Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: what are your sailing pets ?
dog 88 60.69%
cat 52 35.86%
ever went over board 2 1.38%
were they rescued 3 2.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2004, 08:13   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Pet Poll

Of all the pet ownerson board I pose some questions

do you sail with?

dog
cat it sounds like they go over more often
have they ever went over board?
were they rescued?
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13   #2

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
Old 14-08-2004, 11:26   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Used to cruise with a dog (labrador cross) never any problem onboard except when duration of trip exceeded his ability to cross his legs He always used the same corner right by a drain, but always looked so ashamed! He used to love travelling in an inflatable, such that on one occasion he decided it was time for a trip and tried to jump onto somebody elses tender - they decided that a large labrador was not their idea of a passenger, so as dog was attempting to board, they were backing away from pontoon. result - splash! But this was the only time.

The great thing about labradors and boats is that it does not take very long after their initial shake shower before they are dry - so no horrible smell of wet dog

The good thing about catamarans and dogs, is that it is normally MUCH easier to get the dog onboard
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 19:43   #4

Boat: Lagoon 37
Talking

ours love the dink also, and yeah you are right they just jump up the transome steps. If theey can't hold it they ask to go up to the trampoline
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 13:13   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
A friend of ours lives aboard a 1926, about 40 foot gaff-rigged schooner - usually lying somewhere around Carriacou. He has a schiperke (sp?) on board. He takes the dog ashore regularly in his little wooden sailing dink. When they get about 25 yards or so from shore (the dog is always draped over the bow of the dink) he cries, "LAUNCH THE DOG", and with a great leap the dog propells himself through the air ahead of the dink and swims to shore. Both of them seem to greatly enjoy putting on this little show for anyone who will watch.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 19:30   #6

We have a cat, name of Artie. He likes living aboard, but prefers flat water.
rakuqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 03:44   #7

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Sadly my dog never adjusted to the sailboat. she only willingly came aboard if there was a thunderstorm. There was absolutely nothing she liked about sailing ( or motoring either for that matter). when we moved aboard fulltime she went to live with my eldest son. since she had grown up with him, she was 13, he was 28 at the time she moved in, it was not a bad alternative.
For now we are petless.
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 19:22   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Cat on Board

We have a cat onboard Cat Tales named Captain Morgan. He spent his "kittenhood" on our mono hull and has many miles under his paws. In January, we are moving aboard our "new" catamaran and going cruising. We think he will prefer sailing level since he tended to get a little sea sick when conditions were rough. You will recognize our boat immediately when you see Captain Morgan's picture in vinyl as part of the boat's name.
Old 27-12-2005, 18:43   #9

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
Older dogs at sea

My wife and I are planning to head out for a few years in the Fall. We have only one child, our 10 year old mutt (sheppard x something x something x perhaps coyote). He is very dear to us but I'm a little concerned as to how well he'll take to the high seas. He still gets around fine but I can see the signs of age setting in.

Anyone had any experience with these folks:
http://doggydocks.com/index.htm

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 12:08   #10

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Depends

A lot depends on the overall condition of your pet. We brought our cats. Both grew up inside a house and thier first visit to the boat was when we moved on. They were inside pets.

The oldest ,13,is overwieght, even with special cat food and has arthritis. We were worried but the extra climging and movement overl the last 2 years has helped her weight and the climbing helps her arthritis.

We watch and worry but it appears to have been good.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31   #11

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Cats and dogs

My X has two Border Collies, one loves the water, the other hates it. I used to have a Border Collie that would ride on my surfboard. We used to have two shepherd crosses, brothers from the same liter. One loved the boat, the other hated it. I used to have a cat that was happy anywhere that it was warm, Bunky the barn cat does not know what heat is, he lives in the barn and is in charge of his own affairs. What I am saying is that it depends on the animal in question. They are all so very different that it is hard to tell what they may or may not like. That could be a problem if you get a dog that comes from a family of water lovers, and your dog hates the boat and the water. Maybe take the animal for a cruise before you become too attached. When we sell the farm Bunky will be staying. Try and move him, he has little corner of the world all mapped out and he rules it.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:40   #12

Hey Michael.

What are all the visual. And non-visual problems to look for. When you are trying to find out, if a pet is sailing worthy?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 20:27   #13

Testing

When we had the two shepherd crosses, Rolex the watch dog and Radar the surveilence sytem, Rolex would stay on deck and be happy, Radar would go down below and look sick. When we went for a swim, Rolex would follow with out prompting, Radar would stay on the shore.
The two Border Collies are Tui and Lenny. If you through a frisbie in the lake / pond, Lenny will jump in and get it, Tui will stay on shore. Tui is fanatical about sheep but if a sheep goes in the puddle she will not follow, Lenny will still herd the sheep even if they are in the puddle.
Tui is reluctant to go on the boat. Border Collies give better clues than some other dogs, they will draw you a picture if required. You just have to observe and try and figure out what they ( the animals ) are trying to say.
Bunky is fairly clear, when he chomps on you hand, that is a clear sign. He also chomps on anything else, including the horses if they get in the way.
Michael
Old 05-02-2006, 21:15   #14

Hey Micheal.

Would "Beagles" be a good dog to take on sailing trips?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 21:29   #15

Fred dogs

I think a beagle would be a good choice as long as the dog is happy. Short hair, low center of gravity, big feet and a good size for a boat, as in not too big. A keen nose, they should smell land before you do. I have heard they do not like being left alone, so some folks get more than one, but if you take the dog everywhere with you, then that fixes that problem. I used to take my Border Collie ( DB ) everywhere. Likely others know more about the subject than me though. I am just a dumb blueberry farmer. My dog Rolex was not the smartest dog in the world, but sometimes the smart ones can be too complex. He was always happy. In order of smarts it is the Border Collie then the standard poodle, then I forget the rest. If you get one of those two breeds and you just want a pet, get a down stream model, not a gifted one. Just my opinion.
Michael

Tags
poll