Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 01:40   #61
cruiser

Re: Composting Head: Plus or Minus on resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I got to thinking about this. I realize, I have no idea what kind of head the vast majority of cruisers have on their boats. It’s just not a conversation that comes up very often in the anchorage, on the beach, or in the marinas. You must be pretty fixated on all this poopy stuff to be able to state so categorically, that of the hundreds of cruising couples you’ve met, “not a single one of them had a composting toilet.” Amazing ...
Mike,

I think you might be the one who needs to look in the mirror regarding pottie fixation, I'm simply answering the OP's original question regarding resale value on his boat. One simply needs to attend a large boat show where the boating industry is marketing their wares to folks in the market for a new or used boat, a place where the female half of the couple will be most influential.... and count the number of boats being offered with a composting type head.

Out of the hundreds of boats being offered, the OP most likely will not find a single yacht with a composting head installed. That is a fact. Boats are difficult enough to sell without being the "oddball;" he should keep all his plumbing intact if he chooses to make a change, but I couldn't care any less what type of head he chooses to use, or if he prefers to simply direct discharge. I don't think any of it makes any difference to the environment... it comes down to personal choice.

Meanwhile.... who is the CF guy surveying everyone on this forum regarding pooping habbits, locations on where they poop, ways they process their poop, recommending ways to handle their poop, transport their poop, etc.? Like I wrote, maybe it's time to look in the mirror and develop some new interests. And no I don't survey the hundreds of people we've met in anchorages, but when we spend the day on their boat, sometimes it becomes necessary to use the toilet facility. It's not a scientific survey, simply an observation. Not a single cruising couple has had a composter or instructed me to "crank the handle."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:18   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

Whatever Ken — you are a very odd duck indeed. I could respond to your ridiculous post here, but it’s clearly not worth my effort.

I posed the poll, in part, as a way to response to the OPs question here. His question is about the used market, not new boats at boat shows. But the poll is also here to try and get real data on this oft-posed question, as opposed to simply relying on biased personal perceptions (from you, or from me).

To the OP, and everyone else, I simply say take a look at what actual cruisers here on CF say they are using: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ve-184086.html
Old 03-05-2017, 06:29   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Have you seen a marine head? Pumps, leavers, procedures, sized as if they think your bottom is the same size as a 6yr old's. Unless you are talking mega yacht, if it's mandatory that it look and act like a household toilet, move on to a new hobby.[emoji3]

Though ironically, getting a more household like experience is one of the benefits when we switched to a natures head. The natures head seat was sized for an adult.

Other than remembering to open the trap door if you are going #2 and then giving it a crank when done, the use procedure is a lot closer to household operation.
I am quite familiar with marine heads. I have considerable experience on the water, but most of it has been in sportfishing boats from 34 to up 70 ft.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:46   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish3 View Post
I am quite familiar with marine heads. I have considerable experience on the water, but most of it has been in sportfishing boats from 34 to up 70 ft.
Fat fingered quick reply without finishing my thoughts.

I have used everything from a manual head to a state of the art head hunter head in a friend's massive sportfishing boat. I have dealt with clogged vacuflush heads, which is no fun. That said, I would probably favor a simple electric head over the more complicated options. There is no chance though of talking my wife into a composting head regardless of benefits.

When I say I am not settled on boats, I am between the power versus sail equation. I would love a small Nordhavn but I am open to cats and maybe even some mono hulls. I like to fish and scuba dive, so capabilities in those areas are important.

Many here have vastly different views on what works for them and heads are one part of the equation. There is a wide range of boats with many levels of finish and comforts. I would fall into the category of someone who wants a certain level of comforts, and I know that means more maintenance and expense. That's why I am still working versus out playing on an old 32 Westsail.

The point of my original reply is that you will and can limit your buyer pool with a composting head. If the boat is setup for complete off the grid living, then you may appeal to a target audience. If you are in a standard cruiser, then you have potentially lowered your buying pool. If you put one in an Oyster, Hylas, or other top of the line boat, I hope you left the plumbing in place.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:46   #65

Boat: O'Day 28

My good old boat didn't have a holding tank so a "composter" was the easy and cheaper answer. I left the thruhulls in place, capped off. Am still happy with this solution several years later.

I understand fecesfobia and most people seem to suffer from it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:29   #66

Boat: Catalina 400

Good feedback, thank you for your thoughts!

I'm sorry, I didn't phrase my question correctly... shouldn't have asked if it would affect your making an offer; my real curiosity is if it would prevent or encourage scheduling an initial viewing. We all agree that other systems are more important in a buying a boat.

No indecision here, we are changing them out for the reasons most cruisers do.
Admiral is averse to holding tank odors (yes we know how to operate and maintain the systems, odors are minimized but rarely eliminated altogether), and the maintenance department (me) likes simplicity and removing the possibility of a "Poopocolypse" (great word!)

Mike, thanks for setting up that poll, it is encouraging. I would have guessed around 10% or fewer had composters. The data indicates greater adoption which is a positive in my mind.

This thread is the first place I've ever heard a vehement negative about the composting heads. Ever. Over 25 years and 7 boats, never heard anyone have a strong anti-composter opinion. Interesting.

Think about this:
Which of these phrases do you hear around the docks or read most often?

- I love my holding tank system!
- I hate my holding tank system!
- I love my composting head system!
- I hate my composting head system!

You've helped modify the plans, and we're going to keep the thru-hulls and cap them off instead of glassing them over. Removing all tanks/hoses and gaining two settees worth of storage + preventing possible poopocolypse!

Thanks for your help!
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:05   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
Mike, thanks for setting up that poll, it is encouraging. I would have guessed around 10% or fewer had composters. The data indicates greater adoption which is a positive in my mind.

This thread is the first place I've ever heard a vehement negative about the composting heads. Ever. Over 25 years and 7 boats, never heard anyone have a strong anti-composter opinion. Interesting.
Sound like you’ve got a good handle on everything SW. Glad the poll and discussion helped. I too am surprised at the composting head numbers. Based on what you hear here, I too would have thought it was much lower. But perhaps we shouldn’t be too surprised. It really is a better system for smallish cruising boats with small crews. Adoption rates will only grow as people figure this out.

The vehement anti-compost crowd is hard to understand. As you say, it only seems to happen online. I’ve never run into this kind of attitude in the real world. But as I wrote, the “what type of head do you have?” discussion isn’t a common one in the anchorages and marinas I hang out it. I really have no idea what most people have on their boats, which is why I decided to run the poll.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:24   #68

we're a 46' sailboat, and we're full-time cruisers. we have two heads, and are just putting in an "Air Head" composter. I'm optimistic about it. The other is an old Jabsco, with a small holding tank and an Y-valve to go directly overboard. We can also pump the holding tank overboard with a manual whale pump. I don't consider resale when I make changes to the boat.
Certainly the thought of a composting toilet on a boat is horrifying. "Snakes on a plane", sorta.
For resale, I think the easiest to find buyers for is a boat that's absolutely stock, and pristine. Sorta like fiancés, some people feel that if anything weird has been done, I want to be the one to do it ;>). But that's not really how we live, here.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:33   #69

Boat: Scout 30

I think the main reason we don't see more composting heads on boats is that this application is relatively new. When people come on our boat our C-Head invariably becomes the main topic for conversation. Few have ever heard of one & even fewer have actually seen one. Everyone's always amazed by the lack of smell & anyone that's had to deal with a marine head is impressed with the simplicity of the system & how clean it looks. In fact a couple that was on my boat a few weeks ago now has a new C-head on their sailboat. As more people are exposed to the benefits of this conversion market share will increase which will lead to builders offering them as an option which will lead to even greater exposure. And lastly, the restrictions on pumping overboard in the US & Canada are not going away. Composting heads are an easy way to stay legal.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting, sale