Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 00:03   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Good small boat dog

Personally i believe having a dog depends on the type of cruising youd like to do.

I love dogs and would like to have one, unfortunately im not willing to live with the restrictions your best mate brings to this life.

Cruising for me is about obtaining as much freedom as possible, a dog severly handicaps that freedom , particularly if international travel is on the agenda.

I have Australian friends in Asia with two cats, they cannot fly home together, someone always has to remain behind due the cats in fact taking the cats home in the future seems to be quite a challenge.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 21:56   #62

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a Bichon Frese, which was actually bred for being aboard sailing vessels of old. It was the sailors' dog in all respects.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:38   #63

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Dave,

DON'T get a pair. Then they're a pack, and there's only one of you, and they take their own counsel before yours. They egg each other on to major disobedience, and you take the blame! The book I read by a lady journalist in the Pittwater area who tried it convinced me. Two's double trouble.

Ann
Hi Ann

You are probably right, I had big dogs, mostly hunting dogs and I kept pretty good control of them and they would still get into trouble, but now Ive relaxed a bit and really just want a couple of mates that will be in charge of snake patrols (two and no legs types). I did hope they might keep each other company and not get too yapy when they are alone on the boat.

I'm not up for double trouble, they might end up in a crab pot.......... Just joking.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:36   #64

Boat: Nauticat 36 Ketch
Smile Re: Good small boat dog

Hello, Our first boat dog was a Springer Spaniel - she traveled back and forth with us between Canada and the Caribbean where our vessel was based for 10 years. Contrary to popular belief she was not a water dog however she endured our lifestyle and we made it work. When she crossed the rainbow bridge at age 14 we got a Bichon Frise often referred to as "a human being in a white furry coat". Jake's been with us 14 years, is small enough to travel in the cabin of the plane (at my feet) and is happiest just being with us. He's the perfect 'boat dog' but then so is any dog that simply wants to be with their 'family'. My suggestion: get a dog you love and it'll adapt beautifully.
DebCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:21   #65

Boat: still day dreaming

so you got rid of your lab to go cruising and now looking for another poor dog, what happens when you stop cruising will you get rid of the boat dog and get another land dog or try getting back the lab?
my dog is part of my family and i would wait till she passes before getting rid. A DOG IS FOR LIFE not for your lifestyle
robdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:28   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Good small boat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdyson View Post
so you got rid of your lab to go cruising and now looking for another poor dog, what happens when you stop cruising will you get rid of the boat dog and get another land dog or try getting back the lab?

my dog is part of my family and i would wait till she passes before getting rid. A DOG IS FOR LIFE not for your lifestyle

As posted, I don’t think we will get a dog now, will wait until we stop cruising. We want to go places that dogs are not allowed and or are extremely problematic to bring.
As much as we loved our Lab, taking her off of the Farm where she grew up and was allowed to roam as much as she liked and putting her on a boat made her miserable, we tried it as an experiment, she tolerated it, she is a good dog, but it was like putting one of us in Prison.
She is with a good friend and a good home, she is much better off there than on the boat with us.
It’s not like we took her to the pound or anything.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:35   #67

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Very bad idea! They are illegal in many countries, incour paperwork in others, and sevearly limit your stays ashore, etc.

It is also unfair to the dog! If you MUST, get a quiet one, lest his barking make you a cruiser living at the expense of others!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:37   #68

We have 2 small rescues. They live full-time aboard. My thinking is, if you don't currently have a dog but want one, you'd better be ready to make the sacrifices that comes with having a dog aboard. It's not always easy.
I cannot express enough that there are dogs dying in shelters and on streets everyday. PLEASE visit your local shelter and save a life!!
jnjfredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:08   #69

Carin Terriers are great boat dogs. We have two and they love hanging out on our cruiser or zipping around on the Whaler. They don't shed and are harty dogs at 20 pounds.
Steve Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:32   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We love dogs, especially smart ones, but decided it probably wasn't fair to a dog to be cooped up on a boat in certain countries.

If we were ever to get one to live on the boat some of the criteria we contemplated were:
-intelligent and trainable
-good watch dog
-good swimmer/ok w/going in water
-stout, but nothing over 30-35lbs
-non-shedding/hypoallergenic
-shorter hair and not black to handle the tropical heat better

I'm sure there were more criteria, but those were the majority.

Bill O.
Small stature standard poodle. Ours is 30 pounds. All other listed criteria are met. Electric clippers keep her hair short and are well suited to do mine as well.

Poodles have webbed feet and are great swimmers. Very smart and once over puppy ness they are peaceful and quiet except when visitors or strangers show up.

Ours is very social, great with kids and friendly with both dogs and cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67B50700-C15E-4581-8F4C-993375A054B4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	175181  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:35   #71
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

I'm sorry but dogs don't belong on boats. Your need for it's companionship or your desire to save a few dollars is your problem, not his, and you shouldn't keep the animal in such a limited foreign space...I don't care how big your yacht is. Every time I go cruising and see people taking their dog ashore to do its business I cringe. Grow up, Bite-the-bullet, and get a dog sitter while your on your boat.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:13   #72

Boat: Caliber 47

A Yorkie for sure....ours was house broken and “ did his business” on the bow of the boat....simply set him outside the cockpit and away he went.

The best most loving dog I ever had!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:26   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I'm sorry but dogs don't belong on boats. Your need for it's companionship or your desire to save a few dollars is your problem, not his, and you shouldn't keep the animal in such a limited foreign space...I don't care how big your yacht is. Every time I go cruising and see people taking their dog ashore to do its business I cringe. Grow up, Bite-the-bullet, and get a dog sitter while your on your boat.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
That is somewhat short sighted. It depends on the individuals cruising habits.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:28   #74

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

If your priority is having a dog, get a dog. If your priority is being a boater, don't do it. Your choice.

Dog ownership involves a lot of compromises for boaters.

You have the ongoing, constant, responsibility to care for the dog's needs including feeding, cleaning (bathing) grooming, exercise and their need to relieve themselves.

You activities on and off the boat (shopping, restaurants) will be restricted by the dog's presence.

Your boat will need more cleaning and even then it is likely to smell like dog (you might not notice but your visitors will) and you will have dog hair present everywhere.

Longer sailing trips will be more difficult, particularly if your dog needs to go ashore.

Many countries will be off limits.

Travel home will require special accommodation and may not be possible for both owners at the same time if the dog cannot travel with you.

That being said, it's all a matter of priorities. If you have to have a dog you will discount all the negatives I just mentioned and that dog will be your priority, not being a boater. If your priority is to be a boater, living on a boat and sailing as much as possible, with as much freedom as possible, then you will not have a dog.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:46   #75

Boat: Freedom 38

Lots of good advice, as usual. I would add 2 things:
Surprised no one mentioned Portuguese Water Dog. Expensive and amazing.
Second point - we miss our dogs desperately (lost standard schnauzer 1 year before cruising to stroke. Lost cocker to old age weeks before departing). After cruising for 12 months we concluded that not taking dog was right decision for us. We met a number of cruisers along the way with dogs - and still picture them going ashore in dinghy during torrential downpour & then returning to anchored boat (and cabin) with dripping wet dog. If we get to point (down the he road) where we trade boat for motor home, we will likely consider another dog. ENJOY your cruising!
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat