Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 00:46   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Unused Brand New Diesel Jerry Cans for Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I am pretty cheap but even I would rather just bite the bullet and buy the right color jugs, and sell or give away the unneeded ones. The more idiot proofish you can make stuff, the better.
People are assuming Dockhead is in a large American town with lots of shops and options to buy the correct containers. I think you will find he is in Iceland, total population 350,000 and villages pretty spread out. The hint is in the question, if the correct water containers were available then this thread wouldn't have been posted.

Actually I suspect El Pinguino is pretty close to the mark, these containers are going to be used to transfer water to the yacht as posh marinas with power and water in Greenland are probably a little hard to find. An old fish dock would be a luxury, mostly going to be a sheltered beach

This is a one off short term requirement for the summer. I suspect once he is back home in the autumn they will offloaded.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 02:04   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I am pretty cheap but even I would rather just bite the bullet and buy the right color jugs, and sell or give away the unneeded ones. The more idiot proofish you can make stuff, the better.

It's not a question of expense -- we are less than one degree from the Arctic Circle and buying different jugs would involve complex overland travel and lose us a couple of days.

So I don't care about the color of the jugs - just whether or not I will poison the crew.

We have a Seagull filter which seems to take the most things out of the water, but I don't know about dissolved plasticizers.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 02:07   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
People are assuming Dockhead is in a large American town with lots of shops and options to buy the correct containers. I think you will find he is in Iceland, total population 350,000 and villages pretty spread out. The hint is in the question, if the correct water containers were available then this thread wouldn't have been posted.

Actually I suspect El Pinguino is pretty close to the mark, these containers are going to be used to transfer water to the yacht as posh marinas with power and water in Greenland are probably a little hard to find. An old fish dock would be a luxury, mostly going to be a sheltered beach

This is a one off short term requirement for the summer. I suspect once he is back home in the autumn they will offloaded.

Pete

This, exactly.

But Ping's comment about humping 20 liter containers did give me pause. Yes, we will be taking water from waterfalls and streams, like everyone does in Greenland. I guess we can partially fill them if it's too heavy to lug them.

All of this is because the watermaker manufacturer failed to make our watermaker in time to ship it to us in the Faroes. All of our planning was based on having a watermaker.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-07-2018, 02:13   #34

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Do you drink water on your ship?

Golly.... that's novel......

Harden up... drink it neat.......

You have inet... one assumes you are near a town... surely every town on the planet sells bottled water?

You can buy those 6 litre bottles in Puerto Williams.... not that that is much use to you....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 02:23   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Do you drink water on your ship?

Golly.... that's novel......

Harden up... drink it neat.......

You have inet... one assumes you are near a town... surely every town on the planet sells bottled water?

You can buy those 6 litre bottles in Puerto Williams.... not that that is much use to you....

Ha, ha

We are anchored near what passes for a "village" in NE Iceland -- about a dozen houses and a small shop. I'll see if they have bottled water.

The I'net is amazing in this country -- I don't know what it cost per capita to install all this infrastructure for such a small population -- coverage far better than in the UK, and all of it LTE. Was the same in the Faroes, and indeed in all of the Nordic countries.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-07-2018, 02:25   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, stevenstoll.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 09:19   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

When you get to some "civilized" country, leave them unlabeled and filled with water on deck. It would be interesting to see who's diesel won't start.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 10:05   #38

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
When you get to some "civilized" country, leave them unlabeled and filled with water on deck. It would be interesting to see who's diesel won't start.

LOL that would be great! To really set the hook, float a cup of diesel on top of the water so it would smell right to the thief!
Old 19-07-2018, 10:15   #39

Okay Dockhead, I gotcha. Do you have a FW tank or will the jugs be your tank? I don't think they would be particularly harmful for very short term storage from source to tank, especially with a good rinse first. Long term exposure or high concentration exposure is a serious issue. Very minute quantities, short term, hey our environment already gives us traces of every chemical that has ever been found or made. Its like eating tuna. Everybody knows its got mercury in it but we eat it anyway, just not a bellyful, three times a day. I can't see the jugs poisoning your water to any significant degree if they are just used for transport or very short term storage. Got activated charcoal filters? An overabundance of caution and all that. Anyway now you will probably have official water jugs on hand, I am sure, after your next visit to a major metropolitan type port.

Oh, the hardships. I bet you are really suffering up there in the Icelandic summer. So deprived in those primitive surroundings. Bet you are having a blast!
Old 19-07-2018, 10:29   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Along the lines of what Growley says, if you do not need to use those dieselwater cans right away? Fill them anyway, ASAP. And leave them filled, so that anything which might leach out of the plastic, does. Then dump and rinse before filling with the "real" drinking water you plan to store. And, move that back out to the real water tanks sooner rather than later, to cut down the time the water is in them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 10:41   #41

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

When I was in HomeDepot getting a fuel jug last week I noted 3 colors:
Red- gasoline
Yellow- diesel
Blue - Kerosene

I recall from somewhere that Black was the preferred color for water, blocks light and inhibits algae growth.

All made from the same material so makes no difference. If you are going to alternatively purpose a diesel jug, do the same as you would one meant for water.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 11:15   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Adelie-
"All made from the same material so makes no difference."
That may be true for generic blow-molded goods. But several brand names do in fact claim to use different plastics (different additives to "the same" plastic stock) and to have water jugs that are FDA certified for drinking water. Others make no such claims. I would expect all the generic Chinese jugs to be the same except for their color, that certainly makes for the cheapest product.

"Black cat, white cat, all same. Catch mice." [Chairman Mao]
Sometimes "all same" are different.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 11:44   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any chemical that may be absorbed by the water, the seagull will remove.
This is the page on their testing standards, unfortunately they only publish that I can find stats on biological growth, where they show a reduction of 99.99% of viruses, and that is pretty small, but where activated charcoal really shines is chemical removal, and I have taken a used seagull cartridge apart, it’s purely highly compressed activated charcoal. I suspect some colloidal silver for the bio component too.
https://generalecology.com/info/testcenter
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 14:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Along the lines of what Growley says, if you do not need to use those dieselwater cans right away? Fill them anyway, ASAP. And leave them filled, so that anything which might leach out of the plastic, does. Then dump and rinse before filling with the "real" drinking water you plan to store. And, move that back out to the real water tanks sooner rather than later, to cut down the time the water is in them.

Good idea. Great minds think alike. Sometimes, anyway.
Old 19-07-2018, 16:41   #45

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Black cat, white cat, all same. Catch mice." [Chairman Mao]
Absolute nonsense.

First, you've given the wrong source. The citation should be to Deng Xiaoping, not Mao Zedong zhuxi.

The usual representation of Chairman Mao is that he might have been expected to care about the ideological character of a cat and to prefer a cat with a particular ideology over others, in expectation that all cats can catch rats.

The usual representation of Deng is the opposite. He is usually seen as pragmatic, wanting results or ends and not caring much about the means or worldview of the agents that were the means to those ends.

Second, you've created a racist monster, pretending that Chinese is some sort of unsophisticated language that is the equivalent of ungrammatical baby-talk English.

Third, you've ignored the history of the citation and its context.

Zhuo Lin, Deng Xiaoping's spouse, pointed to the ultimate source: the collection of Sichuan stories by Pu Songling entitled <Liaozhai zhiyi> [Strange tales from Liaozhi]. One of those stories had the line 'yellow cat or black cat, the rat-catcher is the powerful one' [huangli heili, deshuzhe xiong]. That follows object-comment word order (i.e. OC instead of the more usual SVO subject-verb-object word order of colloquial spoken Chinese). OC is not uncommon in written modern Chinese and is also quite common in classical Chinese.

Zhuo said that Deng had often carried Pu's book with him when travelling, as something to read before retiring for the night.

Deng was from Sichuan, albeit his family was one of many that had moved from Guangdong to Sichuan after a historical depopulation of Sichuan.

Pu's line was his version of an adage known in Sichuan: 'yellow cat or black cat, if it simply catches rats then it's a good cat' [huangmao heimao, zhiyao zhuazhu laoshu jiushi haomao]. Also in object-comment word order.

Deng Xiaoping's quote was 'it matters not if white cat or black cat, if it catches rats then it's a good cat' [buguan baimao heimao, zhuo dao laoshu jiushi haomao].

Tags
diesel, water