Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 00:28   #1

Boat: 40' custom catamaran
Suggestions for backup to hydraulic steering (twin outboards)

I own a Predator 8.0m plate boat, with twin E-TEC 200 H.O. (about 220hp at the prop) engines. Each is separately fuelled and each has its own starting battery and separated electrical systems (so paired for safety). The instruments run off a third house battery.

It runs an Admiralty series hydraulic steering setup. This system failed 29NM offshore a few years ago, and the ex-owner had to be towed back by Marine Rescue in a 4m swell, and a howling westerly. We live on the east coast of Australia, and I am a volunteer with the same organisation—and do not want to have to call them!

So: assuming the engines haven't failed at the same time, I want some setup that allows the engines to be centred and locked there, so I can use the throttles to steer to get me back if the steering fails. Any suggestions?
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 02:29   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Suggestions for backup to hydraulic steering (twin outboards)

Humm, interesting problem. I had the hydrualic steering to put on my boat once. Not fun, lucky I was just on a small inland lake and was able to limp back to the boat ramp.

I would think a tiller mechanism on one motor might work. Tilt one engine up and use the tiller on the other to semi-steer the boat. The tiller could be a long pipe, somehow needs to be secured to the motor.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, outboard, steering