Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 13:05   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 - 36' - FREE REIN
Pirates in Bahamas ?

Hi...I am new to this forum. We are planning a 9 week cruise from Southern FL to the Bahamas this spring. We are hoping to make it down to the Exumas. With all of the news of pirates world wide right now...I'm just wondering if any of you have heard about any incidents in the Bahamas. We do not carry fire arms, so would like any info or tips you could offer. Thanks! Deb on FREE REIN
DebSV FREE REIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Pirates in Bahamas??

Have not heard of any issues in the Bahamas since one or two isolated incidents back in the late seventies when the Colombians were moving cocaine through the islands.

Outside Nassau, probably one of the crime free places to cruise on the planet. Even in Nassau just use the same care you would use in any large US city.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Deb.

Don't worry about piracy, nor personal safety, in the Bahamas. Enjoy your cruise!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:14   #4

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

Deb,
I've been cruising the Bahamas for the past forty years. Piracy reports were evidenced durring the "drug days" with fast boats being the primary targets. Sailboats have always been lowest on the food chain for those guys. Keep a low profile, be respectfull, use common sense and you will find the only "pirates" in the Bahamas are some store and rest. owners at the tourist trap towns. Thjey are right btw, it is better in the Bahamas.
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:18   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I haven't heard of any signifcant problems outside of Nassau. A couple of years ago we were told by the locals on Long Island to stay away from the Jumentos due to drug runners, but nothing about pirates.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:19   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Be careful in Black Point. If you come ashore with a bag of laundry, a woman may appear in a golf cart, throw your laundry in, ask you to sit beside her, and drive you to the laundromat. It all happens so fast, you hardly know what happened. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:43   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Be careful in Black Point. If you come ashore with a bag of laundry, a woman may appear in a golf cart, throw your laundry in, ask you to sit beside her, and drive you to the laundromat. It all happens so fast, you hardly know what happened. . . .
Another risk at Black Point to be VERY careful of! While you are getting FREE fresh water at the town tap, the chief of police may very well come up to you with a BIG smile, and ask how you are enjoying your stay!

For us... this was right after my wife ran the laundromat for several hours, because the proprietor needed to run errands. She left my wife (whom she'd never met), in charge of the store, cash register, etc. "Trusting soul".

She MUST'VE been up to no good!

M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

There is no piracy in the Bahamas as it exists in Somolia but there is some boat theft especially around Nassau, and the Hatians are in a drug war for control of the trafficing and distribution in the Bahamas right now. You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time down here and have a problem. You don't hear about the bad news because there is a very serious effort to keep it quiet and protect the tourist industry.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:21   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
There is no piracy in the Bahamas as it exists in Somolia but there is some boat theft especially around Nassau, and the Hatians are in a drug war for control of the trafficing and distribution in the Bahamas right now. You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time down here and have a problem. You don't hear about the bad news because there is a very serious effort to keep it quiet and protect the tourist industry.
I don't know anything about the Haitian situation, but we don't even pass through Nassau! We don't have any interest in big U.S. cities either, for that matter! It's just not what I took up cruising for.

The Bahamas is a big country. The only place we would never go again, (besides Nassau), is Andros. We didn't feel unsafe there, but for a month we felt quite "unwelcome". Having U.S. nuclear submarines both under and around us, (in the Tongue of The Ocean), didn't give us a warm fuzzy feeling either. Then there was the swirling current at Middle Bight", and swarming yellow flies! Ahhh, those were the days...

Go anywhere else in the Bahamas, and use common sense. It is one of the cruising wonders of the world. For now...

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	268.JPG
Views:	755
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	24479  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:26   #10

Like everywhere else the Pirates are easy to recognize, they usually wear suits and ties or uniforms.
Old 03-03-2011, 14:28   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

There are a few pirates in the Nassau area, but they usually hang around the Cruise Ship Docks and try to braid your hair or sell you a tee shirt for twice what it is worth. Other than that, it is one of the safest cruising grounds you will encounter. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:55   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Like everywhere else the Pirates are easy to recognize, they usually wear suits and ties or uniforms.

Some people rob you with a six gun, some rob you with a fountain pen.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 - 36' - FREE REIN

Thanks everyone.... I am getting so excited to go. This will be my first time! Anything I should stock up on that is hard to get over there??? I'm vegetarian, but do eat cheese and eggs. ....and I do like my wine!
DebSV FREE REIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:39   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Deb, I suggest you start yourself a new thread on the vegetarian question. You should start it under the provisioning forum. My experience is that fresh vegetables and fruit are often hard to come by in the Bahamas. One often only finds them within a day or two of the supply boat arrival at many out islands. I also find that a lot of local food is cooked with lard. I suppose it depends on the strictness of your vegetarian life style how important this is to you. I'm not a vegetarian but I believe there must be a bunch of them that cruise the bahamas and can give you good advice. A thread about bahamian pirates is probably not going to attract too much advice on a vegetarian lifestyle in the Bahamas.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cruised the Bahamas as a veggie and it is doable but getting fresh fruits and vegetables can be challenging. Except for a few larger towns, mainly Nassau, Freeport, Marsh Harbor, Georgetown, the local markets will carry very little fresh food.

Last time I was there whole grain products were not to be found. That may have improved in recent years but I would go ahead and stock up on whole grains, dried or canned beans, anything else dried, canned or stores well that you would want to have in your diet.

Take veggies that keep well like onions, garlic, cabbage, potatoes. Sprouting on board can contribute some fresh greens. You can plan your cruise to periodically pass through the larger settlements to pick up on fresh stuff. Be prepared for sticker shock. Almost all fresh food is imported from the US and not cheap. Though tropical, the Bahamas are fairly dry and agriculture is limited. Even things you might expect in tropical locations like pineapples and bananas are rare and usually epensive.

In the smaller settlements find out what day the mail boat (which carries all the supplies to the town, not just mail) arrives. That will be your best chance to get any fresh food at the local markets.

Most towns have at least one family that bakes fresh bread for sale. Sometimes very good but seldom whole wheat.

Not sure about wine but beer is very expensive. Rum is very cheap.

Should be fine as long as you can be a little flexible. I even managed to eat at local restaurants fairly often.

Have a great trip. PM if you want to discuss further.

Skip

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas