Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 07:29   #61

Re: French Press coffee pot recommendation

French press was too messy. I too tried coffee singles or even instant then found a percolator at a thriftstore. works great.
ArmadilloIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32   #62

After breaking two I opted for a stainless one, Secura Model#SFP-34DS. It comes with replacement screens and is double walled. Only problem, it's a higher capacity (1000ML/34oz) than you require.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:50   #63

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

Like all Starbucks products, it is overpriced and not worth the money.

I have a stainless one.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:51   #64

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Bodum makes a stainless steel French press with non-skid on the bottom.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:52   #65

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Are you really enamored of a French Press? The water consumption for clean-up is pretty significant on a boat.
Cleaning the French Press is a mess if you do it in the sink.

I rinse my all stainless French Press at the stern of the boat in the ocean. After that I use the sponge and fresh water at the sink for a final cleaning. Very easy to do.

The Clever Dripper looks very interesting, but I cannot imagine using it during a crossing. Also, storing all the dirty paper filters can become a problem. I guess you can empty the dirty filters first, but it is still extra trash.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:53   #66

We switched over to the Oxo Good Grips Pour Over Coffee Maker. It drips right into the mug for easy cleanup and it's all plastic and doesn't take up much storage room. My husband likes a good strong cup while I prefer a mild brew so this works best for us.
penaltybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:30   #67

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Cleaning the French Press is a mess if you do it in the sink.

I rinse my all stainless French Press at the stern of the boat in the ocean. After that I use the sponge and fresh water at the sink for a final cleaning. Very easy to do.

The Clever Dripper looks very interesting, but I cannot imagine using it during a crossing. Also, storing all the dirty paper filters can become a problem. I guess you can empty the dirty filters first, but it is still extra trash.

So offshore you hook up PFD/harness/tether and hang off the back of the boat to clean your French Press at 6, 7, 8 kts? Do you tie all the bits to the boat or to yourself? Jeepers.

French press simply doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm stupid. I don't get it.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:53   #68

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Loved our coffee press on the boat. At anchor I washed it on the stern or underway just over the side with quick shot to clean out from the shower hose we always had hanging in the cockpit. In really bad weather I just put the grounds down the sink.

We broke two over the years, but they were cheap to replace and not hard to find. One was replaced in Martinique and the other was in NZ (or Oz??).

For a more robust version for our VW Westfalia (and future sailing) I'm looking at picking up one of these:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-5...nal-Java-Press

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-525/Java-Press-30-oz

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-5...ter-Java-Press
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07   #69
jlb

We use the older starbuck’s press when making coffee for 3 and use the aeropress when making coffee for 1 or 2. The aeropress is almost self cleaning.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:56   #70

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
So offshore you hook up PFD/harness/tether and hang off the back of the boat to clean your French Press at 6, 7, 8 kts? Do you tie all the bits to the boat or to yourself? Jeepers.

French press simply doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm stupid. I don't get it.
During passages, which is not the majority of the time, I just throw the grounds in the trash and then I rinse with fresh water. Much easier than hanging off the back of the boat...
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:16   #71

+1 for Bodum. I've been using it for 20 years and got rid of my drip coffee maker at home to use it full time. Best feature is the silicone screen which does not require disassembly like the stainless mesh strainers.
26N80W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59   #72
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
NISSAN makes a stainless steel/vacuum thermos, which i have, great product, at a reasonable cost.
We have two of these Thermos Nissan cafetières. One for home, one for the boat.

A useful addition for the boat are these filters: Caffi Paper Coffee Filters for 4 to 8 Cup French Press. Once you get used to them (you may waste one or two until you get the idea), they make cleaning up the coffee pot easier without too much water.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:20   #73

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Are you really enamored of a French Press? The water consumption for clean-up is pretty significant on a boat. I use a stainless steel percolator and Melitta perc filters. Good coffee, easy clean up.
If you use fresh water for clean up then that would be a con to the french press. We dunk ours in the sea so minimal water use just for a rinse.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:44   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

All you coffee snobs are going to howl, but besides being quite fragile the French coffee presses create quite a bit of wet coffee grounds. After cleaning up a couple of spills and finding coffee grounds in all corners of the galley, I switched to instant...

By the time I make a double dose and add milk and sweetener, it tastes pretty good to me.

I also find rice to be a problem when dried kernels are let loose. Takes years to find 'em all.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:51   #75

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Harbinger View Post
I can vouch for the Frieling Boom suggested I've had mine for a little over 2 years now and it looks almost as good now as when I got it, and I've not been too nice to it, it's been gear adrift in the cabin on average about once a month salt water rinse on the regular, far better than the 12v drip I experimented with and faster than the percolator, but without the aromatherapy.
Me too. I’ve had mine 12years and it’s still like new. We have 2 other sizes at home.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, men