Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 10:02   #136
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Vegetarian Cruising

no--the gelatin capsule is what i was referring to--i cannot ingest pills for supplementation, as they use vanillin as a coating, when gelatin is not used. i do well with my foods--i eat my vitamins and minerals inmy foodstuffs--have to do that, or i become illified....weird stuff, reynauds disease. when i dont feel like eating meat, i dont, when i do --iz ON....but i HAVE to attend to my body needs in my diet.
i dont condemn anyone for their choices, but i can play devils advocate any day of any week...and i know where the GOOD veggies are, and the GOOD meats..thankyou for the offer, but i need to abstain and stay as i have been as it does work for me.

mebbe the teeth and jaws are for hauling lines and halyards and sheetwork......some of those jaws look good for that kind of work.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:03   #137

Boat: In between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
And those meat eating designed teeth enabled the "Miami Zombie" to do a number on some poor homeless guy in Miami a few days ago, "eating his face." Miami Face-Eating Attack Lasted 18 Agonizing Minutes - ABC News
And so WWZ begins... Glad to have a boat and zombies can't swim

To get back to the thread. While, one could get a sufficient amount of protein from beans and other legumes, there are some forms of protein that only come from meat. Notwithstanding that fact, diet is personal preference, as are any consequences. I think I'll to spend this summer testing out my rum & icecream diet. May not be the healthiest, but I bet I'll be happy everyday
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:23   #138
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rum n ice cream sounds almost as good as amaretto n ice cream....lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:34   #139

Boat: Tayana 42

almond milk, kahlua, meyers rum, creme de cocao, and ice all blended together for me... it doesn't taste the same but it is still pretty good. Most things taste good down here in Iles de Saintes!
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:46   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I think going totally vegan is nuts, but that is my perspective. I think I am somewhat backed up by science, as are those vegetarians who discuss the ill effects of eating meat that is too high in fats or eaten in too much quantity.

As a result of being VERY particular about what I eat, I want to know what is in my food. I found this great website, which not only gives the dietary information for natural foods, but also for those that choose to eat processed foods or buy brand name foods, what they contain.

The site is Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com It gives the normal dietary information, but also things like the glycemic index and inflammation factor.

It takes some time at first to build meal plans that are healthy, nutritious, affordable and interesting. But once you have the basics, the substitutes are easy to make, spices are your friend, and any new food is quickly assessed. Heck, they even have fast food breakdowns if you need to indulge every once in a while.

No matter what you your choice of diet is, I would strongly recommend you review what you are eating with what that food contains.

I do this every time I think of buying a new food item. BTW, I don't eat processed food, except for ham and margarine. And prefer my meat to come from a deer, moose or elk.
Old 31-05-2012, 10:51   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
question for vegans , who eat NOTHING from animals--how do you get around the gelatin coating on capsules of b-12--that is made from animal stuff. gelatin is from boiled bones.
supplemental pills and capsules, even made from natural stuff have additives not natural. is not natural to have to take supplements made by humans or robotics.
so far, this antique thread has not addressed the op's original question, except in a few rare instances, which have been ignored by most posters to this thread.
Can I ask you something? Why do you care? I mean really? I know the trap you are trying to set; in 20 years I've heard them all multiple times. It's a game that meat-eaters love to play -- especially family members and friends. (FYI It is easy to buy non-gelatin products for those of us in the know.)

As a human I recognize that my existence relies and depends on the lives and deaths of hundreds of organisms no matter what I eat. I just try very hard to minimize the damage to others and myself. It's my choice. Get over it.

And I thought I answered the posters questions. To expand further on the last question: we did start with an ice box for about 5 years, but the humidity with the melting ice made it hard for some things to survive long. Now we use a small 12V cooler with a special cabinet that traps the cold air where we can store additional medium-perishable items. We're quite happy with the setup and we have found that most villages (many without refrigeration) only grow/trade produce that survives well in their climate. In fact they often have local substitutes for common items, for example cilantro has a much hardier cousin called culantro.

Eric
Eric. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 11:07   #142

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
snip
Meat gets rancid and rots before it gets through the digestive system. Thats why meat eaters have such awful smelly flatulence. One thing I noticed after switching to a mainly vegan lifestyle is the gas has little to no smell, that goes for the perspiration also. So given that you regular meat eaters stink. (snip)
+1 -- I have been on a "plant-based whole-foods" diet (no meat or dairy, fried or processed foods, minimal sweets) for about 5 months and have noticed the same things. Few talk about it.

My reason for switching is to stay healthy longer, remain off statins and other medications that ALL have undesireable side-effects, and avoid/delay problems associated with a family history of heart disease. Given all that is now known about disease and diet, the "extreme" thing to do is ignore that info and continue to eat a traditional Western diet. The reasonable thing to do is change.

Yes I'm pontificating, but given the latest research it's not much different than suggesting smokers stop smoking. Forgive me for wishing a good thing on others.

Omnivores should take this challenge: Eliminate meat, fried foods and dairy for just 4 days.... I predict that if you suffer from acid stomach, hemorrhoids or bowel inflammations including "irritable bowel syndrome" -- they will likely clear up without medications. If you have allergies that affect your respiratory/nasal system, eliminating dairy will result in noticeable improvement. If you don't feel better or notice the improvement in your system, have a sausage breakfast on day 5.

Given that food is cultural and cooking is learned, most westerners don't know enough variety in recipes to make a plant-based diet interesting. We need to be willing to cook in new ways to make this change work. Learning to use spices are the key. Indian, Asian and other cultures have this down. There are some good Latin and Euro-American recipes too. Check out this book for a great start Amazon.com: Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes (9780980013108): Robin Robertson: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
Just an FYI about the vitamin supplements...fruits and veggies and grains supply all the vitamins and minerals and protein we need. The only reason B12 supplements are suggested is that B12 is made by a bacteria that is in the dirt. These days all our produce is so clean that all the B12 is washed off. Animals who eat more "naturally" ingest B12 via the dirt which is why "meat" is a source of B12.

It really is a personal choice. I don't know why people get so argumentative about it.
Great post and right on target about nutrition and B12.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 12:21   #143

Boat: Catalac 8m

Zeehag---
From one RN to another.
Have you not heard of evidence based medicine? Or did your retire before practicing it became the norm.
CharleyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 12:27   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I have been on a "plant-based whole-foods" diet (no meat or dairy, fried or processed foods, minimal sweets) for about 5 months and have noticed the same things. Few talk about it.
As another data point, most of my family on both sides have some type of coronary heart disease. Before going strict vegan I ate some chicken, fish, dairy and eggs. My cholesterol LDL levels were over 260, my triglycerides where high and so was my blood pressure, despite only being 25 years old (oh so many years ago) and biking 80 miles a week. The doctor told me I was at high risk for a heart attack in the next 5 years if things didn't change. So I quit all meat and eggs. Two years later I had LDL of 112, normal triglycerides and normal blood pressure so I never looked back and since stopped eating dairy too. Several people in my family have died from heart attacks, are obese, have type 2 diabetes and EVERYONE but me (and my vegan sister) is on some type of satin drug.

I learned a lot from Dr. Dean Ornish and his research. And I recently saw Forks Over Knives which has compelling medical research about the benefits of plant based diets and eliminating dairy too. (Largely based on The China Study and clinical animal testing.)

One more personal story. I had a friend with a 90% blockage near his heart. He showed me the images and I told him to get angioplasty and don't mess around. He didn't want the surgery and followed Ornish's plan strictly. We all supported him, but quietly kept wondering if he was doing the right thing. Six months later he walked into my office and slapped down another image showing the blockage was completely reversed. It was one thing to just read about the benefits, it was another to see his blockage reverse.
Eric. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 12:49   #145

Boat: Catalac 8m

Sorry. I just became overwhelmed/infuriated, when reading this thread, mainly due to what I felt was unprofessionalism and use of the nursing credentials.
As a nurse practitioner who deals daily with chronic illness, I feel that spreading the word about proper diet is the most important thing any of us can do to make this nation more healthy.
CharleyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 13:07   #146
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I dont take pill supplements. Most Nutritional yeast ,which vegans and vegetarians are familiar with is fortified with b12. Dont know why its not more popular with the general population as it adds kind of a buttery flavor to foods without fat.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 17:15   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyAnna
Sorry. I just became overwhelmed/infuriated, when reading this thread, mainly due to what I felt was unprofessionalism and use of the nursing credentials.
As a nurse practitioner who deals daily with chronic illness, I feel that spreading the word about proper diet is the most important thing any of us can do to make this nation more healthy.
As an observer the RNs debating this confirms my belief. No amount of training will gain consensus in any field. The same is true for doctors, supposedly higher trained than nurses.

If so called professionals are polarized it simply means the layperson will find the research that supports their own belief. And they will always be successful.

My disappointment in in this thread is prety simple. Someone asked presumably about how to cruise as a vegetarian. Instead of the vegetarians being allowed to disseminate their info in peace, the are attacked by the carnivores. And yes I get the irony.

Suggest the meat eaters start their own thread about how to store meat on board.

No one is going to convince anyones else that one dietary choice is better than the other. Or at least ai haven't seen any epiphanies one way or another, RN or no...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 22:54   #148

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I find many vegetarians pontificate, and when they do, I have a tendency to respond.
...hmmm...good that you're not doing that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 23:03   #149

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I don't know too many dogs that are "vegan."

Nellie is...well, except for the occasional finger...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Nellie 2011 001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	41716  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 00:21   #150

Smile Re: Vegetarian Cruising

I think this is an interesting topic…I never really thought about being able to support an eating (lifestyle) choice while cruising…
I am vegan as well; I made that lifestyle change last October. After reading the China Study (by Dr. T. Colin Campbell) and watching the documentary 'Forks over Knives', it made too much sense to me. I chose to do it for health reasons…actually I chose it because I want to try to avoid health issues. I have never felt better in my life! I wish I had done this sooner. I have cut out all pre processed foods and as far as sugars go, I use honey or agave. Choosing to eat a whole plant food based diet does take creativity and a lot of planning…but totally worth the effort.
You are right…it’s not always possible to eat organic and it’s not always possible to eat vegan, If I go out with friends and there is nothing vegetarian/vegan friendly on the menu, I would choose a good seafood option. Everything in moderation…
So when out on an extended trip how do you stock up on food that would fit your eating preference? I would think that storage and refrigeration would be difficult?

Mary
yallamillie is offline   Reply With Quote