Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2010, 09:11   #1

Recommended Windlass for a 41' Morgan Out Island

We have a Morgan Out Island 41 which weighs in at about 29,000 # empty, add a 1,000 # when we go cruising. We use a 45# CQR with approximately 25' of chain and 250' of 1" rode. We use it normally for Chesapeake Bay sailing but plan on cruising the Bahamas in a couple of years. After that, maybe to the Caribbean. Any thoughts on what would be an appropriate electrical windlass for this boat. Thanks for your thoughts. George - Papagayo.
gchabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 09:35   #2
Eternal Member

George,

You can spend a little, or spend a lot on a proper windlass for the OI41. While the Ideal and Lighthouse and such are the top-of-the-pack windlasses in terms of quality and endurance, they cost a bundle. Of course, you get what you pay for in this regard.

However, I've found that mid-grade windlasses such as the Lewmar line work pretty well. My Lewmar Concept 2 windlass is now 13 years old, with 6 of those years spent in the Caribbean. It still looks and works like new. The trick is to install it well, keep it clean, make sure it's adequately fed in terms of electric power and, most of all, used properly. That means that you use it ONLY to raise and lower the anchor, not to break the anchor out or pull the boat up to the anchor in a heavy wind.

In terms of current offerings, the Lewmar V3GD has a chain gypsy and a rope drum, and would be powerful enough for your boat. They also have horizontal models if you'd prefer those, but I believe the belowdecks motor makes good sense. The cost is about $1800 I believe.

JMHO,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 09:56   #3

We have a manual that works great. Vertical bar that we insert in at the top and rock back and forth. Enough of a workout that you get some exercise but hardly difficult. You can find ABI and RC Plath models for around $400.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 10:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I've been happy with my Lofrans Tigre. Various size gypsies are available, it has a rope drum and manual pawl. My boat is somewhat heavier and I use all chain.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 10:29   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I like Hummingway's choice as posted above if I were to select an electronic windlass, but I'm very pleased with my horizontal manual Simpson Lawrence. We're cruising Maine to the Bahamas regularly with all chain and I find the simplicity and easy action of my manual windlass a comfort. I'm far from a Ludite, but I do shy away from too much dependance on always having 12V DC. While cruising, I consider my windlass not only as my tool for anchoring, but my gym membership as well. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 10:34   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I would second the recommendation for the Lofrans Tigress. We put a lot of miles on that windlass and it never let us down and is a well built and well engineered piece of equipment. And the cost is not that great.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 10:37   #7

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchabs View Post
We have a Morgan Out Island 41 which weighs in at about 29,000 # empty, add a 1,000 # when we go cruising. We use a 45# CQR with approximately 25' of chain and 250' of 1" rode. We use it normally for Chesapeake Bay sailing but plan on cruising the Bahamas in a couple of years. After that, maybe to the Caribbean. Any thoughts on what would be an appropriate electrical windlass for this boat. Thanks for your thoughts. George - Papagayo.
I will be going this route...The Gypsy and drum version.

Lewmar

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 13:06   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Stay away from Anchorlift. They're slow and weak for their classification.
Old 30-07-2010, 13:11   #9
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Love our Ideal- one rebuild in 46 years! (and even then it still was working!)

http://www.idealwindlass.com/
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 15:19   #10

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
I'm well pleased with my Maxwell RC-10 with capstan......
Rope/Chain Series
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 16:18   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Choosing a windlass based on the size of your vessel may not be the most accurate way to go about it, imo. While the size and displacement can eliminate some models, there are other considerations I think are more important. Since most folks tend to upsize their anchor and many also upsize their chain as well, vessel size and displacement are not as important.

It should be noted that the purpose of a windlass is not to pull the boat to the anchor or pull the anchor out of the bottom. The purpose of the windlass is to retrieve the free anchor and rode.

In general, you want a windlass that will raise the total weight of chain, rode, and anchor for a given depth. You need to decide if you want horizontal or vertical capstain, and the anchoring data. A vertical windlass will generally route the rode through 180 degrees where the horizontal will rotate the rode through 90 degrees. The amount of deck space as well as space below deck will also govern which model you choose.

Anchor wt. + weight of all chain + weight of rode = ground tackle weight. If you're going to be anchoring in shallow water then the weight will be considerably less than anchoring in 100'+ of water.

Take the ground tackle weight and multiply it by 3 to compensate for windage, tidal currents, and a safety margin for other unknowns.

There are those who think that the windlass has to be big enough to hold the boat, but that is not always a valid consideration. Many boaters will use the bow cleats to secure the line or snubber. If you put two anchors down, then only one can reside on the windlass and most folks will again use the bow cleats to hold the vessel in position.

I've used Lewmar and Maxwell windlasses and have had no problems. One was vertical and the other horizontal. I would suggest a vertical windlass with the ability to raise and lower the rode. I'd make sure it had the proper capstain that matched your chain type and also allowed nylon rode to be retrieved.

If you're going to cruise the Bahamas and Caribbean, I would add a lot more chain to your gear. Coral heads, sunken obstacles, and better holding will be achieved with a chain length of at least 1.5x the LOA of your vessel, assuming you can get the chain and rode into the locker. With more chain you can get away with less scope and in tight anchorages that can make a considerable difference.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31   #12

Thanks to all for your input. I need to research all the windlasses identified, check our bank account, consider my chronic back issues, and then make a decision. I appreciate the input. George - Papagayo
gchabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, morgan out island