Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 12:08   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
Boat selection for coastal cruising

I am looking at options for a coastal cruiser suitable for doing jaunts of up to 100 miles up to 30 miles offshore.

For boats of about 40 feet it would seem a semi-displacement twin cruiser is the right choice. These mostly seem to have gas engines for size and cost reasons. They can cruise at around 15 knots, so I could do a 100 mile journey in about 8 hours.

The trawlers at this size seem to be less viable, because if they have no bow thrusters, they can be difficult to maneuver, especially solo. Also, at 7-8 knots, I am looking at 15 hours to get from point A to B, which means overnighting in the open ocean and more exposure to weather (or coming tired into a strange harbor at night, not a good thing).

Once the size of the boat gets up to around 60 feet, full displacement trawlers seem to be more viable because the larger ones can cruise faster, up to around 10 knots, plus they are diesel which is safer. They usually have bow thrusters so maneuvering is a lot easier.

Is this basic assessment correct? From a comfort standpoint will there be a noticeable difference between a semi displacement and full displacement vessel?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 13:36   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Boat selection for coastal cruising

Look at Ranger Tugs, the biggest one at just 31' (I think) might work for you. I believe most Ranger Tugs come with a bow thruster. There are other diesel powered boats that could work.

If Ranger Tugs are too small look at the Beneteau Swift trawler. I know they make a 34' boat and one or two that are bigger yet.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 20:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Look at Ranger Tugs, the biggest one at just 31' (I think) might work for you. I believe most Ranger Tugs come with a bow thruster. There are other diesel powered boats that could work.

If Ranger Tugs are too small look at the Beneteau Swift trawler. I know they make a 34' boat and one or two that are bigger yet.
I notice that the Beneteau claims a cruising speed of 15 knots. Hard to believe such a chubby boat could go so fast.
Old 11-05-2017, 20:15   #4

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Chubby equals good living quarters. You can YouTube these boats and sometimes Boattest.com will have their test and comments.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 21:02   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you are going to stay coastal, go for an express cruiser.

You can motor in the low 20s. Expect 1-1.5 mpg at that speed.
If you get something like a Searay 370 Venture with dual outboards, you will be able to move sideways without a bow thruster. It will cost some in fuel, but engine work will be easier.

10 Top Express Cruisers: Favorites for Family Boating Fun - boats.com

If you want to go offshore give up on the speed and get a trawler type.

Semi-displacement hulls are a serious compromise. They are for folks that have unlimited budgets for fuel. They are a way to go faster than a displacement hull without really planing. You can have a boat that is almost as strongly built as a displacement hull, but you usually sacrifice some space for larger motors and tankage to do it. The hull shape also sacrifices seakeeping but not a lot.

Going to a planing hull means being significantly faster, with better fuel economy but at the cost of poor seakeeping in heavy weather and less strength, the boat needs to be kept light. Best fuel economy is the speed where the boat is just on a plane.

If you are going to stay coastal, why not go with a planing hull?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 00:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The choices are all money dependent. A full displacement hull has to push more water out of the way, needs bigger engines, but has a better ride. Many semi-displacement hulls could plane with enough HP. A 40' boat with gas engines is going to use much more fuel than diesel engines would. Boats with diesels cost more. It's all about the money. You need to start with what you're willing to spend on the boat and how much fuel use you can afford.
I get 1+km per gallon in an 83', 80 ton boat at 10 knots. I think that's good.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 04:43   #7

Main ship 390, 2000, on yacht world, at my yacht club, an excellent buy at $149k can, excellent condition, my first choice but am not in the market.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 05:25   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
I am looking at options for a coastal cruiser suitable for doing jaunts of up to 100 miles up to 30 miles offshore.

For boats of about 40 feet it would seem a semi-displacement twin cruiser is the right choice. These mostly seem to have gas engines for size and cost reasons. They can cruise at around 15 knots, so I could do a 100 mile journey in about 8 hours.

The trawlers at this size seem to be less viable, because if they have no bow thrusters, they can be difficult to maneuver, especially solo. Also, at 7-8 knots, I am looking at 15 hours to get from point A to B, which means overnighting in the open ocean and more exposure to weather (or coming tired into a strange harbor at night, not a good thing).

Once the size of the boat gets up to around 60 feet, full displacement trawlers seem to be more viable because the larger ones can cruise faster, up to around 10 knots, plus they are diesel which is safer. They usually have bow thrusters so maneuvering is a lot easier.

Is this basic assessment correct? From a comfort standpoint will there be a noticeable difference between a semi displacement and full displacement vessel?

No, not particularly correct.

Might depend on what you mean by "cruiser" but there are many twin diesels in the 40' range. Cost is generally higher than the same gas powered boats, but generally fuel choice is a matter of pay up front (diesel) or bleed for a long time (gas).

Adding a bow thruster to almost any boat is easy and affordable (depending on what you think "affordable" is) so "trawlers of this size" need be no more or less maneuverable than any other boat of approx the same size. And besides, there are twin engine semi-displacement "trawlers" (also depends on what you mean by "trawler") that are as easily maneuverable than any "cruiser" of similar size.

Cruising at 15 knots and doing 100 miles in 8 hours... is possible, but unless you're starting in the boonies and cruising back to civilization or something... or vice versa... you'd just be beating yourself up for no particular reason. Shorter days (shorter watches) are more comfortable, less tiring, and essentially safer (avoid the stupid stuff people do as fatigue sets in)... so that kind of speed/range can be a non-factor.

Even if speed/range is a factor... you can often modify your float plan to take best advantage of whatever boat you've got. Slow boat? Make short hops. Or get more crew for watch standing. Faster boat? Longer hops. Weather issues? Stay in port...

30 miles offshore can happen, but generally the only common need to go that far out is for deep water fishing. Otherwise... not much to see out there except maybe whales.

Since many of your questions are theoretical... it might be easier for folks to answer some of these if you postulate some more factoids. What ports to what ports? How many crew on board? What time windows will be available? Will you be able to weather (outwait) the weather (so to speak)? What do you mean by "coastal" (30 NM out isn't particularly "coastal")? What do you mean by "cruiser"? What do you mean by "trawler"? (Name names.) Will you be anchoring out? Or will you limit yourself to marina-hopping?

And so forth...

-Chris
Old 13-05-2017, 06:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
No, not particularly correct.

Since many of your questions are theoretical... it might be easier for folks to answer some of these if you postulate some more factoids. What ports to what ports? How many crew on board? What time windows will be available? Will you be able to weather (outwait) the weather (so to speak)? What do you mean by "coastal" (30 NM out isn't particularly "coastal")? What do you mean by "cruiser"? What do you mean by "trawler"? (Name names.) Will you be anchoring out? Or will you limit yourself to marina-hopping?

And so forth...

-Chris
Well, the typical cruises I might want to do out of the local area might be Boston to Bar Harbor (stopping in the Portland area) and Boston to Long Island (stopping in Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket). In both case direct routes take the boat 20-30 miles offshore. I don't really want to creep along the coast, not only because it takes longer, but the navigation will be more complex.
Old 13-05-2017, 06:46   #10

Boat: Currently in between

Are you still thinking you may need to tow abandoned boats? If so I would certainly consider Diesel as they have a better torque curve than gas and torque is what gives you the lower RPM pulling power you will need.

Diesel is the way to go for a multitude of reasons, at least for me.
Old 13-05-2017, 06:51   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

[QUOTE=jsc7;2390919]
The trawlers at this size seem to be less viable, because if they have no bow thrusters, they can be difficult to maneuver, especially solo. /QUOTE]

This part is incorrect. Boat handling is a skill that must be developed. I as do many others regularly run single engine boats up to 65' single handed, no problem with or without a bow thruster.

You'll get better responses if you specify a budget.
It's all about the bucks
Old 13-05-2017, 07:09   #12

My mooring neighbor went from late 90s Catalina 40' sailboat to early 2000s Carver 41 (diesel). He's very happy with her. The boat is very roomy, very well appointed, inside and outside, great aft platform and spacious aft deck. If I had to choose a comfortable coastal cruiser and had the mid level budget it requires I'd probably put that model in my top 5 or even 3 top choices to ponder.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 08:03   #13

Quote:
Well, the typical cruises I might want to do out of the local area might be Boston to Bar Harbor (stopping in the Portland area) and Boston to Long Island (stopping in Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket). In both case direct routes take the boat 20-30 miles offshore. I don't really want to creep along the coast, not only because it takes longer, but the navigation will be more complex.

That's useful. Sound like good trips.

I didn't look at destination distances very closely, but looks to me like you could run almost all of that between 7-10 NM offshore, probably even closer, at 20-25 kts cruise speeds all the way. Faster, if you pick a faster boat. Didn't look closely, but I didn't notice anything complicated about navigation issues.

Pick any 40' (plus or minus) planing hull boat you like with twin 450 or higher HP diesels... have at it.

My quick plot of Boston to Portland to Bar Harbor was 210 NM; were it me, I wouldn't try running all that in one fell swoop. More like 4 days, at least, at 20-kts cruise... with sightseeing and boat work along the way.

-Chris
Old 13-05-2017, 08:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
That's useful. Sound like good trips.

My quick plot of Boston to Portland to Bar Harbor was 210 NM; were it me, I wouldn't try running all that in one fell swoop. More like 4 days, at least, at 20-kts cruise... with sightseeing and boat work along the way.

-Chris
I see 25 nm to Cape Ann and 65 nm to Portland. That would be day 1. That is a good 20 statute miles off shore. The leg to Bar Harbor is similar. Generally the "sight seeing" I want to do will be in the harbor. I don't want to be creeping along the coast trying to zig zag around ledges. If I am making 15 knots, then it is 100 nm in 7-8 hours per day (8 am to 4pm). With a trawler the time table changes significantly and it turns into more of 4-day or even 5-day thing which is less desirable because I want to be spending more time in Bar Harbor, not dodging tankers coming out of Portsmouth.
Old 13-05-2017, 13:58   #15

Quote:
I see 25 nm to Cape Ann and 65 nm to Portland. That would be day 1. That is a good 20 statute miles off shore. The leg to Bar Harbor is similar. Generally the "sight seeing" I want to do will be in the harbor. I don't want to be creeping along the coast trying to zig zag around ledges. If I am making 15 knots, then it is 100 nm in 7-8 hours per day (8 am to 4pm). With a trawler the time table changes significantly and it turns into more of 4-day or even 5-day thing which is less desirable because I want to be spending more time in Bar Harbor, not dodging tankers coming out of Portsmouth.

I didn't zoom in on the chart, so didn't look closely... but quick glance just suggested you'd have consistent 20-30' depths when 7-10 NM off shore... usually no big deal to run that kind of water at planing speeds.

I'd look more closely, of course, if it were me making the trip.

But I didn't see any particular challenges.

Anyway, I take your point about slower "trawler" speeds... so if you haven't got time for that... back to what I said: any 40' planing boat you like with twin diesels at 450+ hp each. 20+ knot cruise. Zoom zoom.

Some of those might be better suited than others, depending on individual features, but that's all mostly your personal preferences.

In this case, given you're talking about significant distances, often, diesels sound better suited to what you want to do.

-Chris

Tags
boat, cruising