Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 08:43   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Rice and other long-term rations storage

does anyone have experience growing your own, like bean sprouts or tomatoes, on board?
Old 16-01-2016, 09:12   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
does anyone have experience growing your own, like bean sprouts or tomatoes, on board?
We've just eaten the beansprouts grown using the method in the link below for dinner. We regularly grow sprouts to add variety to salads.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ide-75642.html
Old 16-01-2016, 09:17   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Here in California we have a restaurant supply and grocery chain called "Smart and Final." They sell square hard clear plastic containers with large screw caps in 3 sizes. I have been using them for everything from rice and cereal to spare parts and tools (not in the same tub) that I want to be able to see and keep dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-01-16 at 9.17.08 AM.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	116818  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

WEEVILS - foolproof way of avoiding:
Get a 35mm film cannister and loosley stuff in a piece of cotton wool. Jab several small holes into the film cannister lid.
Apply half a dozen drops of chloroform to the cotton wool and put the film cannister into the container with your biscuits, rice, pasta, whatever. You'll not suffer from weevils from that particular container. One film cannister shall serve up to around a ten litre container. Once the storage container has been opened redose the film cannister as a precaution.
Incidently, we bought many plastic containers with screw lids in the Middle East and several are now well over ten years old and still seal perfectly, are still crystal clear and are tougher than then proverbial boots.
You see these containers all over the supermarkets in the Middle East including Carrefour and LuLu and they ae so, so cheap.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:34   #20

We stored rice and beans in 5 gallon paint buckets with sealing lids(Lowes, etc). Used When we tried plastic soda bottles we discovered the plastic imparted tastes to whatever they held and disintegrated overtime, even in dark storage. Beware of polycarb bottles. Lots of issues on that one.

Our friends swear by silicone bags as the cats' meow. No odors, etc. We never tried them but would if we sail again. Rice and beans need dry storage. Medium grains are the most versatile. We always preferred either Thai or Japanese rice since it lasted longest and tasted best(yes, we use hashi).
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:36   #21
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

where do you get chloroform?
Old 16-01-2016, 09:38   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dptconst View Post
I have heard that micro waving grains prior to sealing in storage containers will prevent the weevil and other worm problems? Does anyone have experience with this?
Yes, I have heard that works. It blows the little eggs up

Haven't tried it.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:44   #23

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
WEEVILS - foolproof way of avoiding:
Get a 35mm film cannister and loosley stuff in a piece of cotton wool. Jab several small holes into the film cannister lid.
Apply half a dozen drops of chloroform to the cotton wool and put the film cannister into the container with your biscuits, rice, pasta, whatever. You'll not suffer from weevils from that particular container. One film cannister shall serve up to around a ten litre container. Once the storage container has been opened redose the film cannister as a precaution.
Incidently, we bought many plastic containers with screw lids in the Middle East and several are now well over ten years old and still seal perfectly, are still crystal clear and are tougher than then proverbial boots.
You see these containers all over the supermarkets in the Middle East including Carrefour and LuLu and they ae so, so cheap.
Chloroform; not just for date night any more....

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:21   #24

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hospitals and clinics typically have large volumes of discarded sterile saline bottles in many sizes [1/2 and 1 liter are my favorites] which you can often obtain if you ask the right person. [I'm told sterile saline is used in quantity in emergency rooms and surgery wards...]

These 'hospital bottles' are BPA free small neck flexible bottles with two flat o-rings in the lids. [double seal...] I have some that are over 30 years old and are still in use...

FWIW

Cheers!

Bill
Old 16-01-2016, 10:25   #25

Quote:
We tried on our ws43 but it was too messy when at sea. Worked well enough in port. At sea, maybe a hydroponic setup would work better. Otherwise, dirt, mildew, and bugs were what we harvested.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:27   #26

Used Costco plastic nut etc. containers meet the criteria for size, square and cheap. Great for cereal, flour, rice etc.
Cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:36   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Symphony - at the local pharmacy - sold in 750ml bottles at around $2.50 per bottle.
Have to admit that I have not bought in other area's - it also evaporates once the sealed bottle is opened. However, it works exceptionally well.

Quote:
where do you get chloroform?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:09   #28

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

About five years ago, I bought a 20 pound bag of rice. I poured it into a half-gallon mason jar, and then into 1-gallon mylar bags, tossed in an oxygen absorber, and then vacuum sealed it. (I used a snorkel-type vacuum sealer, a Sinbo Dz-280. The commercial sealers rely on special bagging material that has microchannels in the plastic. They won't work with mylar bags, or with the cheap commercial vacuum seal bags).

When I was done, I had five mylar bags and a 1/2 gallon jar. My intent was to keep the 1/2 gallon jar in the kitchen for daily use, and refill it from a mylar bag, as needed.

The filled bags are 9x12, and about 1 1/2 inches thick. Flat and easy to stack and store. They weight 3.6 pounds/each.

Then I went low-carb, and stopped eating rice. Still have four of the bags in the basement. Last I checked, they looked fine. (Still brick-hard, which indicates that they've not leaked.)

I've not tried this, ship-board, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I'd think it'd be easier to find places to stow these flat pack mylar bags than round plastic bottles.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:17   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is so hard to keep a balanced perspective! To me, weevils are icky! However, I really don't think eating them would do you any harm, sailors used to eat weevily biscuit, and I purely cannot imagine them picking out the bugs!

I have used (though prefer to discard) weevily flour, by putting the flour through the sieve, and discarding the weevils left behind overboard. My thinking was that bread bakes about 50 min at 350 deg. F (175 C), and that should adequately sterilize the product. We bought flour out of a barrel in the Solomon Is., and were glad to get it. However, it did have a bug problem, and we still wanted bread.

When I lived in the US and had a freezer, I used to freeze my flour for a week or so before storing it in the pantry, and i did not have weevils in it when I used it. For long term storage while cruising, I bought large plastic sealing tubs that will accept 6 2 kilo bags of flour (for Americans, that's a little smaller than a 5 lb. sack.)
Old 16-01-2016, 12:28   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
We stored rice and beans in 5 gallon paint buckets with sealing lids(Lowes, etc). Used When we tried plastic soda bottles we discovered the plastic imparted tastes to whatever they held and disintegrated overtime, even in dark storage. Beware of polycarb bottles. Lots of issues on that one.
It's best to use food grade buckets for this type of storage, as there are definitely differences between types. Also, there are liners specifically made for food storage buckets as well. Mylar, & some other materials.

I don't recall the exact differences between the bucket types. But it most likely has to do with the chemical makeup of the plastic used in them. And how much they outgas into what's stored in them. As well as what's present in this outgassing (the chemical makeup there of).
Because some of those kinds of chemicals can be toxic, when consumed over time.

Places which sell these types of things to folks who buy food in bulk, are typically up to speed on such things. And even have some/most of the info on their websites.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage