Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 17:44   #1

Boat: In Research Mode-Nothing Yet
Centerboard Columbia 33

I’m restoring a Columbia 33 that has an unusual rig to raise and lower the centerboard. There is a pipe coming up from the subfloor and secured to the top deck ceiling where the cable exits to crank assembly about a ft away. I would like to dismantle all this and relocate the crank close to the subfloor, maybe below the port settee. I need to remove the flooring cover (see pic) but not sure what I’m doing. Anyone familiar with this set up that can offer some advice?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	184143
Sailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 18:02   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Centerboard Columbia 33

You have a rare boat! Though I have a Columbia of the same vintage, I can't offer any advice specific to this boat based on experience, but can you post some more photos? We might be able to figure it out. Also there is a pretty active Columbia Owners Yahoo group and someone there may have some insights or experience too.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ingyachts/info
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 18:24   #3

There may be something here to help direct you to some help:
Columbia Yacht Owners Association
although that site has gone quiet for the last 6 years or so.
If you look at "Owners Registry" for C-33 you may get lucky and be able to get a hold of a current owner there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 19-01-2019, 19:02   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Just make sure where you put the crank is well above the waterline. We have a swing keel and winch with cable. This is at least 2 foot above the waterline so no water gets past the cable. I some times wish the set up was out on the deck as the cable gets a bit stinky when we have it down all week then winch it up.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You have a rare boat! Though I have a Columbia of the same vintage, I can't offer any advice specific to this boat based on experience, but can you post some more photos? We might be able to figure it out. Also there is a pretty active Columbia Owners Yahoo group and someone there may have some insights or experience too.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ingyachts/info

Thank you, Don, for your suggestions. I’ll contact the Columbia Owners group ASAP. In the mean time, can you tell me where your VIN number is located on your model? I’m unable to locate where mine is, above or below deck. It’s time to wrestle down a title and I’m coming across obstacles as this was a salvage vessel some time ago and later abandoned.
Old 21-01-2019, 13:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Just make sure where you put the crank is well above the waterline. We have a swing keel and winch with cable. This is at least 2 foot above the waterline so no water gets past the cable. I some times wish the set up was out on the deck as the cable gets a bit stinky when we have it down all week then winch it up.

Cheers

Thanks for the info! I believe the older Tartans kept the crank on the port settee for 29-36’ models and I believe I saw a new model a year or so ago with it on deck. Memory fails me on model dates, however.
Old 21-01-2019, 19:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
Thank you, Don, for your suggestions. I’ll contact the Columbia Owners group ASAP. In the mean time, can you tell me where your VIN number is located on your model? I’m unable to locate where mine is, above or below deck. It’s time to wrestle down a title and I’m coming across obstacles as this was a salvage vessel some time ago and later abandoned.
No VIN number on my boat and I'd bet not on yours either. My hull number is stamped on the chromed bronze plate on the cockpit floor around the rudder stock. As far as I know, that's it for ID numbers. I wonder if your boat is listed in the registry on the Columbia Owners site? I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Hope it helps. How about some photos?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-01-2019, 19:18   #8

I found this shot of the cockpit of a 33. You can see the plate there on the cockpit floor around the rudder stock. The hull number is stamped there. You might need to clean it up a bit to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-01-21 at 7.14.07 PM.png
Views:	154
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	184254  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-01-2019, 21:23   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As others have said, the center board pendant exits on deck so as to be well above the water line. You could cut off the pendant tube locate the winch lower but would have to be at least 6" and probably better a foot above the water line so water doesn't splash in rough/wake conditions. You'll have to a convenient perch for the winch which may not be easy to do and get a fairlead of the pendant from the tube to the winch and be out of the way below. FWIW, my Pearson 35 winch sits on top of the galley counter top and the pendant tube tube stops about a foot above the waterline. AFAIK doesn't pump water out in rough conditions.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 05:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I found this shot of the cockpit of a 33. You can see the plate there on the cockpit floor around the rudder stock. The hull number is stamped there. You might need to clean it up a bit to see it.

Thanks, Don! That’s a nice shot of a beautiful looking cockpit. I’m attaching a few shots of my project boat. Definitely not beautiful, yet! Most of the hardware is bronze and replacements online seem available, either new or used if I need them. The boat is actually an Arco 33 made in 1959 in Miami. The company made 15 and mine is hull #12. That much I can find.

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	184276

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	184277
I pulled the engine out last week. It sat in 8” of water for a time and needs a new starter, alternator, engine mounts, engine cradle (wood), and some tlc because it still cranks but will take $1-2K + to get it operational.
Old 22-01-2019, 05:53   #11

Quote:
Thanks, Don! That’s a nice shot of a beautiful looking cockpit. I’m attaching a few shots of my project boat. Definitely not beautiful, yet! Most of the hardware is bronze and replacements online seem available, either new or used if I need them. The boat is actually an Arco 33 made in 1959 in Miami. The company made 15 and mine is hull #12. That much I can find.
Attachment 184276
Attachment 184277
I pulled the engine out last week. It sat in 8” of water for a time and needs a new starter, alternator, engine mounts, engine cradle (wood), and some tlc because it still cranks but will take $1-2K + to get it operational.

The boat needs everything from new rigging to a galley. Most equipment is either missing or shot. I’m not delusional in thinking the restoration will be well over $10k. But I’m good at this sort of thing and I can be diligent. And I love bringing back beauty.
Old 22-01-2019, 05:57   #12

Quote:
The boat needs everything from new rigging to a galley. Most equipment is either missing or shot. I’m not delusional in thinking the restoration will be well over $10k. But I’m good at this sort of thing and I can be diligent. And I love bringing back beauty.

Arco sold the mould to Columbia in 1962 and they made a few boats from it which is helping me narrow down need parts, specs, and advice, so I call it a Columbia 33. I’m trying to get a title for it and that is proving to be a challenge.
Old 22-01-2019, 06:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
As others have said, the center board pendant exits on deck so as to be well above the water line. You could cut off the pendant tube locate the winch lower but would have to be at least 6" and probably better a foot above the water line so water doesn't splash in rough/wake conditions. You'll have to a convenient perch for the winch which may not be easy to do and get a fairlead of the pendant from the tube to the winch and be out of the way below. FWIW, my Pearson 35 winch sits on top of the galley counter top and the pendant tube tube stops about a foot above the waterline. AFAIK doesn't pump water out in rough conditions.

Hi Roverhi,
By pendant do you mean crank or winch? Since it’s located on the ceiling of the coach roof then maybe by moving it up top would be best. Not that tube is right in the way in the salon.

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	184284
Old 22-01-2019, 13:10   #14

Quote:
Attachment 184276
Attachment 184277
Wow even more of a rare classic! And as miracle max said, “I’ve seen woyse.” Good luck on it and keep in touch with us old Columbia folks, we may some stuff or tips or leads of use to you!
Old 22-01-2019, 18:42   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Hi Roverhi,
By pendant do you mean crank or winch? Since it’s located on the ceiling of the coach roof then maybe by moving it up top would be best. Not that tube is right in the way in the salon.
Attachment 184284
Pendant is the cable that raises and lowers the board. Didn't read your original post carefully so didn't pick up that the winch was inside the cabin not on the outside of the cabin top. If you do mount the winch lower down just be careful there is enough tubing above waterline so you don't accidentally make the sailing submarine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard, columbia