Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 23:59   #46
cruiser

Re: Composting Head: Plus or Minus on resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Pea View Post

Here's a composting toilet secret for coastal cruisers. You don't really have to stop in a marina to empty the urine container in a marina bathroom every two-three days. Think shower drain.
In other words... "direct discharge."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 00:06   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It’s not my estimate. It’s the data coming from real cruisers here on CF.

You’re likely right; those with yachts over 70 ft probably won’t have composting heads, and probably aren’t hanging out here. Since composters are designed for two to three crew members in mind, this makes perfect sense. So I not sure what your point is.

So far the numbers are confirming that composing heads make up a significant number of CFers. It’s interesting that the number of composters are almost the same as you direct dischargers (no treatment). I guess this means we are equal odd-balls .

Perhaps the biggest surprise from the data so far are the small numbers of Type II heads. Not sure what to make of this.
Mike,

We spent two summers cruising California and now on our sixth, six month summer season here in the Med. We've met hundreds of cruising couples many from CF, and not a single one of them had a composting toilet. Don't fool yourself into believing they're more common than they really are.

I'm sure composters are common on inland waterways etc. where they make perfect sense in places like where you've been cruising, but when you get out into the deep blue sea... nada. Cyberworld cruisers on CF also seem to really like the idea, but in Realworld situations.... nada.
Old 02-05-2017, 00:27   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
We're on the verge of pulling out all tanks, hoses, closing thru-hulls and going with composting heads, and I got to wondering...

If you were shopping for a boat, and it came with composting heads,
(and no blackwater tanks)
would that encourage or discourage you from making an offer?
OP,

From what I've witnessed over the years, it's mostly the male half of couples and single/divorced men who participate here on CF. You'll need to direct your question towards married female boat shoppers to get an accurate answer. The female half of a married couple is ultimately the one who decides on which boat is purchased and as to what toilet SHE plans to use.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:27   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Look at the boat the OP has (Catalina 400).... this isn't an old small cruiser. Odds are, the next owner wil likely treat it as a weekend toy. Majority of the marina crowd will want a traditional marine head. If not, you'd see some manufacture offering a composting toilet as an option.

Matt
Ironically, for weekend use, it's even better. That gives the system even more time to break down. You might need to empty the solids tanks once per year.

To the original question: unfamiliarity would be the only concern. Just like we are only now getting over the idea that catamarans flip in the slightest breeze, it will take time for traditionalists to get over the idea that carrying a few hundred pounds of liquid sewage is less than ideal.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
In other words... "direct discharge."
95% of the concern with direct discharge is related to the solids. They contain contagious microorganisms and in high concentrations, they use up oxygen in small bays potentially cause the waters to go anerobic killing marine life and creating nasty smells. (of course most of the issue is overblown as most contagious microorganisms die quickly when put in the water and it's the rare bay that gets enough discharge from boats to have any meaningful impact on water quality. It's mostly the "icky" factor.)

Urine by it self on the other hand is generally sterile in healthy people and creates no harmful effects on the environment once diluted. It solves the intent of discharge rules even if it doesn't meet the letter of the law.

If it concerns you, you can easily keep the holding tank and add a simple pump from the urine tank. What was a holding tank that might handle 3-4days before reaching full, will likely bump up to 2-3weeks since there is no flush water added. Since there are no solids, clogs are drastically less likely.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:31   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Mike,

We spent two summers cruising California and now on our sixth, six month summer season here in the Med. We've met hundreds of cruising couples many from CF, and not a single one of them had a composting toilet. Don't fool yourself into believing they're more common than they really are.

I'm sure composters are common on inland waterways etc. where they make perfect sense in places like where you've been cruising, but when you get out into the deep blue sea... nada. Cyberworld cruisers on CF also seem to really like the idea, but in Realworld situations.... nada.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ve-184086.html

Quote:
Composting head (Type III): 23.85%
Not my numbers. Not numbers exclusive to California or the Great Lakes. Based on 130 CF members so far who have responded to the poll; members from all over the world.

I think Jim is correct, and I’m going to try another poll to see if we can suss this out, but I think the use of composters will be more predominant in some areas, and less so in others. They also won’t be found on larger craft like yours. But from the numbers it is clear they are far from unusual.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:32   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
We're on the verge of pulling out all tanks, hoses, closing thru-hulls and going with composting heads, and I got to wondering...

If you were shopping for a boat, and it came with composting heads,
(and no blackwater tanks)
would that encourage or discourage you from making an offer?
Man if I were boat shopping and it came down to a head I would know it is time to take up some other activity.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:53   #53

Quote:
I got to thinking about this. I realize, I have no idea what kind of head the vast majority of cruisers have on their boats. It’s just not a conversation that comes up very often in the anchorage, on the beach, or in the marinas. You must be pretty fixated on all this poopy stuff to be able to state so categorically, that of the hundreds of cruising couples you’ve met, “not a single one of them had a composting toilet.” Amazing ...
Old 02-05-2017, 07:51   #54

I am still in the early phases of looking at different boats and types, but I can say with confidence that my wife would not want a composting head. She will need something that is as similar to home as possible.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:18   #55

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Pea View Post
Think shower drain.
I agree with you about many aspects of a composting toilet, but I had to laugh when I read the above comment. I have teased her with that in the past and the prospect horrifies her.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:51   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I prefer to not live with waste whether solids or liquids are separated or not. I also prefer not to dispose of it by hand. I prefer to simply open a valve and let it drain out and be gone without handling it, seeing it or smelling it. I know others enjoy hauling it topside to dump manually and watch if float about. Each too their own.
Can't do that in a lot of places though.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:07   #57

Having very recently experienced a full-on "poopocalypse" when our holding tank overflowed, I am just not a fan anymore of sailing around with 50 gallons of human waste on my boat.

I will be switching out one of my heads to a composting toilet in the next year or so... will see how it goes.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:43   #58

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
OP,

From what I've witnessed over the years, it's mostly the male half of couples and single/divorced men who participate here on CF. You'll need to direct your question towards married female boat shoppers to get an accurate answer. The female half of a married couple is ultimately the one who decides on which boat is purchased and as to what toilet SHE plans to use.
As the female half of a married couple, I'm raising my hand. I love my composting head, and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands before taking it away.

OP, please know that there are women out there who would consider a composting head a positive. While Mr. cthoops and I were removing the existing tank and hoses from our new-to-us boat (an utterly disgusting job), I vowed that I would never again buy another boat with a traditional head system.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:27   #59

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
That would encourage me to buy it, I want a composting head on my boat and it would save me the trouble and expense of installing it myself. BTW, I am shopping for a boat and it's a plus on any boat that I'm looking at.
There's not much "trouble and expense" to installing a composting head. You just take it out of the box, pick the location and screw/bolt it down! all done!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 00:49   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish3 View Post
I am still in the early phases of looking at different boats and types, but I can say with confidence that my wife would not want a composting head. She will need something that is as similar to home as possible.
Have you seen a marine head? Pumps, leavers, procedures, sized as if they think your bottom is the same size as a 6yr old's. Unless you are talking mega yacht, if it's mandatory that it look and act like a household toilet, move on to a new hobby.

Though ironically, getting a more household like experience is one of the benefits when we switched to a natures head. The natures head seat was sized for an adult.

Other than remembering to open the trap door if you are going #2 and then giving it a crank when done, the use procedure is a lot closer to household operation.

Tags
head, posting, sale