Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-11-2014, 07:45   #1

Boat: Najad 373
Pressure Cooking - Advice Please

Hi,

We are in the middle of our circum navigation planning, and realize that there is no McD in the middle of the Deep Blue.

We are considering Pressure cooking and need some advice:
-Which brands to consider?
-The "process" around Pressure cooking?
-Tips and Tricks with Pressure cooker, some funny och good tricks?

Thanks,
Jonas
Segelplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 07:55   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Pressure cooking advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segelplaner View Post
Hi,

We are in the middle of our circum navigation planning, and realize that there is no McD in the middle of the Deep Blue.

Thanks,
Jonas
Do a web search on pressure cookers and pressure cooking.
Old 30-11-2014, 08:04   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segelplaner View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Jonas
Despite never having used a pressure cooker as a dirt dweller, I am now a huge fan of pressure cookers .

Regarding tips:
I use mine almost exclusively as a "slow cooker". Once it has come to pressure I simply turn it off and leave the contents to sit anything from a quarter of an hour (eg potatoes) to an hour or two (casseroles, beans, soups, chicken stock). This saves gas, minimises heating of the interior, and produces great flavours. Next to no steam is produced, which is a huge bonus if you have no extractor fan in the galley.

Regarding brands:
With horror tales of pressure cookers exploding and contents plastering the roof, I went for an expensive cooker (German made Fissler) and after seven years of use I've decided it was not just worth every penny, but a bargain. It looks and functions as new and I bet will outlive me .

In use during a passage with the stove gimballed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	92584  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 08:05   #4

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

We are by no means pressure cooker experts as we have been learning to use one at home in preparation for cruising.

The top brands appear to be Fissler and Fagor

We have 2 Fisslers one large and one smaller one. The smaller one seems most appropriate for a boat as it will take up less space, heats more quickly, and won't prepare too much food. The smaller Fissler also does double duty as a frying pan. They are heavy and appear to be well made.

The two advantages to pressure cooking are shorter cooking times and better flavor. For example a corned beef brisket can be cooked in about an hour in a PC but takes 2 or more hours on the stove. Flavor in the PC cooked beef is better.

Cooking dried beans is also faster than soaking and then simmering for a couple of hours. An hour or so in the PC and their done. So there is a fuel savings.

There is little advantage to shorter cooking foods, such as white rice, the advantage comes when cooking foods that take longer, the cooking time is shortened and thus there is fuel savings.

Lorna Sass's book Cooking Under Pressure is the classic one for pressure cooking. It includes both vegetarian and non vegetarian meals. I do find her cooking times for beans to be a little short.

Pressure cookers work because at a higher pressure you can get steam to a higher temperature above 100* C so food cooks faster.

Hope this helps.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 08:16   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
We are by no means pressure cooker experts as we have been learning to use one at home in preparation for cruising.

The top brands appear to be Fissler and Fagor

We have 2 Fisslers one large and one smaller one. The smaller one seems most appropriate for a boat as it will take up less space, heats more quickly, and won't prepare too much food. The smaller Fissler also does double duty as a frying pan. They are heavy and appear to be well made.

The two advantages to pressure cooking are shorter cooking times and better flavor. For example a corned beef brisket can be cooked in about an hour in a PC but takes 2 or more hours on the stove. Flavor in the PC cooked beef is better.
We posted almost simultaneously .
I am a big fan of Fissler cookware as well.
My pressure cooker is the 3 litre version. It serves double duty as a frypan (handy as contents can't spill or splatter out), as well as being used anytime a large pot is needed.

With all the time in the world while cruising, I have never used it other than a slow cooker though. Once brought to pressure there is nothing that will not cook simply by turing off the heat and letting it sit. It very cold weather it would help to wrap it in a towel or blanket to help insulate it if a long cooking time is needed.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 08:23   #6

I own a large Kuhn Rikon and two smaller Fagors. The Kuhn Rikon is my favorite. Almost everything that is cooked on stovetop is done in the pressure cookers. I can make delicious soups in a half hour. Taste like they cooked all day. Fresh vegetables are cooked at lightening speed. Pressure cookers are scary at first but in short order they become simple. If I was going to buy another it would be another Kuhn Rikon. They are beautiful and their stainless steel resists tarnishing.
Old 30-11-2014, 11:18   #7

Boat: Najad 373

So much worth with answers from experienced users!
Many Thanks,
Jonas :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Segelplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 23:08   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While I admire all the fancy high priced cookware, we still use 40 year old Mirro pressure cookers, one 4 L, one 6 L. They are not shiny, they are not shown in Gourmet magazine, but they, dare I say it, work just like the expensive ones! You can still get gaskets and other spares for them, they nest pretty well together, and I am still content with them.

And they are frequently available in "op shops" the world over for a few bucks. Those often need a new gasket, and they are another few bucks.

But, they are not shiny.

Jim
Old 30-11-2014, 23:33   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But, they are not shiny.

Jim
Fagor seem shiny and cheap... win - win
Fagor Splendid Pressure Cooker - 6 Qt | 918060607

I'm in the market just now...I believe ALDI have quite good ones in stock occasionally for about $50 Australian
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jonas.

Everything you could ever want/need to know, about pressure cooking:
Pressure Cooker Recipes

Including
Tips on Buying a Pressure Cooker

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:17   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

We have a relative who swears by her electric pressure cooker. Yes, I read the link that Gord posted, which gives several reasons to avoid them. But...

I have an electric stove anyway. We'd be cooking mostly for 2, so the smaller size is exactly what we want, along with the smaller draw. We could in theory run it off the inverter underway, have dinner ready when we arrive at the anchorage, and never have to start the noisemaker.

Am I way off base here?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52   #12

Is that copper one, the Fissler 6 qt vitacooker?

Land fall gourmand chef, 4 now.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20   #13

Boat: Mariner 31 ketch (in Mexico)

Another great thing about pressure cookers - the lid locks, so even if the pot is thrown off the stove (only happened to us once, admittedly), your food doesn't end up all over the cabin. And they're heavy enough to bake bread in on top of the stove.
We were given an aged aluminium Presto pressure cooker in 1983. Used it for the 19 years we lived aboard, and still use it to cook beans here in NZ.
We just bought a Mariner 31 ketch in Mexico, and my first request was for a pressure cooker - stainless this time.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Do a web search on pressure cookers and pressure cooking.
And you can do a search on this very forum and read for weeks, there have been hundreds of posts on the subject. With great links, start bookmarking them.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:09   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I grew up with them but we haven't had one in my married life (over 30 yrs), once under pressure you can't remove the lid, it's locked. All the ones I've been around had a weight that controlled the pressure and a little rubber plug that popped up when the thing was under pressure and sat flat when there was no pressure, pretty fool proof if you understand the principle

Now that I said that we had a maid that worked for us when I was little that managed to get the lid off with it under pressure, and made an enormous mess doing so.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, lease