Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 08:25   #16
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
One of the things we do is grow sprouts, its very easy, and tasty along with being much more nutreint rich than the seed itself even on very long passages you can have live green food.
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 21:23   #17

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Seancrown,
I bought a food dehydrator that works well and then vacuem pack for longevity of vittles.
Also you may want to check out the items in "backpackers" sporting stores.
Lightweight fresh veggies last a few days, then go to root crop, rice dishes, pasta meals, and if you look closely in the grocers, canned goods. By the way, If you do take canned goods, I would recommend a grease pencil to write what the contents are on the lids.
Nothing like finding food cans sloshing in bilge waters without the paper labels indicating contents. I would think twice about "canning" your own foods, (in glass jars) because of rough treatment and breakage. When it comes right down to it, unless you really are going out to sea on a passage, you will find what the others have said to be true, eat where the locals eat.
Old 05-12-2007, 23:16   #18

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
hawk do you use the dehydrater onboard? i have seen others talk of vacuem bagging as for packing spare sails/ clothing, and spare bedding, but not for food. how do you do this and is it the same system as the one for bedding and clothing. i was thinking of using that anyway hopefully.
seancrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 23:39   #19

sean -

You guys sound pretty cool in your outlook, and the quaker stance is certainly one that a lot of people (myself included) respect. I'm sure Charlotte would love to exchange any recipes with you guys. You've got to try her kale dish, although are you non dairy too? I think she puts cheese in it! The salmon and leeks(sp?) dish is awesome too. Here's a link we've been working with a lot, but again, Charlotte has much more:
Healthy Recipes
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:34   #20

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancrowne View Post
hawk do you use the dehydrater onboard? i have seen others talk of vacuem bagging as for packing spare sails/ clothing, and spare bedding, but not for food. how do you do this and is it the same system as the one for bedding and clothing. i was thinking of using that anyway hopefully.

Sean,
I use the dehydrator at home, ahead of time, and for that matter the vacuem pack also is used at home.
I make up some meals ahead of time and vacuem pack them cooked and ready to heat. Food that goes in the cooler or ice box, lasts much longer, especially if it finds its way to the bottom of the cooler in the ice water, nothing gets soggy.
I use "Rival's" Seal a Meal" (not too expensive) I think I purchased from Walmart. Honestly fish frozen in the plastic can last 6 months and taste like is was just caught.
I dry apples because I have some apple trees. I seal the dry food in the "seal a meal." Cereal, cookies, crackers, homemade beef jerky, anything that attracts moisture, are great packed. Most of all, you can stow it in the bilge if you want, because the packing is air and watertight.
It also takes up less critical space on a small boat.
Put it on your Christmas list!

Cheers HAwk
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48   #21

Boat: Schock 35
I think it depends on where you will be cruising. On our recent one month cruise to the San Juan and Gulf Islands we took about a ton of canned food of every variety. But, we found ourselves in port every 3-5 days and couldn't resist the local fresh food. As a result we brought an awful lot of the canned stuff back with us. I can see that if you were cruising for long periods on blue water the need to take more food would be more important.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 04:35   #22

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Vegetarian Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSarg View Post
If God didn't want you to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat?
Humans are opportunistic eaters, and culture develops around food, which becomes part of our traditions. If we knew any better, we wouldn't eat animal-based proteins, and would avoid foods containing saturated and trans fats (especially fried foods).

Watch this video if you really want to know (skip to the 24-minute point if you want to get into the "heart" of the matter) Michael Klaper MD - From Operating Table to Dining Room Table - YouTube

You should also go to Amazon or Netflix Instant videos and watch FORKS OVER KNIVES.

This info could literally save your life.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:12   #23

Another issue is the possible adverse affects of processed foods and food substitutes (and nutritional supplements) vs. real food as nature made it.
Old 16-05-2012, 05:52   #24

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancrowne View Post
i looked through the threads here and didnt knotice much on this. my wife and i are both quakers and raised under "difrent(far left)" conditions, she was raised with a no meat diet, and to a degree little to no dairy. I am pescatarian and eat fish , often ,as it is one of gods greatest gifts. I am wondering how many people out there cruise without eating meat or dairy and how it is in other countries.what are some provision ideas and suggestions. i've read in a few books about Tvp(textured vegetable protien), as a great source of protien while sailing any other ideas? as of now i cook with alot of mushrooms ,tofu, rice, and tempe. (of cource tons of fresh fruits and vegetables.)

secondly is a refrigerator needed in these conditions, or would an ice box suffice? no meats dairy or eggs...if i keep the veggies wet and the other things sealed?

My wife and I have eaten only seafood or poultry, (among meats), for over 35 years. We are more healthy for it I'm sure!

Eating red meat is highly "inefficient" as far as foods go, and a unhealthy luxury of the developed world. (Especially USA)

Out cruising, in undeveloped countries' cruising grounds, fresh fruits and produce are available more often than not. Seafood, however... less and less so, as the oceans are either fished out, or the fish may have Cigautera.

There are of coarse, exceptions! We fed ourselves well in Belize... (in '00)

These are ALL good pointers, and we did well with sprouts, falafal,(sp?) rice n beans , etc. Supplements and LOTS of water help too.

We eat dehydrated "quick stuff" under way, and local food as much as possible. We avoid processed canned food, for the most part. Never had a problem.

Regarding refrigeration... Most of my 40+ years of cruising, (15 as full time liveaboard) I didn't have it. However:

We made a small 2 cu/ft refrigerator (Only, not a freezer), 13 years ago, and it still works great. It is air cooled and is fine, even in the tropics. By going with super insulated vacuum panels, and being really tight, it only uses 20 something A/h per day. The solar panels have our batteries back to FULL by mid morning! (see my past posts for HOW...)

Compared to the previous years of using ice, (when available), the refrigerator was WAY nicer, less mess, less hassle to clean up condensation, and in the LONG run, FAR cheaper. Ice can be VERY expensive in 3rd world countries.

Although we still use all of the NON refrigeration tricks, like turning the eggs, and using only a clean knife in the warm mayonaise, etc., this "having refrigeration" goes a long way toward your health and comfort when out cruising.

I put ours second only to the autopilot & GPS...

Btw... Wish we had more Quakers. The World would be a more peaceful place.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016_16.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	41072   Click image for larger version

Name:	hog fish - Copy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	41073  

Name:	077_77_00.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	41074   Click image for larger version

Name:	078_78_00.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	41075  

Name:	P8290437 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	41076  
Old 16-05-2012, 06:38   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

funny how folks find the best source of iron in the body as an "inefficient" source of energy.. everything we eat, as carnivores, is used to its best advantage.
there are vegan cruisers, i have met some, and they can find their foods easily enough--i watched the folks bring back to their boats large bags of veggies and what they considered edibles. it is possible to cruise while remaining vegan, yes.
moderation is the key to being an omnivore. is true, 16 ounce steaks go to fat. but red meat eaten in moderation is not harmful to the body and is used efficiently.
of course if you listen to extreme nutritionists, you will hear weird things. you must be able to weed the bs from the truth.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 07:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
funny how folks find the best source of iron in the body as an "inefficient" source of energy.. everything we eat, as carnivores, is used to its best advantage.
It's inefficient with regard to the pollution and energy consumed to produce the meat as food. It takes 5-10 times the energy (and environmental impact) to grow animal foods as it does to grow plant foods to feed the same amount of people.

Its also more difficult for your body to break down animal fats and protein than it is to digest vegetables lower in protein. Your body must break down protein into amino acids so it can be used. Plant sourced proteins are simpler to digest. As someone who has recently switched to a whole-foods plant-based diet I can attest that I now have A LOT LESS gastric disturbance. You don't need a high protein diet even if you're a body builder, your body can get all it needs from plant sources along with vitamins and minerals (you don't get vitamins from meat). Animal proteins can (and do) trigger many auto-immune diseases and allergies, and inflammation.

Quote:
but red meat eaten in moderation is not harmful to the body and is used efficiently.
of course if you listen to extreme nutritionists, you will hear weird things. you must be able to weed the bs from the truth.
Watch the two movies I wrote about a few posts above. Both of those movies were authored by doctors who know more than you an me about the body, and the latest research. You might think they're "weird things" because you don't know about them, but much of our traditional Western culture's ideas about food and nutrition "just ain't so" and this is coming to light in the newer research.

You might find a tiny minority of cardiologists who will tell you red meat is not harmful. But how harmful is a matter of dosage. Your doctor uses radiation as a diagnostic tool, but they won't tell you that's not harmful either. If you ask ANY cardiologist if it would be better to avoid red meat (and radiation) 99% would say yes.
Old 16-05-2012, 07:17   #27

as qa critical caqre/emergency and pacu rn, i have found that what MY body needs is NOT what the printed words of ANYONE say. i refuse to listen to the extremists and trendy soulos who advocate eating onlyXXXXX--as that is BAD for body. i know what my body NEEDS and i eat that. i donot go overboard on anything-- humanbeings ar OMNIVORES. programmed to eat EVERYTHING, not just selected things someone has decided to screen and approve for human consumption. i donot eat poisons nor other things that hurt bodies--and my body knows what to need and receive.
we can argue about tis forever--but listening to extremists dictate foods is not my cuppa and i do not go there--is not healthy.
cutting out ALL fats and oils prevents the body , female, from producing eggs. no eggs, no offspring. ever wonder why many anti fats souls CANNOT become pregnant?? NOW YE KNOW.
there is a lot about nutrition that nurses know as fact that doctors do not and will never acknowledge not knowing. i wouldnt trust em as far as i could throw em. look at adkins and his trendy kill 'em off diet.
go for it--do all you can to follow trends--will be more earth for the rest of us. every food source has a reason for being a food source, even red meat, omg!! --and the great thing about doctors and nutrition--the doctor will NEVER acknowledge his trendy dictates could possibly KILL you because of lack of certain nutrients NEEDED by the body.
good luck and have long life.

btw--just because a doctor ANCHORED the movie doesnt mean he WROTE he script--and doesnt mean the movie presents actual FACT--is still merely OPINION of the WRITER.
you would be surprised how very little doctors know about nutrition, in fact.
Old 16-05-2012, 07:46   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
as qa critical caqre/emergency and pacu rn, i have found that what MY body needs is NOT what the printed words of ANYONE say. i refuse to listen to the extremists and trendy soulos
Well then, there you have it. Right or wrong, you've made up your mind. I have clawed my way back from 2 MCI's I'm a vegetarian of 4 years now and watched my numbers get better and better after each blood panel. Those are the facts...not some "El Toro" opinion.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 07:53   #29

Quote:
snip --and the great thing about doctors and nutrition--the doctor will NEVER acknowledge his trendy dictates could possibly KILL you because of lack of certain nutrients NEEDED by the body.
good luck and have long life.

btw--just because a doctor ANCHORED the movie doesn't mean he WROTE he script--and doesn't mean the movie presents actual FACT--is still merely OPINION of the WRITER.
you would be surprised how very little doctors know about nutrition, in fact.
I agree with what you wrote above, but disagree with the portion I snipped. You should take the time to watch those specific movies I referenced before you express an opinion about them. Your opinion is based on assumptions in this specific case, until you have done that.

You're right that doctors get almost no training in nutrition, and that most know little about it. My wife is an RD and she now believes much of what she learned in school is just wrong.

Check out the videos, you will find something of value even if it's not something you fully "buy-into".

BTW -- I agree 100% about Adkins and I don't advocate eliminating oils either, but I do advocate eliminating saturated fats and trans-fats as much as possible (and that includes all animal fat).
Old 16-05-2012, 07:55   #30

genetics is a heavier risk factor than is diet.
just dont eat the hydrogenated goop that is sold for use as a substitute for real butter and real cream--is more dangerous than is real foodstuffs. same with hfcs. use sugar, non refined, instead.
hfcs is dangerous stuff. much of the fad stuff is crap. old fashioned food is still better for ye than is the bs that was made to substitute for the real deal.
i use butter and bacon but i dont swim in them--just enough to give flavor and not a lot of the greasy stuff that is a side effect of not draining the goop off...
i bbq meats over coals and make the fat go to air and the coals....what i eat is healthy and not trendy.
oh, i cannot watch movies on htis puter her ein mexico--two reasons--no bandwidth with thwifi here and copyright and patent problems in mexico, so far--at least that is what the videos say when tried to play..