Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 01:25   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Out of hundreds of inverters, which one is best value for the money?

Hi,

I'm looking at a guess to purchase a 2000 watt inverter? On reading all the material online I have no idea on inverter bands and efficiency price point seems to also confuse. Some ads state 2000-watt start-up 4000 Watts/ 12/240 volt?

Possibly someone out there can aid me, I’m at a loss what is a reliable mid-priced Inverter brand I should install? I’m located in NSW Australia.
This is what I would like to achieve.

Background:

I have just installed 720 watts of solar panels running through a Victron MPPT 150/70 solar controller into 4 AGM 215 AH batteries = 860 Ah. boat system is all 12 volt. Great result by the way!

I want to change my old Taylor Kero stove oven combo, for an induction cook top with one or possibly two burner cook to and convection oven.

Size Problem my, stove width to fit is will only allow 470 cm or18.5” wide cook top, so I may have to settle for one burner if I can’t find a narrow double cook top most are 550 cm or 21.5 " wide. the plan plain is the cook top will sit on top of a 17 to 20 litre convention oven as a combo unit, as there seems to be a combined unit on the market.

Only this setup will run of an Inverter?

Note: I would not turn on both cook top and oven at the same time.

I like the Victron Phoenix but it is pricey. For my needs, if possible I would like a good quality inverter at say half the price of a Victron.

I look forward to anyone who has hand on experiences with inverter and induction and convection oven brands. Thank you for reading about my next boat project.

Happy Navigational experiences! Skoiern IV
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 03:12   #2

Boat: Herreshoff 36
Re: Out of hundreds of inverters, which one is best value for the money?

We'll, I bought a cheap Giandel off eBay at the beginning of the year, it lasted about six months then stopped working. I sent it back to the seller and they are replacing it for me, but I have not much hope it will last long. It was 1000w continuous 2000w surge. My local Jaycar will have a good looking one, might try it out. 12V pure sin wave only for me.
Old 26-10-2020, 17:40   #3

Thanks ahun,

Good to share your experience as I was thinking of a Giandel on eBay but users claim they don't produce the power they claim in there ads.

Many thanks, Kry
Old 26-10-2020, 19:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
...I like the Victron Phoenix but it is pricey. For my needs, if possible I would like a good quality inverter at say half the price of a Victron...
Not sure of the postage from US to Aus, but have you seen this used Victron for sale? It's a Victron at almost half price.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 19:46   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Thanks ahun,

Good to share your experience as I was thinking of a Giandel on eBay but users claim they don't produce the power they claim in there ads.

Many thanks, Kry

I’m a bit worried about AHun’s experience. I have a 2000 watt Giandel, but it is only 3 or 4 months old.

It does produce 2000 watts ok, but the battery connect wires that ship with it are crap and I wonder if they are limiting output for some people. I made my own.

My Jaycar 2000 watt was fine until I did something extremely stupid with it and blew it up. (Don’t ask, but trust me, nothing would have survived what I did.). I would have bought another Jaycar but the current 2kW model does not have the remote control that I really wanted.
Old 26-10-2020, 20:02   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Hi,

I'm looking at a guess to purchase a 2000 watt inverter? On reading all the material online I have no idea on inverter bands and efficiency price point seems to also confuse. Some ads state 2000-watt start-up 4000 Watts/ 12/240 volt?

Possibly someone out there can aid me, I’m at a loss what is a reliable mid-priced Inverter brand I should install? I’m located in NSW Australia.

Background:

I have just installed 720 watts of solar panels running through a Victron MPPT 150/70 solar controller into 4 AGM 215 AH batteries = 860 Ah. boat system is all 12 volt. Great result by the way!

I want to change my old Taylor Kero stove oven combo, for an induction cook top with one or possibly two burner cook to and convection oven.

Size Problem my, stove width to fit is will only allow 470 cm or18.5” wide cook top, so I may have to settle for one burner if I can’t find a narrow double cook top most are 550 cm or 21.5 " wide. the plan plain is the cook top will sit on top of a 17 to 20 litre convention oven as a combo unit, as there seems to be a combined unit on the market.

I like the Victron Phoenix but it is pricey. For my needs, if possible I would like a good quality inverter at say half the price of a Victron.

I look forward to anyone who has hand on experiences with inverter and induction and convection oven brands. Thank you for reading about my next boat project.

I can't say how they will work for the induction stove tops but I have been using Zantrex Freedom and Magnum MMS inverter chargers for 34 years and I can say they are both excellent. I only changed from my Freedom 10 (which finally failed after 23 years) when there were none in stock at my usual marine store sources at Christmas time 2010. So I bought a Magnum MMS Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger and it has been bullet proof.

I have been loyal to my Seattle based manufacturers for 34 years and they are really good.
Old 26-10-2020, 20:27   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

Kryg we live of grid here in Gympie and have been running a Latronics 12 volt 2000 watt inverter for 10 years non-stop and it has performed faultlessly. When we originally purchased it I knew nothing about inverters (still don't) so I just went on weight. Reasoning that the heavier the inverter the more stuff must be in there? Anyway that logic worked and 10 years later I would highly recommend Latronics inverters.
Cheers
https://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/latro...er-p-2851.html
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 21:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Kryg we live of grid here in Gympie and have been running a Latronics 12 volt 2000 watt inverter for 10 years non-stop and it has performed faultlessly. When we originally purchased it I knew nothing about inverters (still don't) so I just went on weight. Reasoning that the heavier the inverter the more stuff must be in there? Anyway that logic worked and 10 years later I would highly recommend Latronics inverters.
Cheers
https://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/latro...er-p-2851.html

I was able to find Latronics inverter, it is a brand I never heard of. They cost 3 x of a Victron inverter now days? I agree with the weight assessment for selecton. THX
Old 27-10-2020, 08:34   #9

Boat: Freedom 32'

That's it? I'm following this, as I need one also. So one and one I never heard of. I hope we get more answers.
Old 27-10-2020, 08:43   #10

Attainable Adventure Cruising, a website with an amazing wealth of in depth information has just published the first of series on converting to induction. I suggest you take a look before you get too deep into the project.
rha9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:48   #11

Boat: Power & Sail 27'to 88'

Quote:
Hi,

Background:

Well, there is a bit of information missing her, how many amps or watts does the inductive range operate?

Note of that AGM battery amperage, is form of lead acid battery, which AGM's belong to have a 50% rating. You really have more like 360amps of power to use.

If you draw down the amperage below 50% you begin to do irreparable damage to the batteries, which limit the life cycles of an AGM/Lead Acid Battery.

Your solar panels on a good day should provide you with 60 amps of regenerating power, which should be able to operate your cook top.

Something to consider, as you have a diesel boat, consider putting in a diesel cook top, which can provide you a cooking source, along with a heater during those cold evenings. Wallace makes one.

Diesel heaters, generally, have a 10/15 amp draw at start up, and reduce their amp consumption after the burner is lit to less than 1 amp per hour.

Best.

Diesel heat does not create cabin related moisture like propane.
ShipAssist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:53   #12

Boat: Power & Sail 27'to 88'

Quote:
Hi,

Background:

As to the Inverter, 2000 watts / 120 v will give you 16 amps of consumption, which will definitely operate a lap top, charge phones, lights, but will most likely not operate a coffee pot. Ya might want to think about a larger unit, 3,000 watts plus.

Buy one with a dc battery charger built in, that way if your plugged in shore side, you can recharge the batteries.

If your operating equipment @ 240 v, dived the numbers above by half. And by the way the inverter should match that as well.
ShipAssist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:59   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

You also need to look into high/low frequency. Very different animals which suit different situations. For high power application L/F also has the option of split phase for North American users.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 09:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I can't say how they will work for the induction stove tops but I have been using Zantrex Freedom and Magnum MMS inverter chargers for 34 years and I can say they are both excellent. I only changed from my Freedom 10 (which finally failed after 23 years) when there were none in stock at my usual marine store sources at Christmas time 2010. So I bought a Magnum MMS Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger and it has been bullet proof.

I have been loyal to my Seattle based manufacturers for 34 years and they are really good.
All Xantrex are made in Chine-not Seattle. I have has 2 Xantrex 2000 Inverters fail . Freedom 25 is a class machine.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 10:25   #15

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

We have operated a Heart 1500 watt inverter for 25 years and still going strong both for inversion and charging. With our VHF radio and two out of now eight solar panels the only original electrical/electronic equipment on board.

Jim sv Gaia. Ps the only thing it refuses to do is operate a multi-tool. Might have something to do with the shape of the sine wave. It operates all our other tools and as we are seldom on the grid even when docked we used it a lot.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, money