds of miles away. It's a credit to you that you manage as superbly as you do. Of course () you have your most capable wife helping you!
In this case, having someone on hand for this event who is local and known to local boaters is an optimal solution for many reasons. There will be someone on hand to let celebrants know that excessive noise, etc. isn't what this is about, and to provide organization and a focal point for questions.
In any event, the die is now cast, and I believe that Sail Miami will handle this event quite well.
Old 01-07-2011, 21:10   #258
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
50,000?
Yeah, we currently have 110,000 users and about half get the newsletter. I wrote the email processing software myself and it all gets logged and checked. We've put out 68 newsletters to date:
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/index.php
Old 01-07-2011, 21:14   #259
cruiser

Quote:
I really think I deserve an answer to this one, direct, yes-or-no question:

On June 1st when you put out the idea of Anchor Fest, did you know that there was little chance that you would be at Sunset Lake let alone the state of Florida on July 4th?
Wally, instead of providing a 300 word answer, do you think you might answer my one, direct, yes-or-no question?
Old 01-07-2011, 21:23   #260
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Jeff - I never thought that anyone would take the idea of an 'Anchor Fest' protest seriously. Had I realized the can of worms I would be opening, and the amount of time and effort this has cost me that could have been spent on earning a living and getting north, I probably would never have suggested the idea.
That being said, the central issue, that of dealing with Karlton, would still have happened because sorting out this anchoring issue was the real point of all this anyway.
Old 01-07-2011, 22:40   #261

Boat: PETERSON 44
Now this is a anchor thread! Can you imagine 1 guy anchoring just one guy. The police come out and ask him to move because the people don't like his type. Now cannednooks has been damn eloquent and persistent .but if he wants to sing a little song about injustice and anchoring in Miami we might call him crazy. If a few people went out anchored and sang a few lines that would be a protest . We could lock them up for an unlawful gathering and declare them unfit for service to our country. Imagine now 10 people go out drop anchor fly burgees 10 people out anchoring carrying on singing we got ourselves a disturbance. If 100 boats came, ratted up flew burgees ,dropped anchors and started singing a song about the Miami beeech anchoring fiasco well you know that's a movement. One thousand boats 1/50 of active captains mailing list all anchored out, ratted up, flying burgees, singing a song they might especially today they just might call it a revolution. This was a thread about anchoring right you reember anchoring don't you.... Happy independence day
Old 02-07-2011, 00:50   #262

Boat: Custom

I have just spent a quiet Saturday afternoon in Australia reading a thread about one blokes anchoring crusade in Miami Beach USA

What an amazing study of human psychology this will one day make. Not only for the OP and his actions in response to the antagonizer but the crowd reaction worldwide. (I believe psychologists call it a mob but I prefer crowd)

The ebb and flow of support for and sentiment against the OP is truly amazing and would, in some way, be a great basis for a book or perhaps a screenplay.

I make the observation to highlight the amazing power of the web. It has generated over 260 comments from around the world about what is, in it's barest form, a local matter. A mere 10 years ago, you would have struggled to get a letter to the editor published in a local paper let alone garner such a groundswell of emotion.

I for one am not sure if this is a good or bad thing, time will tell I guess, but I am certainly glad I can watch a much bigger show than was available only a decade ago.

Thanks for the afternoon of reading.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01   #263

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Quote:
Wally, instead of providing a 300 word answer, do you think you might answer my one, direct, yes-or-no question?
The answer to your question Jeff, is no he can't give you a yes or no answer.

At first I was really excited someone was willing take this guy to task. If I had been on the right coast I would have planned on being there. Then when it became clear that the one stirring the pot was not going to be there my feeling started to change. Then we find out he NEVER intended to be there. Now he says he never even intended that the event happen.

This whole situation is pathetic and I am afraid now it will do more harm than good. I HOPE I AM WRONG.

My .02
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10   #264

I think the benifit to the boating community will still be the same if the op shows up or not This was never about him rather the home owner
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26   #265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Now this is a anchor thread! Can you imagine 1 guy anchoring just one guy. The police come out and ask him to move because the people don't like his type. Now cannednooks has been damn eloquent and persistent .but if he wants to sing a little song about injustice and anchoring in Miami we might call him crazy. If a few people went out anchored and sang a few lines that would be a protest . We could lock them up for an unlawful gathering and declare them unfit for service to our country. Imagine now 10 people go out drop anchor fly burgees 10 people out anchoring carrying on singing we got ourselves a disturbance. If 100 boats came, ratted up flew burgees ,dropped anchors and started singing a song about the Miami beeech anchoring fiasco well you know that's a movement. One thousand boats 1/50 of active captains mailing list all anchored out, ratted up, flying burgees, singing a song they might especially today they just might call it a revolution. This was a thread about anchoring right you reember anchoring don't you.... Happy independence day
So, where are the (27) "8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence" ?

Old 02-07-2011, 04:59   #266

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

You folks who have promoted this event don't know how it's going to go down. There's an undercurrent of malicious vibe permeating this thread, whether jutified or not. It could be a bust or a riot, and anytime there is a mob there's a good chance just one or two bad apples will turn it into a fiasco and generate negative publicity. It's a risky event likely to backfire and justify tighter restrictions. All it takes is someone with a bad temper and poor judgment who gets out of line, or someone with an interest to send a few low-lifes to seed the group and make sure it goes that way.

Then you're associated with it and you have a mess on your hands, and the reverse is accomplished. If I were Jeff and Canucksailor I'd try to call it off. You don't know how that's going to go down, and won't even be there.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49   #267

Boat: PETERSON 44
A little civil unrest is good. I'm wondering if sone guy in Egypt just for a lark wrote on facebook I'm tired if this and am going down to the square and sitting down not thinking anything would come of it. Good on you cannuck
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01   #268
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
The answer to your question Jeff, is no he can't give you a yes or no answer.
This whole situation is pathetic and I am afraid now it will do more harm than good. I HOPE I AM WRONG.
I'm saddened and shocked by the turn of events here. Wally made it quite clear that he was organizing, promoting, and attending the event. From his very first posting in this thread there are a variety of "I" statements like:
"I hope to see everyone at Anchor Fest. You can get more details on Facebook, just search for Anchor Fest or Anchor Fest Miami Beach."

Wally accused police and city officials of being influenced by politics and having ethical issues. He pushed the idea of corruption in Miami and even got in contact with the ethics department from the police department. I can only imagine the accusations he made to local newspapers. You'd think that while throwing stones, he'd stay far away from misleading his personal intentions.

It's quite clear that Wally had no intention of being at Sunset Lake. He allowed 30 days of this story to whip up before unloading the real information the weekend of the event.

I'm totally in favor of promoting anchoring rights. My wife and I live aboard for 9 months a year and do a substantial amount of anchoring. I don't, however, think that Wally acted responsibly in this case. I certainly learned a lesson that I won't be involved nor promote future events, rallies, or causes that he's the champion of. I believe his actions hurt this cause. Instead of long explanations, there should be apologies.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:21   #269

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Get over it Jeff, you're beginning to sound peevish.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:33   #270
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
So, where are the (27) "8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence" ?
Darn. Slept late and Gord beat me to it.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations