Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 03:59   #136

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: More Men-and-Women Issues

What a difference a week makes.

Im moon struck for many reasons and always have been, so Im pleading that last weeks 'blip' was all thanks to the full moon. Normal service has been resumed and my mojo is returned to form.

Ive finally made the companionway hatches, a job ive been putting off for 9 months simply because I couldnt see the best way of doing it.
When I did get the vision last weekend, it was so simple.
Since then ive had a few rather interesting ideas.
A few weeks ago there was a massive motorhome show here and I went for a look see, and to compare the design and standards of the living quarters to my own efforts aboard.

A thought occured that it seems duplicitious to drive a motorhome AND tow a car behind. Why not cut the front off the motorhome, weld on a hitch and tow it behind the car? That way you save the cost of running two vehicles AND still keep the flexibility of the car as a runabout.

Pure genius I know but sometimes the simplest of ideas evade detection. Until now!!!

Anyway, I sure appreciate all the kind words and support you guys have given. Im normally a kickass kind of girl so it has to be blamed on the lunacy.

ps, can lunacy be avoided if I pull the drapes at night? It is just the light of the moon that causes the problems, right?
Old 20-09-2011, 04:14   #137

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

So you are now going to finish 'Boat' sans engine, and put huge outboards on the dink?
Old 20-09-2011, 04:25   #138

Nooo

Its got an engine, it just needs hooking up.

Yeah, JUST needs hooking up. Haha. Nah, its ok, I can do it. Ive been hiding out from the engine task because other things needed doing first and the biggest hurdle is the snag with the stern tube flange mounting plate.

The plate isnt square to the flange so when I tighten the bolts, it pulls off square and the shaft binds in the tube. I gotts sort that before I align the engine.

No worries though, I WILL get it sorted out soon. I wont be singing 'Row row row your boat gently down the stream'
Old 20-09-2011, 04:41   #139

Plan 'B' is to connect it up then apply enough heat to make it relax. It will take one of those big gas torches though, should be one around, and it will put a lot of heat into everything that touches it so you'll have to strip out all bearings and seals - But it will straighten it out so long as you reconnect it in exactly the same position.
Other way is to strip it out, cut or get the flange cut off, re-assemble and tack weld the flange where it wants to be.
There's a solution somewhere, maybe the next full moon will provide the answer.
Now get back to work, raining is no excuse!
Old 20-09-2011, 04:55   #140

Yassum Bozz.
Old 20-09-2011, 04:57   #141

Ouch, that smarts
Old 20-09-2011, 06:51   #142
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Anjou, I wonder why you make such a fuss, well maybe its was a rainy day with nothing better to do. A person of your abilities has nothing to answer for. The world abounds with jerks, men and women. It matters not what your gender is, competent people intimadate the maladroit.

Build your boat.. ignore fools, they abound.

I understand the fuss. It's tough to have the kinds of gifts she has. Most women won't be able to relate to it, and if she runs into a lot of men who disparage it -- life is just so much easier and pleasant when that isn't going on. I mean, I just met a man who was amazed I could dock my boat. What would he think of Anjou? And except for that blind spot, he was enjoyable company. The group I was with had a good time. But he mentioned how surprised he was that I could turn a Hunter into a slip (I'm sure everyone here knows Hunters steer well) it got embarrassing.

I'm going to start making jokes -- "Yeah, I walk on water, too" -- and then change the subject.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:45   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
ps, can lunacy be avoided if I pull the drapes at night? It is just the light of the moon that causes the problems, right?
I've often wondered about the myths surrounding the full moon. There is lots of anecdotal evidence of it's effects but most of the myths seem to not be supported by evidence - it's effects on the female mense and fertility being one. The tides are equally affected by the new moon and the full moon and the moon's perigee has a strong effect as well but you don't hear of the new moon or the perigee causing trouble. The moon, earth and sun are in a complicated gravitational dance that cycles over about an 18 year pattern.

The only time I notice is when the sky is clear and I don't sleep as well so I blame any effect on interrupted sleep patterns and persistent mythes.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 00:43   #144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

My girl friend sees a full moon every month..Im like... yeah I see it too...hell I aint stupid..You gotta love um..if you dont ...Hello Anita Brynt...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 01:03   #145

Altough the moons gravity is @ 16% that of the Earth, its power is immense. Just wonder how many sunamis it would take to move most of the worlds oceans twice a day. Now, if the moon can do that, what else is it doing to us? The cops know how much extra crime and trouble is caused every full moon, and folk lore is full of anecdotes. Mexicans plant seeds a week before a full moon so they germinate and break cover just in time to take full advantage of the extra growing light.

Theres a lot more to this than we shall ever know so dont knock it. Thats my defense and im sticking to it.
Old 21-09-2011, 07:37   #146
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Altough the moons gravity is @ 16% that of the Earth, its power is immense. Just wonder how many sunamis it would take to move most of the worlds oceans twice a day. Now, if the moon can do that, what else is it doing to us? The cops know how much extra crime and trouble is caused every full moon, and folk lore is full of anecdotes. Mexicans plant seeds a week before a full moon so they germinate and break cover just in time to take full advantage of the extra growing light.

Theres a lot more to this than we shall ever know so dont knock it. Thats my defense and im sticking to it.
more crime cause they can see better..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 07:44   #147
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

full moon=full emergency room.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:17   #148

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Relationships are difficult as interests, and desires, need to mesh and compliments... and there are so many of them... it almost always involves compromise. The concept is great, but unless you seriously alter your *wish list* expectations, and so forth... these will come back to haunt you. People need to grow together on a shared path... not as easy as it sounds.
That put me in mind of something I heard a little while back: "Expectation is the death of possibility." If there are a lot of "rock solid" expectations in a relationship, it's been my experience that it makes it very difficult to maintain the levels of allowing, acceptance, etc, that make for a truly great relationship.

Anjou, believe me I know what it's like when people look at you sideways because you do not fit the mold they were expecting, to hear the inevitable stupidity coming out of the mouths of those who are intimidated, envious or just plain knocked off balance, and to feel awkward on those occasions (don't know if you've had 'em, but I sure have, and still do) where you don't feel like you fit in with either 'side'. It's rough on those days, but all you can do is take stock of all the good things in your life, take stock of your abilities, and the next day is, as always, another day.

As for the asshats, f*** 'em and the horse they rode in on, eh? It's good fun when the boys forget you're a girl and treat you like one of them, but I'm sure you can tell the difference between that and just being talked down to by some troglodyte. Regardless which side of the fence the "drill incident" fell on, a good comeback may have been, "Don't hate me 'cause mine's bigger than yours..." If it was all in good fun, everyone gets a laugh. If he was being an asshat, that'll likely keep him from running his holster after that.

If you find Britain isn't so friendly, maybe you could keep your mind open to the possibility of relocating? I've found the climate for women in trades in Canada to be pretty hospitable (trained as a diesel mechanic apprentice).

In closing, as my Recce instructor yelled at us on many occasions, "NEVER, AND I MEAN EVER, DOUBT YOURSELF!!!!"
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:35   #149
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
full moon=full emergency room.....
= a full delivery ward too...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:47   #150
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

where i worked in lost angels, the popping mommas would come into em,ergency to get to delivery--- no english!!!!! much fun and busy as dickens....... gotta love it--i almost miss it
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men