Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 14:59   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami Beach)

Quote:
"All Miami Beach and area boaters are invited to an ‘Anchor Fest’, to be held on July 4th, starting at 2 p.m.
Be a shame if he went away for the weekend and missed it especially with a front row seat. I would expect Cruisers Forum members to show decorum and respect for at least most of the day
Old 30-06-2011, 16:38   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltermorl View Post
Now that's funny, after all the talk.....
My thoughts exactly.
Old 30-06-2011, 16:51   #243

Boat: Shopping

You guys have no idea how much I would like to attend. Good times. I look forward to the posts of the event.
Old 30-06-2011, 20:41   #244
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

A note to all the usual suspects here: as a result of my efforts, cruisers can now anchor in Sunset Lake without being bothered by the police. Hopefully, that also goes for the neighbours, but that I obviously cannot guarantee. The job I set out to accomplish, is done.
For those of you criticizing the fact that I cannot attend Anchor Fest because I happen to have a life to live and am actually several hundreds of miles away as I write this - I don't see you offering to supply me with air miles or cash to get there, a boat to use while I'm there or funds to rent one, a hotel room, cab fare, etc. etc.
Yes, it's unfortunate that I cannot be there, but I've spent the best part of two weeks trying to arrange for a local sailing organization to take this on.Hopefully, that will happen. But if it doesn't, perhaps one of you critics will offer to head to Miami and stand in for me, instead of doing nothing but criticize?
Or, if you're willing to put your money where your mouths are, pony up a thousand bucks for me to go, and which is likely about the value of the time I've spent on this effort, instead of enjoying myself sailing, or getting back to the Great Lakes to see my girlfriend and my family and friends.
Criticism is very easy, isn't it? Much easier than accomplishing the thing you're criticizing. I trust that I've made my point.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:43   #245

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

As far as if you have accomplished anything or not, no one knows. This weekend will not tell anything either. I doubt the police or Karlton for that matter would do anything with 100 people their. The real test will be a month from now when one lonely cruiser decides to anchor there.

As far as people criticizing you. What do you expect? You stir up a big pot, create an event, set a date for the event that you obviously had no intention of attending, then say if someone will pay my expenses I will go.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:31   #246
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
As far as if you have accomplished anything or not, no one knows. This weekend will not tell anything either. I doubt the police or Karlton for that matter would do anything with 100 people their. The real test will be a month from now when one lonely cruiser decides to anchor there.

As far as people criticizing you. What do you expect? You stir up a big pot, create an event, set a date for the event that you obviously had no intention of attending, then say if someone will pay my expenses I will go.
Seems to me that Canuck accomplished quite a lot, starting with putting a public spotlight on an abuse of power in Miami Beach. If you feel like there is a risk of the local authorities backsliding then why don't you volunteer to pick up the torch?

As to what he expected, I doubt Canuck went into this for the public adulation he would receive, but after sticking his own neck out and devoting a lot of time and effort to the issue, to be hammered for going back to living his life is pretty unreasonable, at least in my opinion.

Then asking someone to pay his expenses, I believe that is what you might call sarcasm, a comment made not in seriousness but to highlight the fact that those that like to criticize the doers are usually the last ones to do.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:34   #247
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
But we'd be free!!!!!

free to die in a fireball or get blown to bits.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:12   #248

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
cruisers can now anchor in Sunset Lake without being bothered by the police.
If you pass Annapolis on your way home stop by for a drink on me.

I'll cry on your shoulder about our little anchoring challenge here.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19   #249

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Seems to me that Canuck accomplished quite a lot, starting with putting a public spotlight on an abuse of power in Miami Beach. If you feel like there is a risk of the local authorities backsliding then why don't you volunteer to pick up the torch?

As to what he expected, I doubt Canuck went into this for the public adulation he would receive, but after sticking his own neck out and devoting a lot of time and effort to the issue, to be hammered for going back to living his life is pretty unreasonable, at least in my opinion.

Then asking someone to pay his expenses, I believe that is what you might call sarcasm, a comment made not in seriousness but to highlight the fact that those that like to criticize the doers are usually the last ones to do.

Agreed!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30   #250

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor
A note to all the usual suspects here: as a result of my efforts, cruisers can now anchor in Sunset Lake without being bothered by the police. Hopefully, that also goes for the neighbours, but that I obviously cannot guarantee. The job I set out to accomplish, is done.
For those of you criticizing the fact that I cannot attend Anchor Fest because I happen to have a life to live and am actually several hundreds of miles away as I write this - I don't see you offering to supply me with air miles or cash to get there, a boat to use while I'm there or funds to rent one, a hotel room, cab fare, etc. etc.
Yes, it's unfortunate that I cannot be there, but I've spent the best part of two weeks trying to arrange for a local sailing organization to take this on.Hopefully, that will happen. But if it doesn't, perhaps one of you critics will offer to head to Miami and stand in for me, instead of doing nothing but criticize?
Or, if you're willing to put your money where your mouths are, pony up a thousand bucks for me to go, and which is likely about the value of the time I've spent on this effort, instead of enjoying myself sailing, or getting back to the Great Lakes to see my girlfriend and my family and friends.
Criticism is very easy, isn't it? Much easier than accomplishing the thing you're criticizing. I trust that I've made my point.
Canucksailor, I have watched this thread with great interest and admiration for the American way - but man - where I'm from you were the one arranging this whole thing and if it were me I sure Would have made very sure that I would be there ----- quite a shock really. You surely would have to understand the disappointment of those who have been following you?
Old 01-07-2011, 19:49   #251
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Quote:
Glad someone caught that, lol. That was sarcasm, plus a heavy dose of cynicism too.
In response to the poster who noted that a lot of people following would be disappointed I won't be there, I agree, and I'm the first one. Now, stand by for an announcement after an explanation.
The entire Anchor Fest was never intended to happen. It was a way of bringing pressure to bear, of making people stand up and pay attention to the issue and, like Frankenstein, it's developed a life of its own. Veddy scary!
Trust me, had I realized this was gonna happen, I'd (probably!) never have brought the idea up.
But I did, and I agree - I do have a responsibility for it. And that, mes amis, will be the subject of the next post.
Old 01-07-2011, 19:51   #252
cruiser

Here is the press release sent out today about Anchor Fest.

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the very first Miami Beach Anchor Fest will be sponsored and overseen by a local organization, Sail Miami (Miami Boating, Marine, Watersports Magazine and Directory for Florida, US East Coast and the Bahamas).
Those of you who have followed the issue of anchoring in Miami Beach are aware that certain individuals who own property surrounding Sunset Lake do not appreciate boaters anchoring there. Some of them have gone as far as harassing boaters with loud music, and spotlights on their boats at night. This, despite the fact that those at anchor are completely within their rights.
Recently, one of these neighbors began calling the police to have boaters at anchor told to move. Again, it must be noted, the boaters at anchor had every right to anchor - and the police did not have the right to ask them to move. However, wealth has its privileges and, although the police were very polite and courteous - what they were doing was not right. In fairness to the police, the officers were following orders that they should never have been given.
When I was asked to pick up my anchor, on Memorial Day weekend, I decided to take a stand against it and contacted the Mayor of Miami Beach. To make a long story (which is available online) short, boaters will no longer be asked to move by the police simply for anchoring, which is their legal right.
In celebration of our right to go about our legal business without harassment from authority, I suggested that we hold an ‘Anchor Fest’ on July 4. This will be an opportunity to say to those who believe that their wealth and status entitles them to ‘more’ rights than others, that they are wrong, that in the United States of America, we are all equal. It is an opportunity to recognize the sacrifices of those who died defending our freedoms.
I ask all of you who are boaters to come out and put your anchor down in Sunset Lake, Miami Beach, even if only for an hour. Join Sail Miami in a unique celebration of being American, and of the rights that so many Americans have fought and died for since the beginning of this great country.

Location - Sunset Lake, Miami Beach
25.48.12N 80.44.44W
Closest street address: 2344 North Bay Road Miami Beach FL

Time - 12 noon until 6 pm

For information: contact ccurtistucker@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Wally Moran

I would ask that all those attending the anchor fest be courteous and respectful to those who own property along Sunset Lake. Please refrain from loud music and obnoxious behavior while you’re anchored. Make certain that your boat is clean and tidy and that you have the required safety gear on board. Keep in mind, while the police cannot ask you to move, they do have the right to inspect your vessel, or to intervene if your behavior is inappropriate. This is exactly what we don’t want happening.
In other words, follow the laws scrupulously. We are not there to antagonize the homeowners, but to celebrate - respectfully - our right to be there at all.
We want to demonstrate to the homeowners of Sunset Lake that they have nothing to fear from boaters at anchor and that we can coexist in harmony.
If there are any questions, contact the Sail Miami boat crew, who will be pleased to answer any questions you might have.
Old 01-07-2011, 20:04   #253
cruiser

note to Auspicious - I'll stop by for that drink, and I've heard what Annapolis is up to. The Harbourmaster has NOT responded to my recent letter. That's going to change real fast.
That being said, there are some things happening behind the scenes that may have a bearing on this sort of thing. I'm aware of some very important people in the marine industry who are quite concerned about these developments - not just in Annapolis, but all down the east coast.
There'll be a further post on these subject from me sometime in the near future - we all, as boaters, need to deal with not just this, but some other issues that are at hand if we wish to continue enjoying the freedom that this lifestyle provides us.
Old 01-07-2011, 20:06   #254
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Nice work Canuck!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 01-07-2011, 20:21   #255
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
I am currently well north of Miami Beach on my way back to the Great Lakes, and don't have a boat available to me there to participate even if I were able to get there.
On June 1st, you first brought up the idea of "Anchor Fest" at the Sunset Lake area. You apparently had just anchored there over Memorial Day weekend where you were visited by police. I assumed you were staying in the area. Obviously you have since been heading north to get back to the Great Lakes.

I just have one question. And after providing publicity of the event in an ActiveCaptain newsletter to probably 50,000 boaters, I really think I deserve an answer to this one, direct, yes-or-no question:

On June 1st when you put out the idea of Anchor Fest, did you know that there was little chance that you would be at Sunset Lake let alone the state of Florida on July 4th?
Closed Thread

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations