Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 09:02   #16

Boat: STARRATT & JENKS 45
Re: Sea water evaporation system

When living/working in S. Korea, we used the triple ceramic filter drip system by Katydyne for about 10 years...It definitely filtered out all kinds of junk, but never got rid of the iron pipe taste of their water there. We just made ice tea and used it for coffee water. The ceramic filters were excellent in filtering out everything but virus in the water, and boiling did the trick on that. I am making an air filteration system for my regulator/oilless air pump to clean the bottom of my boat. An activated charcoal filter and material is what is used to clean up the air. I have used a charcoal filtered cup to clean up the water taste and it seems to do all right. I will have one on my watersystem in the boat also.
Old 20-10-2013, 09:48   #17

I've been thinking of trying to do something with solar tubes, http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/solar-tubes.aspx , including heating water as part of a solar still. Has anyone tried it before ?
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 10:06   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
I've been thinking of trying to do something with solar tubes, Solar Vacuum Tube | Solar Evacuated Tube | Electric Bike Kit | Electric Bicycle Kits | Clean Republic , including heating water as part of a solar still. Has anyone tried it before ?
I believe the goal is to create a very cheap system and at $99/20" tube the cost would mount rapidly. I suspect it would mount faster than the increased efficiency justifies but am not sure.

Previous posters have mentioned a problem with sloshing, line the bottom of the collector with black polyester fleece or felt.

Opps, missed the part where it said lot size. Makes the economics more likely.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 10:08   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
I've been thinking of trying to do something with solar tubes, Solar Vacuum Tube | Solar Evacuated Tube | Electric Bike Kit | Electric Bicycle Kits | Clean Republic , including heating water as part of a solar still. Has anyone tried it before ?
Never mind as part of a solar still, what a great way to heat water on board without running the engine or genny. $99 for 10 tubes beats the £6000 someone tried to sell me a few years ago for a house system.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:34   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: morgan pilothouse ketch 40 ft Safira

do believe the solar still is your best bet .... I made one quite a few years ago ... it produces about 6 to 8 gallons of water right from the saltwater ... cost about less than a hundred to make .... it weight is around 10 pounds ...
safira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 16:16   #21

Check Amazon 'Sailing the Farm' it's old but a must have for info. Or use this...

cruisenews.net/sailfarm.pdf
Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 18:49   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I still think a well made bimini with water collection drains is the best way to keep water coming aboard!! this and a cockpit shade with drains to catch water at anchor, and as the man above said steer for squales! We have had water makers on our last 2 boats, won't have another without a water maker aboard! But we will still have water catching canvas aboard for helping out !! At least Connie can use the rain water to wash her hair!!
Old 22-10-2013, 21:07   #23

Boat: Kristen 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Never mind as part of a solar still, what a great way to heat water on board without running the engine or genny. $99 for 10 tubes beats the £6000 someone tried to sell me a few years ago for a house system.

Pete
I just ordered the tubes, should be fun to make a hot water system.
I have solar panels for power, but run out of hot water after a day and half and I do love a hot shower.

Chuck
Old 23-10-2013, 14:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post

I have solar panels for power, but run out of hot water after a day and half and I do love a hot shower.

Chuck
Definitely let us know how they work. I'm particularly interested in how well the "manifold" type hookup they show in the videos works in real life. Is that how you're planning on setting it up?
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 10:05   #25

Have you had a chance to put this together yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post

Chuck
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 10:38   #26

Boat: STARRATT & JENKS 45

FRESNEL LENSES
fyi
The site above has Fresnel lens for sale that will boil water in 87 seconds in direct sunshine, or so it claims... Think of a large magnifying glass lens with a focal point on a coiled stainless steel tubing containing water to get your hot water or fresh drinking water... lots of possibilities there. they are not cheap but would be usefull at anchorage or calm seas...
Old 18-11-2013, 13:15   #27

And then there are these Solar Vacuum Tubes: Solar Vacuum Tube | Solar Evacuated Tube | Electric Bike Kit | Electric Bicycle Kits | Clean Republic I just discovered those things today and haven't had time to read about them yet but I was thinking that besides heating up water for showers that maybe they could also be used to purify water too?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 19:27   #28

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Very interesting stuff. I never considered collecting rain water and although I was leaning more toward a situation where rain would not fall for a time but I can see how my hard dodger could easily keep my supply full up and it would be easy to maintain this supply.

Please let me know how the solar tubes work! I really like this idea. I could see using this for cooking, washing dishes, and personal hygiene. I think the only real danger I would have with my cat is a catastrophic fire so never lighting anything is the best safety measure. I was told it was unsinkable but that is yet another thread to open.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:15   #29

Boat: Kristen 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Have you had a chance to put this together yet?
No, not yet....projects, projects, projects.
I did put water in one of the tubes, and the water got very hot, on a cloudy day.

Chuck

Tags
water