Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 18:41   #166
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Vegetarian Cruising

have you checked out a chimpanzees choppers (teeth) Looks way more like dogs than ours. Methinks they may have evolved in a different direction than man from some common ancestor, not that we evolved from them. Why dont we just compare apples and oranges. Then we can keep on the topic at hand.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 19:51   #167

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
since chimpanzee don't cook their food, but, given the chance, are as omnivorous as humans i would suggest to you that our purported "branch[ing] away from herbivores" as a result of learning to barbecue is an hypothesis that is unlikely at best (and that's probably being kind).
That's funny. But my dog threw up on the carpet twice in two days and both times his vomit was full of grass and weed. So should we conclude dogs are omnivores or grazing animals?

People and animals tend to be opportunistic eaters, and we learn from our parents and other influences, including cultural and life education. Scarcity and opportunity are major influences in less affluent societies. When my kids were 8 years old they thought Burger King was the best food because it came with a sweet drink and a toy. Discussions about evolution and other animals is entertaining but academic.

Epidemiological studies show clear evidence that (statistically) you can greatly reduce the most prevalent fatal diseases in Western society by switching to a whole foods plant-based diet. Heart disease can even be reversed by diet alone, without medication or surgery. The evidence is clear, and there are lots of references to it earlier in this thread.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 21:34   #168

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Not to get all sassy with anyone but I think that it's really funny that I received an email from CF with a quote that included the words "chimps don't cook their food" and at that exact moment my wife was telling me about this bonobo who loves to BBQ.-
This Ape Can Cook
Old 11-06-2012, 23:06   #169

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Celestial Sailor showed up, happy to join us. He brought excellent conversation and a normal attitude. I made him a cheeseburger without meat (I grilled a bunch of veggies and melted some cheese on them), he said he really enjoyed it. We became friends and his words of wisdom on diet have stuck with me.
It was all about the company and your family was the best. I'm sure we are both happy that we are out of that yard. There was enough negativity floating around there to fill my bucket for awhile.
After 2 MCI's and told my sailing days were over, I need to make drastic changes. The diet change was the only thing that reversed the declining blood plate numbers. So you can see why I get Irked when the "born again authorities" get on here with random(usually made up) information one way or another on the subject. It's all about life-style for some and survival for others.
I went in for a series of tests from a cancer scare last month and it was a false alarm. One thing the Urologist commented on was how great my numbers were for a guy with 2 MCI's. I told him they weren't always that good.
So for me it was survival. Sure, I could have said screw it and continued down the road I was on. I miss burgers and dogs for sure. But I love adventure much more.
See ya down in Mañana land next year Steve...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 15:47   #170

Boat: Tayana 42

Anybody know of any veg/vegan places in Grenada? Just got here and haven't heard of anything yet...
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 16:09   #171

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulc View Post
Anybody know of any veg/vegan places in Grenada? Just got here and haven't heard of anything yet...
Grenada is not that cosmopolitan that it has dedicated "Vegetarian" restaurants. However, anywhere on the island you can get "Roti's" that are all vegetable. And almost all the restaurants have plates/dishes that are vegetarian. It is not a big deal down there. You eat what you want.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:03   #172

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Wow the wheels really fell off of this thread.......

I am not a vegetarian, but I have read the China Study. The science is rock solid. Based on the science it seems undeniable there are huge benefits to a largely plant based diet.

It seems to me that the RN's, the Cardiologists, and the health care system are only addressing the symptoms of Heart decease. They have no vested interest in a cure.

Celestialsailors experience is real world. Good on him for making the change.

The China Study is a good bit of work.......... definitely worth the read.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:10   #173

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

VEGITARIAN: An old Youper word for "bad hunter"
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 23:16   #174

Is that the best you can do?...really?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51   #175

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

I love this thread! :-)
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38   #176

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Is that the best you can do?...really?
Who me??.............

No could post more. Just didn't want to get too personal. Doc says I gotta make changes. Read the China Study with interest. In fact I found out about the China study on this thread and ordered the book immediately. My numbers are coming down, and I gotta admit I do feel better. So again, good on you for making the changes.

Thing is I like to eat meat. Luckily I enjoy Asian style food and cooking. This might be my saving grace. In the end there is family, friends, good food, and wine...............what else is there in life........ accept for maybe a good spiced rum......just sayin.

S
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49   #177

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
snip

Thing is I like to eat meat. Luckily I enjoy Asian style food and cooking. This might be my saving grace. In the end there is family, friends, good food, and wine...............what else is there in life........ accept for maybe a good spiced rum......just sayin.

S
The key to making this work is new cooking styles. The way European-Americans cook veggies and grains is somewhat limited (and much of it lacks flavor) so you need to explore using other spices that aren't normally used in Euro-American dishes. Indian, Asian, Middle-Eastern and Latin spices really change the game.

You need to eat a variety of veggies, grains, nuts, and fruits to get a balanced diet (true whether or not you are omnivore).

I have found a number of interesting recipes at allrecipes.com (search "vegan") and a number of recipes from a cookbooks and other online sites. One of my favorite cookbooks is "Vegan Fire and Spice". (I like it hot).

Good luck with your diet.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53   #178

No...I meant the post after yours. You and I have to take our health seriously. I love the smell and taste of dead cow but alas...my numbers sky rocket. I have a friend who also jokes that the word Vegetarian means poor hunter. He's 6' 2" and 480 lbs. His total cholesterol is over 300. His knees are so bad, he can barely walk and for years the doctors have been trying to get him to change his diet and bad habits.
Old 05-07-2012, 17:33   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu

Who me??.............

No could post more. Just didn't want to get too personal. Doc says I gotta make changes. Read the China Study with interest. In fact I found out about the China study on this thread and ordered the book immediately. My numbers are coming down, and I gotta admit I do feel better. So again, good on you for making the changes.

S
Dont put all your eggs in the "all Asian" basket. There are some terrible dietary habits in Asia. The Philippines is notoriuos for men dying young from heart disease - 3 brothers in law with heart attacks and stints in their 50's.. MSG is overused in most chinese cooking. I can eat a hawker stall meal and 20 minutes later be dead on my feet and know they blasted it with Ajinomoto. There is also too much stir fry and deep fry going on.

My observation is the key to Asian sizes has more to do with caloric intake, or lack thereof, rather than asian food being healthy as a whole. Although I would say "as a whole" the asians eat a lot more vegetables, chicken and fish. Its the pork that gets the filipinos, predominantly.

Like any "national" diet there is good and bad and it is about choices.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 18:16   #180

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My Old Daddy who lived to 94, aways said he never met a Veggie he did not Like !! best of all if it was cooked with Pork !! LOL Only kiddin