Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 14:14   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
What is like Navionics but not Navionics

I've been using Navionics and like it. I've never used anything else and don't like learning new software.

I don't expect to ever go beyond Australia and the South Pacific and I'd much prefer not to run into uncharted rocks or reefs.

What would you recommend for B&G hardware.
Old 04-11-2017, 14:41   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: What is like Navionics but not Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I've been using Navionics and like it. I've never used anything else and don't like learning new software.

I don't expect to ever go beyond Australia and the South Pacific and I'd much prefer not to run into uncharted rocks or reefs.

What would you recommend for B&G hardware.
Unfortunately there is NOTHING since B&G had a falling out with their development firm and left thier customers screwed.

I now plan on OpenCPN!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 15:15   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Unfortunately there is NOTHING since B&G had a falling out with their development firm and left thier customers screwed.

I now plan on OpenCPN!
I see a lot of people using OpenCPN and have always thought it was for computer savvy people who like tinkering with computer programming.

I'm definitely in the plug n play category.
Old 04-11-2017, 17:17   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I see a lot of people using OpenCPN and have always thought it was for computer savvy people who like tinkering with computer programming.

I'm definitely in the plug n play category.
The only hard thing about OpenCPN is finding charts.. Other than that, its very intuitive and easy to use.. However.. It doesn't really "plug" into anything.. I use it standalone to plan a basic route. I'm sure there is a way to export that route to my B&G, but I don't bother.. I just use that basic route and then plan on my plotter.

I really miss the B&G app that used to use the same Charts (you could actually use you chart card in your PC). You could plan your route, then save it to the card and use it on your ZEUS devices..

I guess my advice is don't be afraid of OpenCPN... but know what you are getting into... Compared to the big guys with millions in budgets its about %80 there..

However... The Navionics apps are better (In my Honest Opinion)...

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:42   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We run Navionics on our Raymarine and use OpenCPN as a backup and planning tool. we can hardly tell the difference - Navionics does provide a bit more detail in some ports and some areas -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:25   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

For Australia you get the official charts from the AHS as S-63 chart sets.
So OpenCPN + S-63 plug-in will do the trick.

For New Zealand the official raster charts are free.

S-63 official charts for other destinations you will find at Chartworld for example.
Be aware that even the official charts in the South Pacific are not always spot on.

Many OpenCPN user are adding geo-referenced Google Earth chartlets as an additional information for areas not well charted. And they share them.

A very nice introduction into OpenCPN you can find here:
Exploring OpenCPN (v3.0)

And the complete User manual (which comes with the program as well) here:
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pn_user_manual

If there are problems, issues or doubts you will get a quick and competent answer at the OpenCPN forum here at CF.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:37   #7

Boat: Able 50

There is also C Map.

Home - C-MAP
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
There is also C Map.

Home - C-MAP
and on a phone or tablet their software Plan2Nav.

I have used this as an alternative view (always good to get 2 opinions) to Navionics on a plotter for a few years.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:56   #9

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36 ft

I use Navionics on my C120 and also on my iPad but I am also using iNavx now because I can get my AIS on my ipad with iNavx with wifi with vYachtWifi it also uses Navionics charts.
Mike
Mike Paget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35   #10

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
There is also C Map.

Home - C-MAP
===

Yes, we use C-Map chart chips with our Furuno multi-function unit and have been very happy with them. Also use OpenCPN for backup and route planning.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:51   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

uhh what a discussion. OpenCPN has nothing to do with the charts u use. And for proper navigation u have to use the official charts. I use CM93 wirh official paper chart backup
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:56   #12

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
uhh what a discussion. OpenCPN has nothing to do with the charts u use. And for proper navigation u have to use the official charts. I use CM93 wirh official paper chart backup
===

Paper charts are rather unsatisfactory for long range global cruising unless you have an unlimited budget and huge stowage space.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:32   #13

Boat: Albin 25

I have paper charts for my home area, but will rely on guidebooks when I travel. For navigating, I use my ipad, with Android phone for backup. I have Open CPN on the laptop Navionics, iNavx, Aqua Maps US, Garmin Blue Chart on the iPad, MX Mariner, Marine Navigator, and Plan2Nav on the phone. Also, my backup handheld VFR radio has gps and navigation. So unless the satellites are shot down, I feel sufficiently redundant. And not just as a person. Next purchase is a DeLorme satellite communicator.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:27   #14

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

No argument about the benefits of enhanced electronic charts, etc. BUT given the limited (though large) area under discussion. How about paper charts, Google Earth (Pro?), and Open CPN?
Old 05-11-2017, 14:10   #15

For what it is worth.
Open CPN is really so easy to use. The CM93 chart files are essentially free and like any other electronic chart files will have some shortcomings, but there are others (unfortunately not Navionics) as others have mentioned The real attraction of Open CPN with CM93 charts (or others) is the staggering low cost. Plus you can run it on just about any computer platform.
However, there is a bit of software, GE2KAP which allows you to overlay Open CPN charts onto GE pictures or VV. The downside is that you need internet access for GE to do this but the trick is to do it before heading off to that remote reef and then file the area - everything still works. The software seems to have problems with Mac formats as well.
Besides showing up stuff not any any navigation charts, the GE2KAP software also allows positional correction to any erroneous stuff on CM93 charts. This can be really handy if you suspect inaccuracies or lack of detail on your electronic charts.
You need to use older versions of GE and (I suspect) Open CPN.
It does take a bit of effort to get it all going but once done its a doozy. The author of the software has a near idiot proof instruction program.
Another issue is that dedicated marine instrument screens are generally designed to be visible in bright sunlight whereas many computer screens generally are not. Best of.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics