Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 06:38   #61

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
I have had a semi-barky breed twice now. First one squirted water from a squirt gun at its head every time it barked. Stopped barking in less than a week. Second one, I shook a beer can full of pennies, which was startling to the dog...again took a week, no barking...
I bought a plastic dog whistle and blew it every time the dog barked. She got it off the table and chewed it to pieces.

Next I bought an electronic dog whistle. It had a laser light that came on every time I pushed the button for the whistle. She saw the light and chased it. Every evening she would sit in front of me and look at it and then look at me until I picked it up and played chase the red dot with her.

She doesn't bark in anchorages and she only barks in marinas if someone walks down the dock behind the boat when the curtains are open.

All in all, in my experience, humans are more annoying than dogs.
Old 23-01-2017, 09:23   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Lol.....I agree as long as they are not trying to hump my leg[emoji1]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:09   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Hard to say as I've never knew a dog long term that didn't have a human!
Old 31-01-2017, 08:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Our imperfect dog. He's a rescue mutt, and who the hell would breed a Beagle and a Jack Russel anyway??

He has his share of odd hysterics and freakouts (not related to sailing, usually when he sees other dogs), but he's been awesome to have with us.

I do remember a funny ode to a mutt in the back of 'Outside' magazine. It concluded: 'You know, I'd take a bullet for this dog. And someday I probably will.'

My sentiments exactly.

Now for Baxter's 15 seconds of fame...
Baxter looks like he's a great dog
t3c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 09:00   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
People whose dogs bark all the time are not reasonable people. They are the people who tell you that you're free to move if you don't like it, even though you're there first. Makes me feel like I'm free to cut their anchor rode or drill a hole in their hull as well.
Dogs that bark all the time are also not happy dogs. Dogs bark for many different reasons to communicate their feelings with us, as we all know. We also all know the sound of a happy playful bark. The barking that has been described here unfortunately does not sound like a playful happy bark but one of a scared dog. I have found that dogs fall into a pattern where they will bark at any noise that makes them nervous as a way to protect themselves, until they learn that they are not being threatened. Unfortunately this it is a fear based reaction. Why any owner can sit back and allow for their beloved pet to continue in such a state without a second thought about the animals well being ( mental state) is beyond me. I have found that a simple anti barking dog collar (Tritronics is excellent & I have no affiliation with other than personal experience) that provides an immediate short impulse stimulation that acts to correct unneeded barking. By unneeded, I mean the barking a dog does when it feels threatened when there is no real threat (such as the wind). Once the animal is conditioned to hearing those previous sounds that would have caused the animal to bark incessantly can now be ignored, one has a happier more relaxed animal. We all know that the animal was barking at not a threat but just the wind and now it seems the animal has learned the same. This learned correction doesn't remove the animals ability to bark but rather shows them the appropriate situation for barking, such as a stranger approaching. It has always amazed me of how short of a time frame one has to use the training device before the animal is properly conditioned and the training collar can be put away.
Okay now back to tightening the mainsheet
Old 31-01-2017, 09:25   #66
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Do they make the barking dog collars in human sizes?:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 09:30   #67

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
One thing you learn early in the Bahamas and Caribbean is that you must be alert to the thieves who steal dinghies and invade boats.

We would view having a barking dog on the boat next to us as a plus and my wife would take doggy treats when she went over to introduce herself to our neighbors. We have made many friends this way...people and dogs but mostly dogs!

When we were in Cartagena, where there are lots of dinghy theft, a cruiser complained, on the morning net, that someone had stolen his pit bull guard dog!
When were you in Cartagena? We'll be wintering at the marina there.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:23   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Do they make the barking dog collars in human sizes?:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
They do fit human necks and make for great fun drinking games. I wouldn't know anything about that however 😂
Old 31-01-2017, 11:23   #69

Boat: Passport 40

Any of my apartment neighbors would attest to the fact that my cat can be equally as obnoxious at 1am...but at least it stops their snoring!
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs