Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 15:47   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: What is like Navionics but not Navionics

There is also Maxsea which can be used on either plotter or computer. With this format you must select the data product carefully so that it will be compatible with whatever hardware you select.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 00:59   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

Paper charts are rather unsatisfactory for long range global cruising unless you have an unlimited budget and huge stowage space.

Agree - we got paper charts for the western carb and had a lot of paper - we found many were so old as to be useless and a lot of paper -- since then we have sailed both the western carib, eastern carib, the Azores, and most of the Med and all the Black Sea - if we had used paper can you imagine the paper we would have on board? we do have a couple of paper charts but for detail we use our electronic charts
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:11   #18

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Unfortunately there is NOTHING since B&G had a falling out with their development firm and left thier customers screwed.

I now plan on OpenCPN!

I don't get that. I have Simrad NSS-12 chartplotter and it uses Navionics charts, and I think Simrad is B&G hardware under a different label, right? Navionics was just bought by Garmin but the press release says they continue to support existing Navionics products. I would be interested in hearing if anyone using Simrad/B&G plotters has recently used a new or updated Navionics chart, or has authoritative information on whether Navionics software will continue to be compatible with Simrad products.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:12   #19

Boat: Able 50

The most accurate chart I ever owned was prepared for the French navy in 1890. The brand new C Map chart for the same place showed me anchored on top of a hill.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:21   #20

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I see a lot of people using OpenCPN and have always thought it was for computer savvy people who like tinkering with computer programming.

I'm definitely in the plug n play category.
Open CPN on windows is pretty much plug and play.
Even on a Rasperry Pi it is plug and play if you use the open plotter bundle.

We used it as primary nav from Melbourne to Bowen this year. I had Navionics on a couple of tablets, and only used it when off the boat. We added a $500 raymarine depth sounder / plotter at the helm for bumping our way north from Southport and for Great Sandy Straits.

Just ask around and get someone local to show you OpenCPN - they may even have some charts you can use for research purposes...

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:05   #21

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Garmin just bought Navionics 2 weeks ago:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...marine-charts/

So, go with Garmin...
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 19:39   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
If you like Navionics you can get most of the features you'd have on a chart plotter by using the app on a mobile device. I've always had Navionics on my tablet and phones and it's awesome! Very convenient.
https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating/
Thanks for that suggestion and I will try it out on my tablet.

Now, tablet may be fine for off-helm use, but to integrate autopilot, charts, AIS and radar at the helm underway, I have to use my big chartplotter. A little tablet or phone banging around and/or getting wet in the cockpit wont do. Since I just recently bought Simrad 12 inch MFD I hope Garmin wont screw me by making Navionics charts incompatible.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 23:45   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Since I just recently bought Simrad 12 inch MFD I hope Garmin wont screw me by making Navionics charts incompatible.
OOhh, that will never happen... will it????

Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 18:07   #24

Let’s all give a cheer for open source software.
Old 27-08-2021, 19:26   #25

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Hi All,
Trusting one source for charts is very risky. I've found many places throughout the world where Navionics displays incorrect data. Nearly every charting source can be found to have errors in some part of the world. That's why OpenCPN is so great because it allows you to switch back and forth between multiple chart sources for the same area. CM93 + BingSat/GoogleSat MBTiles + Navionics MBTiles in OpenCPN provides a good sense of the world and keeps the bottom of the boat off the hard stuff.

Cheers,
Bruce
s/v Migration
The Chart Locker
bbalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 19:42   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paget View Post
I use Navionics on my C120 and also on my iPad but I am also using iNavx now because I can get my AIS on my ipad with iNavx with wifi with vYachtWifi it also uses Navionics charts.
Mike
I've got iNavX on my iPad talking to my Vesper XB-8000 AIS and getting AIS and ship's data through that.

You can purchase charts from multiple vendors for a region on iNavX, though the pricing and licensing on those is tied to the vendor's rules on sharing the charts to other apps.

This week I'll be looking at the new CMAP Vector chart functionality iNavX is rolling out shortly. For now it's an online chart and requires connectivity, but offline downloads are coming very soon.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 19:59   #27

When I was teaching coastal and offshore navigation at a major west coast sailing school I would always have students who questioned the reason they were required to learn the skills of navigating by paper charts and dead reckoning.

My explanation was that ANY boat anywhere in the world is one lightning bolt away from the 19th century. A direct strike will always, and even a nearby strike is likely to, destroy all your navigation video games. If you don't have and know how to use analog back ups, you are literally lost at sea. Not having the skills and tools to navigate when your normal 21st century tools are dead is irresponsible. Full stop.

Of course it is POSSIBLE to sail around the world several times and not get hit by lightning. How about it? "Are you feeling lucky, Punk?"
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics