Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 04:32   #91

Boat: Leopard 40
Ok. Quick question. There are several recipes calling for "chilis" here. Since there are so many varieties, does it mean to use the variety of choice depending on the type of heat you prefer? We lean towards more spicy hot like jalapeno or habanero. And if not fresh, do canned "green chilies" suffice? I am going to need a little spice to cover up the flavor of this bat that bobconnie suggested...
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 04:49   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Ok. Quick question. There are several recipes calling for "chilis" here. Since there are so many varieties, does it mean to use the variety of choice depending on the type of heat you prefer? We lean towards more spicy hot like jalapeno or habanero. And if not fresh, do canned "green chilies" suffice? I am going to need a little spice to cover up the flavor of this bat that bobconnie suggested...
LOL, I have tried a few odd things, but bat has never been one of them. For bat recipes I suggest Naga Viper chillies sound like they may be enough to distract you from the bat :

"Cultivated in Cumbria, England, by chilli farmer Gerald Fowler, the Naga Viper is a three-way cross between the Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, and Trinidad Scorpion varieties, which also gave rise to the Butch T. "It doesn't get you instantly but the fire will burn for an hour and sit in your belly," Gerald told British newspaper The Independent. "Then your stomach will hurt for the rest of the day." He credited Cumbria's wet weather with creating such a scorching chilli."

Yes, use the variety of choice and quantity "depending on the type of heat you prefer" .

I generally taste a tiny amount of raw chilli before deciding how much to use and whether or not to include the seeds (they are generally more potent than the flesh).

If I have no fresh or preserved chillies I use chilli flakes (whole ones very roughly ground up).

I have never used canned ones, but I have preserved my own very simply by halving small habaneros, removing the seeds, popping them in a glass jar and covering them in alcohol (eg brandy). The liquid takes on the heat and flavour and I use this in recipes, the chopped chillies are then used mainly to give a touch of bright red to the dish.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 05:03   #93

Quote:
Personally I like the really hot chilis like "birds eye" or scotchbonnets but I have found that ground chili powder will last for months if kept in a sealed jar and it is just a matter of finding a decent supplier. It is usually very inexpensive.

Like Seaworthy Lass I also use really hot chilis to make my own "cooking liquids". In my case I take four or five really hot birdseye chilis, four or five cloves of garlic and chop them medium coarse and place then in a small pot. I then cover them with 100-150ml of oil and heat gently until they sizzle/simmer. I then turn the heat down and leave to cool.

When cold, pour into a clean, dry bottle using a fine sieve to remove the chili and garlic pulp. You should have a clear or slightly cloudy oil that will add a real zing to your cooking. I like it especially for frying rice in with finely chopped red and yellow peppers.

I hope that helps.
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 05:33   #94

Boat: a sailing boat

Olive oil in bakery is a regular feature in e.g. Spain. This makes their bakery completely inedible (to me). I am in the butter territory (100% fat, no remourses).

Always willing to try other things and see if they work for me though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:12   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
Personally I like the really hot chilis like "birds eye" or scotchbonnets but I have found that ground chili powder will last for months if kept in a sealed jar and it is just a matter of finding a decent supplier. It is usually very inexpensive. Like Seaworthy Lass I also use really hot chilis to make my own "cooking liquids". In my case I take four or five really hot birdseye chilis, four or five cloves of garlic and chop them medium coarse and place then in a small pot. I then cover them with 100-150ml of oil and heat gently until they sizzle/simmer. I then turn the heat down and leave to cool. When cold, pour into a clean, dry bottle using a fine sieve to remove the chili and garlic pulp. You should have a clear or slightly cloudy oil that will add a real zing to your cooking. I like it especially for frying rice in with finely chopped red and yellow peppers. I hope that helps.
Excellent, thanks! Flavored oils sound great and easy to make. I also have some powders and flakes to use. I am going to try your Tomato soup recipe with some heat. I have been forever trying to recreate a tomato chipotle soup they used to serve at the university I attended. I wish now I had requested the recipe.
Old 27-10-2013, 07:05   #96

Quote:
Excellent, thanks! Flavored oils sound great and easy to make. I also have some powders and flakes to use.
You're welcome. I find that dried spices and flavoured oil can really make a difference to just about any ingredients and transform the plain into the delicious.

Quote:
I am going to try your Tomato soup recipe with some heat. I have been forever trying to recreate a tomato chipotle soup they used to serve at the university I attended. I wish now I had requested the recipe.
I hope you enjoy it and (if Seaworthy Lass is not looking) you can use any leftover tomato soup and mix with leftover beef and gravy (or a beef stock cube), add 1 tsp garam masla, some chilis and a sprinkle of fresh coriander for a very nice Mulligatawny soup.
Old 27-10-2013, 20:37   #97

Quote:
I really appreciate the recipes and thank you for including pictures! It fills my recipe app nicely.
May I ask what recipe app you use?

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 21:54   #98

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There is no ife without Peppers!! Hot but not killer!! we use a lot of Habenaros, and Halapenos in our cooking, also get a lot of free dry peppers of the type they make Tabasco from down here! Theres just no gumbo or soup thats really good without peppers! Even eggs are better with peppers! Any bean recipe is better with peppers! And can ya even imagine a chile without peppers?? There good for your health to !! Nothing like a good sweat LOL We look forward to farmers markets anywhere, they almost always have dryed peppers for cheap! I eat peppers everyday ! I think thats why Im still haul and hardy at 75 !!
Old 27-10-2013, 21:57   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

More like Laurel and Hardy.

Coops.
Old 27-10-2013, 22:28   #100

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Coops, Do we have a problem ?? Let me know OK ?
Old 27-10-2013, 22:32   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestle View Post
May I ask what recipe app you use? Jeff
I am using one called "Recipe Box to Go" I found in the Apple store ( I have an iphone). It is pretty good but was easier to use before the iOS 7 release. I read there is a version for ipad that is even better.
Old 27-10-2013, 23:36   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post

Not at all Bob, just playin' with words man. We are both carnivores, how can we have a problem? We should band together to protect the cheeseburger.

Coops.
Old 28-10-2013, 01:51   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
I hope you enjoy it and (if Seaworthy Lass is not looking) you can use any leftover tomato soup and mix with leftover beef and gravy (or a beef stock cube), add 1 tsp garam masla, some chilis and a sprinkle of fresh coriander for a very nice Mulligatawny soup.
Hey, if I can handle comments on this thread about eating seals and bats and beavers and cougar, I can cope with a beef stock cube or two .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
No bloodshed on a vegan thread please

Old 28-10-2013, 01:55   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Brownies

Brownies are not an Aussie thing (we grow up so tough because we are fed on vegemite LOL), but as I believe chocolate is the sixth food group and I have someone on board who is very happy to be a test subject for any anything containing choc, I have experimented with making brownies since I started cruising and have come up with a rich fudgy vegan boat version that I can still make when we have run out of eggs.

If you have no bananas or if you are superstitious, then use stewed apples or even pureed tinned peaches instead .

SWL's BROWNIES

1/2 cup cocoa powder (85% if you can find it, otherwise at least 70%)
Shot of espresso (or a teaspoon of instant coffee) and enough boiling water to make about 1/3 cup coffee

1/2 cup mashed banana (seems to substitute reasonably for egg)
1/4 cup oil (I use EV olive oil for everything on board)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

1 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix cocoa and coffee to make a thick sauce like consistency.
Whisk in the the mashed banana, then the oil, sugar and vanilla.
Stir in the nuts.
Sift together the flour and baking powder and soda (it needs to be well mixed and lump free, so don't skip this step).
Gently fold the flour into the liquid mix (it will be thicker than cake consistency).
Tip in an oiled silicone cake pan and pat down.
Sprinkle with an extra tablespoon of sugar to give crunch to the top.
Bake at 175 C for about 15-20 min (centre should be a little underdone when tested, the key is not to overcook it).
Cool in pan 10-20 minutes.

Best eaten still warm. It is hard to resist it anyway, I usually have a spoonful or two from the edge while it is cooling .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	69433  

Old 28-10-2013, 03:12   #105

Re: Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Brownies are not an Aussie thing .... but as I believe chocolate is the sixth food group
I would not DARE to make them. Not chocolate. I will not buy chocolate because it calls to me... and I am weak....

Now - my lemon drizzle cake might work here - although it does need eggs and I have already been naughty with the beef stock cubes!