Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 11:32   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Living With an Oversized Anchor

Some may remember i bought a Rocna 44kg (88 lb) anchor for my 38 ft IP.
I bought it with the idea of having an oversized anchor for the eventual bad storm, but got to thinking, why not use it as the primary anchor as well.
I've anchored with it for eight or ten weekends now, all in sand and sand / mud in the Fl Panhandle.
I have yet to see a downside. Some had the concern that it would not set properly, but 15 sec or so at 2000 RPM in reverse buries it very well. of course it has never drug, I rode out the Hurricane this year that wasn't for the Panhandle but other than that night have only seen gusts to 25 kts or so.
It is more difficult to break it out, for the Hurricane I set it as much as I possibly could even pulling in a couple of directions, that one time it took the engine to break it out, my VWC 1500 couldn't, but normal anchoring the Windlass will break it out, sometimes I let it pull tight so it pulls the bow down a little and just wait, if there is any wave action, the wait is short.
Its not all that much more weight on the bow, I have not noticed it and the boat still has no tendency to Hobby Horse.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:22   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Living With an Oversized Anchor

It sounds like you're happy with it? Which is good. Would you buy one this size for her again after having lived with it for a while now? And is it possible to get this one to drag in the same manner as your previous anchor?

Thanks! And thanks for reporting to us on this. Not many who post their queries do so.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:37   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I think the biggest issue with an oversized anchor is your ability to lift it either with a windlass or by hand. As long as you can get it to set, then really who cares if its a bit oversized! YOu'll sleep better on the hook that way. Personally I still love the Bruce anchor ( genuine only. the geometry is different then most of the copies. personally I'd love to find a 50kg model for my OI 41 but That may be too large and I'll have to hunt down a 30kg model!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:50   #4

Boat: IP 40

Our experience has been the same. We went one size up on our primary which is also a Rocna and are using the 33kg (73lb) model. So not quit as oversized as yours but still a very large anchor for our boat. Large enough that multiple folks in the marina have stopped to point, so I'm taking that as a positive.

We spent last weekend out and about in Galveston bay (very muddy) and found that each morning we had to use the boat to break the anchor free but it wasn't really all that difficult. Our windlass (Lofrans Tigres) handles the weight just fine and we haven't noticed any negatives. Once we're away from the Galveston bay muck, I expect the windlass will be able to break it out of most bottom types.

For me, the piece of mind of having an oversized primary anchor is just worth it. YMMV but we're happy we made the decision.
Old 08-11-2016, 13:16   #5

With so many boats having powered windlasses I've always wondered why someone would have a "primary" anchor and bigger anchor "reserved" for storms.

If bad weather crops up overnight they're faced with having to switch anchors in bad weather, at night.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 13:43   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am happy with it, and no my boat cannot budge it, I tried multiple times to bury it as deep as I could before the Hurricane. As that was in a Bayou it was mostly mud and it did bury, deep. How deep I don't know but it took a couple of times running over the anchor using engine power to pry it out. That time I did have a line attached to the back of the fluke just in case, but I did not have to resort to that.
I will continue to use it as the primary anchor only going to the 25 kg Rocna that sits beside it if I lose it I guess.
Interestingly no one has commented on it, which is fine.
Old 08-11-2016, 13:49   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
With so many boats having powered windlasses I've always wondered why someone would have a "primary" anchor and bigger anchor "reserved" for storms.

If bad weather crops up overnight they're faced with having to switch anchors in bad weather, at night.
Exactly. And then there are the practicalities; I can row out a Fortress, but I can't see myself lugging 80 pounds of anchor into a dinghy and then over the side in rough conditions. Might literally be impossible.
Old 08-11-2016, 13:52   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I am happy with it, and no my boat cannot budge it, I tried multiple times to bury it as deep as I could before the Hurricane. As that was in a Bayou it was mostly mud and it did bury, deep. How deep I don't know but it took a couple of times running over the anchor using engine power to pry it out. That time I did have a line attached to the back of the fluke just in case, but I did not have to resort to that.
I will continue to use it as the primary anchor only going to the 25 kg Rocna that sits beside it if I lose it I guess.
Interestingly no one has commented on it, which is fine.
Glad it suits you, well you & the boat! Also, as I recall from the pics, it doesn't look huge on your boat. Perhaps due to how your bowsprit is built, along with the stoutness of the vessel.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 13:54   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Your 44kg anchor is not 88 pounds, but about 100 pounds!

I have a slightly different experience. My boat was delivered with a 25kg Delta, ridiculously undersized. I immediately replaced it with a 55kg (121 pounds) Rocna based on similar thinking to yours.

It was a little too big for my particular windlass bow roller etc. setup. The Rocna always came up upside down, so had to be rotated with a boat hook (and I needed a swivel). It challenged the windlass clutch, when coming up through the bow roller. It would swing and hit the stemhead sometimes. It was just a bit much.

So when I replaced it with a Spade, I went to the 45kg model, which is not hugely oversized according to present thinking. It was just enough smaller (and maybe more importantly, better balanced) to work well with my gear. Plenty of holding power in all circumstances.

Obviously, YMMV!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 13:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

44'. 40,000lb center cockpit steel cutter.

125 pound Mantus. Lofrans Falcon windlass.

Never look back!

I have a 66 pound Spade that I have set and retrieved with a winch.

I have a 40ish pound Danforth asa ledge I can row out from a dingy in not too bad conditions. The Danforth will set hard but not great for reversing. Good kedge.

BUT I could only use that big Mantus because when I had to replace my bow sprit I redesigned the anchor roller and sprit to accommodate the Mantus.....most importantly that huge roll bar.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:03   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your right, 44 X 2.2 is 96.8.
It does usually come up, upside down. But I read of a trick here, once it gets to where it is just under the surface I drag it in reverse slowly, that always turns it around the right way and cleans it off. I am so sure it's oriented correctly I raise it with the switch at the helm and not on the bow with the remote. As it comes over the roller it does tax the windlass a little, but it goes right on over. It is probably about the limit of what my windlass is comfortable stowing.
I thought it felt heavy for 88 lbs, but I took that as me getting old and weaker.
Old 08-11-2016, 14:42   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
. . . I thought it felt heavy for 88 lbs, but I took that as me getting old and weaker.
So you feel less old and weak. You owe me a beer!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 16:45   #13

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The bigger the better. Even if your windlass can't break it loose , just pull straight over it and cleat it off. It will break free eventually.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:36   #14

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Right , just pull straight up over it amd bring the chain up vertical until it stops. Shift into forward amd it will pop right out in a very satisfying way!
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:07   #15

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

WRT the mentions of difficulty at the bow roller, and also some redesign issues due to size and/or roll bar:

Our solution for the roll bar interference also resolved the massive over-center effort to get the shank over the roller:

Pictures: Flying Pig Refit 2011-2012/Anchor System Refit/6 - Rocna Addition and Modifications
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, size