Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 08:47   #46

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: Dogs

People whose dogs bark all the time are not reasonable people. They are the people who tell you that you're free to move if you don't like it, even though you're there first. Makes me feel like I'm free to cut their anchor rode or drill a hole in their hull as well.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 09:31   #47

Almost anyone including me doesn't have a problem with the odd bark now and then but I thought we were talking about those dogs that were constantly barking every time anything came within a 100 yards. We ended up accidently anchoring next to a boat that had 3 large dogs that barked a lot and it didn't take long and we got out of Dodge. Who wants to go to sea with 3 large dogs in the first place?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 17:35   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Barking dog, banging halyards, noisy generator, loud music, partying.
I'd leave, less stress than trying to get them to change their ways
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 18:21   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I imagine most cruisers have their dogs on board for the right reason......they are a loved part of the family.

I also suspect that it is very hard to exercise dogs properly on a boat which causes them to act out...just like children.... but my attitude is to live and let live.

What really offends me are people who buy dogs for their early alarm barking and mistreat them terribly.

Here in the Philippines, our wealthy Filipino neighbors have large dogs kept in small cages at their weekend homes.

Rarely exercised by the caretaker staff, lovely young dogs go crazy and start to bark incessantly.

Their horrible solution when other neighbours complain and is part of the Bylaw, is to have the dogs voice box cut so all you hear is an empty barking wheeze !

After that, the dogs don't seem to live very long and soon a new one is being tortured

I hate it which is why I am moving back onboard.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 18:40   #50

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
People are the same way.
I think most CFr's are delighted that you have abandoned employment and drifted south....You seem to have evaded Beaufort and Eustis...Having fun? I am not far behind you....just on the opposite coast headed north instead of south. Dogs? You should have three.. they don't wear pants either I will be in Fla in two days.. that loud noise in the sky..lookin out the window for you holed up in the mangroves...
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 19:34   #51

I have had a semi-barky breed twice now. First one squirted water from a squirt gun at its head every time it barked. Stopped barking in less than a week. Second one, I shook a beer can full of pennies, which was startling to the dog...again took a week, no barking. I would not use the collar personally but to each his/her own. Some breeds harder than others of course...but given that it can be such an easy thing to train...anyway it may be cliché to say its the owner not the dog, it really is true in this case. Had a neighbor with a yappy dog and he just wanted it that way to protect his boat...could care less if it pissed of neighbors.
Duke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 04:38   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This attitude will pave way to more disrespect.

Actually, what one should do is report the owner of the dog to the sheriff, have the dog put out and the owner heavily penalized.

Or do we want to live in a world where the dumb and rough will dictate the living choices of the meek?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 05:31   #53

Boat: Bristol 27

It seems so odd that with all the available places to anchor out folks end up back together arguing over dogs, music, halyard noises, etc

Many apartments do not allow dogs. This one I'm presently in does not and it's great for sleeping because there are noise rules

The boat is about a mile from here.

In the bay, there are lots of spots to escape the 1.7 million people in this area and it only takes a few hours sail. It's not hard to find an isolated anchorage either especially with a 4' draft

Maybe it's just the ICW that's the problem or the other popular areas
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 23:16   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Goodness, I'm astonished some of you think you have a right to quietness! I agree that quietness is a wonderful thing to have. I always notice when we anchor somewhere there is airplane traffic. This modern world is a very noisy place, in general, and the truly quiet anchorages very special, indeed.

But come on now, motor yachts have their gensets running, and some sailboats, too; birds make noise, halyards, dogs, chickens ashore, trucks, automobiles, trains, airplanes,whatchya gonna do? Tolerate it or move.

Animals, including humans, and stuff humans have or make, all make noise. You have no rights over any of the above. You might be able to persuade someone, but no rights, only a hope for someone's kindness. Cultivate tolerance and empathy.

Ann
Old 23-01-2017, 00:52   #55

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Chickens!? Where the heck are you anchoring Ann?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-01-2017, 01:19   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Chickens!? Where the heck are you anchoring Ann?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Every single village in the Island Pacific,that 's where, Matt!

Jim (Ann's gone to her bunk, so I'm standing in)
Old 23-01-2017, 01:54   #57

Boat: no boat any more

well Ann, I cannot agree with this wholeheartedly: somehow I felt the scubacompressor running at sundown in this 15-20 boat anchorage in moorea called for a sharpshooter...
they started it up & left in their dingi...
on the subjects of dogs (in general, not only on board): for some dogowners part oof the fun seems to be if their dog gets on other people's nerves. any disbeliever is welcome to cycle here in Austria...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 04:24   #58

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
But come on now, motor yachts have their gensets running, and some sailboats, too; birds make noise, halyards, dogs, chickens ashore, trucks, automobiles, trains, airplanes,whatchya gonna do? Tolerate it or move.

Animals, including humans, and stuff humans have or make, all make noise. You have no rights over any of the above. You might be able to persuade someone, but no rights, only a hope for someone's kindness. Cultivate tolerance and empathy.

Ann
Yeah, that reminds me the apartment complex does not allow dogs and has rules on noise, but my neighbor just moved because of the squirrels running, jumping, and barking on the roof above him.

In the Spring, the Canadian Geese are almost unbearable for the folks on that side of the building they are so loud. There's a large brackish water pond back there well protected from the wind

First jet takeoff at Norfolk Airport is around 0530.

Then there's morning colors (from the navy base, 0800 -365 days per year) plus on Friday mornings they like to play all the services song really loud which seems to be directed at our marina

These ear plugs do come in handy. I use them on the boat also (at known anchorages I can trust) at times because the waves just won't stop hitting the boat or the beach no matter how much I complain. https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Sleep-P...725118-0867016

At times the waves will put me to sleep at other times they won't....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 06:14   #59

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Goodness, I'm astonished some of you think you have a right to quietness!
I don't think anyone said they do. But you know the difference between normal noise and some antisocial a-hole. There's no comparing an occasional airplane to a dog barking 24/7.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 06:30   #60

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You probably wouldn't leave if you were in a marina you liked and had a year's lease on your slip.

I remember being in a marina for two days where another boat had two birds that were constantly screeching. And I remember spending two day in a marina where the people on the next boat over cane back to their boat when the bars closed and partied until 4:00 AM.

As for dogs, getting a dog is a lifetime commitment. The dog's life, not yours. They are like children, you don't know how they will turn out but you're committed to them. You can't really take the dog back after a year because it barks too much. Well some folks take it out in the country and dump it to fend for itself but they are scum! Is that what anyone is suggesting?

Tags
dogs