Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32   #16

Re: Misc. Galley Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I have a handful of galley questions (just for reference, we are shopping for a catamaran) :

3. I'm planning on using Melamine dinnerware, however, at the end of the day, they are still plastic. I don't like eating off of plastic, and I don't like how cheap they look. I also tend to be a bit more formal, and despite the casual atmosphere of cruising... I want to set a beautiful table. I found a company, "Q Squared" that makes high quality Melamine. They "say" that they are much heavier, and look and feel like porcelain or ceramic. Does anyone have any experience with these?

If I think of anymore questions, I'll add them later.
These are beautiful and offer the warmth of wood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=wood plates.jpg Views: 142 Size: 5.2 KB ID: 158716" style="margin: 2px" />

https://www.amazon.com/Acacia-Wood-S...n%3A9298982011

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:10   #17

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I have a 12" cast iron skillet and an enamel/cast iron dutch oven that see daily use. The skillet is fine - a quick oil and heat after use and no rust. Just be aware that when you're traveling the weight of these pots seems so much heavier. We're on a mono, so maybe you won't have the same balance/weight of pan issues.

Also, candles...um, I just threw all mine out. I almost always have a small candle burning on the galley table. Just yesterday I was doing my NY Times crossword book and smelled something funny. The top of the book was resting on the candle and was smoldering pretty good there. I thought no one would notice under the smoke alarm went off and my dock neighbors all came rushing down asking if they should call 911.

I have to sign off now - going into to town to buy the battery operated candles
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:54   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

I have the Magna nesting pot set. I really like it as it saves space when stowing, and the detachable handle is great on small stoves. Also, they have thick 1/4" plates on the bottom so distribute and hold head reasonably well. They are good quality stainless and pretty bullet proof.

I used to have a collection of antique Griswold cast iron pans. Gave all them to my daughters when I moved aboard for the simple fact I was not likely to be using them to their best advantage without a powerful vent fan. Also maintenance was an issue. Simpler is better on a boat. Despite being someone who loves cooking, I don't miss them all that much.

For plates take a look at Corelle ware. It's tempered glass, very durable, available in lots of different patterns. Downside is that if a plate does ever shatter, it shatters into a bajillion sliver shards. An absolute nightmare. That said they are super durable and much more shatter resistant than regular ceramic plates.

I also have a set of "dressy" dinner plates that I haul out on occasion.

For passage making the Galleyware "bowl plates" are unbeatable. Essentially a melamine salad sized plate with a flared 1-1/2" lip around the edge and a rubberized bottom. You can eat anything out of it, it's hard to spill and it stays put.

Some herbs will grow better than others. Rosemary will go wild on a boat, and thyme is pretty durable was well. Others that are more finicky, like tarragon, may not fare as well. Give it a shot.

Candles. Be careful! Fire on a boat is just about the worst crisis you can have. Boat can be engulfed in minutes. I would say make sure you only have them lit in the cabin where you are, and police putting them out and generally minding them. I do have votive candles on my boat, but I'm super careful with them. I also have some of those battery operated votives that have gotten so realistic that they are hard to tell from normal candles.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 13:24   #19

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

PS: One of these days I might break down and get a set of square plates. Somehow I just like them and they bring the food closer to the edge of the table.
I want square, too!!!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 15:50   #20

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
I want square, too!!!!
I have square white Corelle for everyday. I highly recommend them.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:29   #21

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Misc. Galley Questions

Quote:
I have a handful of galley questions (just for reference, we are shopping for a catamaran) :

1. I love cast iron pans, and I plan on using them to cook on board. However, even though I take excellent care of mine, I'm worried that despite complete drying and oiling, they will rust in the ocean air. Anyone use cast iron on their boats? and how do they hold up?

2. I'm also looking at nesting pots and pans.. (Magma or Galleyware). Anyone use the ceramic/nonstick ones? I'd like some feedback on them. Also, I've heard there are problems with the detachable handles melting... any feedback on those?

3. I'm planning on using Melamine dinnerware, however, at the end of the day, they are still plastic. I don't like eating off of plastic, and I don't like how cheap they look. I also tend to be a bit more formal, and despite the casual atmosphere of cruising... I want to set a beautiful table. I found a company, "Q Squared" that makes high quality Melamine. They "say" that they are much heavier, and look and feel like porcelain or ceramic. Does anyone have any experience with these?

4. I like to use fresh herbs, and would like to grow some in pots in the galley. Anyone do this? and how well do they grow in the saltwater air?

5. Is there such a thing as "burning candles safely" on a boat? I like the atmosphere they create, and the citronella ones are fantastic at keeping away bugs. I've seen some hanging "lanterns" that you can burn candles in. Do you think this would make them safe enough to burn aboard? or maybe nesting them in a pot with decorative stone? or any other options? or, are candles just a "no go"?

6. Can someone recommend a great blender for making frozen drinks?

If I think of anymore questions, I'll add them later.

Admittedly... I am a trimariner, so weight and solar generated energy conservation matters, but I did live aboard for 15 years, with no home base.

All of your desires make little sense on a boat! Trying to live like you did on shore will not work, IMO...

You need to conserve water, and will be washing those pots in salt water with a salt water foot pump, and a small final fresh water rense.

I suggest a good quality set of SS or better... Teflon coated cookware, some will nest a bit, and share clear glass lids for seeing inside.

I would use BOAT plastic plates with non skid silicone rings on the bottom.

I have never seen anyone growing herbs. Aloe yes, sprouts too, but that’s all.

Forget candles. A hanging brass ships lantern over the galley table is nice.

There are 12V blenders out there too. Look at the Defender or WEST Marine web sites. This allowed you to avoid inverter use at all cost.

Best of luck, Mark JohnsonClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	158728
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	158727  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:52   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Nothing wrong with inverters, if you have plenty of solar, a big battery bank (preferrably Lithium) and eventually a wind generator.

Then you do not mind fresh water (water maker running on 12V or inverter) nor hot water (water heater on inverter), they will be just there, also all kind of household appliances can be used on board easily. On a catamaran there is a lot of space for a decent solar array aft.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:00   #23

Boat: O'Day 40

1. We use 2 sizes of Lodge cast iron pans and a griddle. Look after them, clean with salt and oil, store them in the oven.
2. Magma are well made and pour well. The only downside is that they don't have a small pot suitable for heating sauces or making a mug of hot chocolate, so we added 1 good quality smaller pot. We have a couple of extra lids so 3 can be used at once. We stay away from non-stick because it eventually breaks down. The Magma stainless have proven easy to clean and maintain.
3. The Corelle are great for every day use, we have a square set with a simple pattern and added square plain white bread & butter sized one since the Corelle plates seem to be "super-sized". We have enough of our good stoneware aboard for entertaining but rarely bother.
4. No different than on shore.
5. We used candles a lot but have changed to the LED versions.
Automatically come on in the evening and turn themselves off - maintenance free and way safer.
6. We tried a hand cranked blender from MEC. Decided that was a compromise we weren't prepared to make and bought an inverter. Found a slim Cuisinart blender that fits the galley storage.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:35   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I have square white Corelle for everyday. I highly recommend them.
That's what it will be. Every time I pass them in the store I'm tempted.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:15   #25

I'm thinking about Mark Johnson's comments.

"All of your desires make little sense on a boat! Trying to live like you did on shore will not work"

I know that you can't live exactly like you do on land, and I would say that is exactly the point. We want a change. But, shouldn't there be some luxuries, traditions, habits that you take with you? I like to cook, and whilst I'm not big into "gadgets".. I do like good basic tools. I like to use some fresh herbs... and have a nice romantic dinner with my husband, with a beautiful setting, and a glass of wine. and what would a caribbean sunset be without a frozen drink?

I know space is limited on a boat.. so, I know I will only be able to bring a few things. Just trying to figure out if I can bring some of those more luxurious traditions with me. What do you all think?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47   #26

Quote:

"All of your desires make little sense on a boat! Trying to live like you did on shore will not work"
>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
I know that you can't live exactly like you do on land, space is limited on a boat.. so, I know I will only be able to bring a few things. Just trying to figure out if I can bring some of those more luxurious traditions with me. What do you all think?
Not so much space, traditions or luxuries, at all.

1. You have to eat right?
2. You like to eat if you can prepare it the way YOU like it.
3. You NEED pots & pans to do so.
4. You NEED plates to eat from.

So, why not get what you are used to and what you like?

Mark is not "wrong," just has a different perspective, re: weight and water.

Candles: a friend gave me one of those anchor candle holders. Works just fine. If you're in a rolly anchorage, the don't, common sense... Candles are nice on a boat, and we have a trawler lamp, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:54   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

I know that you can't live exactly like you do on land, and I would say that is exactly the point. We want a change. But, shouldn't there be some luxuries, traditions, habits that you take with you? I like to cook, and whilst I'm not big into "gadgets".. I do like good basic tools. I like to use some fresh herbs... and have a nice romantic dinner with my husband, with a beautiful setting, and a glass of wine. and what would a caribbean sunset be without a frozen drink?

I know space is limited on a boat.. so, I know I will only be able to bring a few things. Just trying to figure out if I can bring some of those more luxurious traditions with me. What do you all think?
We are not all alike and our boats or boating use are not all alike. Just because someone else says you can't do something doesn't make it so for you (in most cases).

Mark Johnson says you will be washing your pans in salt water. We have never done this. He says you can't grow herbs. Well, you can if you want to go to the trouble.

Whatever you want to do, think about it yourself. If it seems practical, try it. You will find out if it works for you.

Note: I'm not talking about safety issues here like plumbing or electrical, I'm talking about what you are asking about.

Also, candles would bother me on a boat but I've seen artificial candles (LEDs) that look very realistic. I had to look close enough to see the switch on the bottom.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Also, candles would bother me on a boat but I've seen artificial candles (LEDs) that look very realistic. I had to look close enough to see the switch on the bottom.
I'm going to have to look for those.. I've seen several people recommend them. It sounds like a great option!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:30   #29

Boat: J/42

One note on the nesting pots - unless you are cooking for six, they (Magma) seem to be too large for me, and mostly waste space on board. The most expensive set has some smaller sizes, but they are almost impossible to order individually. On the other hand, I do sometimes find that using oversized pans when cooking underway can help keep things contained...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:42   #30

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
One note on the nesting pots - unless you are cooking for six, they (Magma) seem to be too large for me, and mostly waste space on board. The most expensive set has some smaller sizes, but they are almost impossible to order individually. On the other hand, I do sometimes find that using oversized pans when cooking underway can help keep things contained...

And in some cases, the bigger pieces (5-qt stockpot, for example) are useful for purposely making enough for several days' worth of leftovers. FWIW, we make chili and spaghetti sauce and so forth in big batches, and then freeze the remainder in smaller serving sizes.

-Chris

Tags
galley