Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2012, 18:03   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
new to pressure cooking

Just had a garage sale and got enough to purchase pressure cooker set. Will be here in 3-5 days.
3 years to retirement and figure it will be easier to learn to cook with these on land so will be ready when we move to the boat.
Anyone have any good recipes to first try?

Stuck in indiana and doing anything I can to work toward the goal.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 18:04   #2

Re: new to pressure cooking

Ordered Fagor Duo - will have 4 qt., 6qt. and 8qt.
Old 24-06-2012, 18:37   #3

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
I just joined a facebook group to learn how to use my pressure cooker - you can read about the group here:

http://www.therebelheart.com/charlot...challenge.html

If you're not on facebook, look here: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 03:57   #4

Jane:

thank you! My husband and I will both do that. Just glanced at the site this morning and will look more at the site on my lunch break later.

Cheryl
Old 27-06-2012, 16:05   #5

Boat: Pearson 367
Hopefully you will enjoy your pressure cooker. I posted a question a few months ago looking for recommendations on size cooker to purchase for a cursing couple. I ended up getting the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic 6 quart. I have not yet tried canning anything in it; but was advised that was the best size to allow that option.

Here's a recipe I cooked up the other night in about an hour and a half.

2 generous sized. Lamb shanks
1 1/2 cups flour seasoned with salt pepper and dried basil - for dredging the lamb
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 clove pressed garlic (or more to taste)
2 T olive oil
1/2 cup red wine
2 cups vegetable stock
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste

Remove the trivet from the cooker. Add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Once hot add the lamb shanks and brown on all sides. Should take about five minutes. Once browned, remove the shanks to a platter. Add the chopped onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Sauté until the onions are soft. Again about five minutes. Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Remove vegetables and wine from pot. Insert the trivet and add the lamb shanks, vegetables and wine. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and vegetable stock. Cover and cook for one hour. On the Kuhn Rikon I cooked at the second red ring. I served with polenta.
SailorTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 17:45   #6

Cooked my first meal with the pressure cooker -- pork chops, potatoes and onions.
Turned out pretty good.

Will try something else this weekend and will try to bake this weekend with it. going to try the lamb after I pick them up this weekend. Thank you for the recipe.

Now Bob says I have to learn to can so we can put up the fish we catch. Hopefully that isn't hard to do as I never thought I would want to can.
Old 28-06-2012, 19:08   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Fish is easy !! fish salt and some olive oil, put in jars and clean the edge of the jar put lid and screw band on snugly! stack in pressure cooker and cook as long as the books say !! dont let anyone tell ya to bake tuna before ya can it !! just do as above and cook for 45 mins total and let jars cool and ck later for seal we have never had any problem in over 29 yrs of canning at sea !!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13   #8

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

I am new to the pressure cooker as well but I loving my pressure cooker aboard. I would reiterate that the website for hip pressure cooking is great. I love their hard cooked egg tip. I have experimented with some of our families favourite homemade soup recipes and beefed them up to make stews by adding rice, grains, etc. You get the delicious soup flavour with the heartiness that the rice and grains add. I love pinto beans in the pressure cooker. Just add a bag of beans, double the water, an onion, some garlic, and some bacon, pork, or beef ends if you have it in your freezer. When the beans are soft, blend them with a stick blender and add cheddar cheese. This is a delicious meal to wrap in tortillas, serve with rice, make into burritos or enchiladas, etc. The leftovers freeze really well.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:19   #9

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

I thought of one more favourite...turn a piece of a pork tenderloin into pulled pork. Just put the tenderloin in the bottom of the pressure cooker, cover with a low sodium broth, add onion and garlic, and cook. You will need to get the times based on the size of your meat. I usually go with 1/3 of the oven time works well as a start point. When the pork pulls apart easily, drain the broth off. Mix in your favourite BBQ sauce, molasses, soya sauce, etc. Spoon onto ciabatta buns and serve with potato salad or coleslaw.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30   #10

Well, my second try was a disaster, meat was really tough. husband wasn't real happy. Going to try the recipe sailor trish recommended above and see if that works better. I'm doing something wrong and then the pulled pork SV Maclas has listed next week.

Well, this was the reason I wanted to start early. On shore if I mess up too bad, can just get a frozen meal out of the freezer and zap it. No harm done. On the boat, won't have that backup.

Thank you guys.

cheryl
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We have been cruising two years through the Pacific side of Mexico and Central America. Besides the coffee pot, the pressure cooker is the most important item in the galley!

Here ia a great book on pressure cooking with some wonderful receipies...

Pressure Perfect

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if meat is tough, just cook it longer. sometimes 15 minutes under pressure isnt long enough for tougher cuts...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
husband wasn't real happy. l
It takes awhile to learn the pressure cooker. Tell hubby to chill and be happy that you are trying to learn a new skill.

I've been working on meats and started with salmon since it is okay to eat if undercooked. Hip Pressure Cooking's cooking time chart says 5-6 minutes for salmon so I started at 5 minutes and it was underdone. The next time around I did 6 minutes and it was FLAWLESS.

Maybe wait on cooking meat until you have gained confidence in your skills. It is a new way to learn how to cook!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 13:12   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Is the hip pressure cooking site working for anyone else? It just shows a GoDaddy logo and says the domain is free
Old 07-10-2012, 13:13   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

I follow her on Facebook and she just posted that the site is wonky right now. Should be fixed shortly.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking