Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 09:08   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Yes! Less mess french press coffee!

My electric coffee maker died recently. We arent living aboard yet but I thought now is a good time to transition to a manual coffee method. Certainly at this stage of life I've already tried it all. But Im not satisfied with most methods because they dont address my needs all at once.
I want to:
Make several cups of coffee at once so I can save some in a thermos for later and have my cup now.
Have a good strong cup!
No percolator coffee, I dont like it!
Easy clean up
NO disposable filters or plastic single cups
Use FINE coffee because I like the body and flavor better.

Anyway, I fially found a way to meet all of these needs. Ive added a "coffee sock" type bag to my french press! The bag keeps the grounds contained so you don't have to scrape grounds out if the pot. There is a huge water saviings because you dont have to rinse the pot over and over to get the gunk out.
I add the coffee to the bag and then put the plunger over the coffee in the bag. Add water to the pot and lest it seep as usual. Plunge as usual. Voila!
To clean up, remove the plunger from the bag, nock the plunger stem a bit to remove grounds, pull the bag of grounds out of the pot, give the bag a good squeeze to get rid of the extra water, then turn the sock inside out over the trash can.

This is so much easier than trying to knock the wet grounds out of the put. You dont have to use a strainer to drip off the extra water either.

I am using these bags and they fit my 8 cup press perfectly. I actually bought these to make cold brewed coffee, and they work well for that too.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Brew-Cof...old+coffee+bag

Edit: after writing this all out I realized I could simply use the coffee bag without the plunger... LOL
Old 19-06-2016, 09:44   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Yes! Less mess french press coffee!

Turkish coffee has no filters to clean, just the pot
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 09:50   #3

Boat: Catalina 387

Aeropress works well too, easy cleanup.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 10:02   #4

Boat: Ericson 35-2

+1 for Aeropress.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 11:22   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Got tired of wasting water cleaning the grounds out of the french press coffee pot so began leaning over the side and doing it in the ocean. Worked a treat till I nearly slid overboard and let go of the pot to grab hold of something. Back to doing it in the boat with a new pot. Might try the sock method. Mahalo for the tip.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 11:28   #6

I like gritty French press coffee. Never found a press big enough to make 10 cups of coffee though, and didn't find an all metal one for boat use either... yes cleaning is a bit of a chore at times. But I like not using filters etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 12:27   #7

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

You're kidding right? This is how I've been making coffee all my life, just as my parents and grand parents used to.
Vipe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 12:32   #8

I like the body of french press, grit and all. But I dont like cleaning the pot!

The largest pot in all metal I have found, for a decent price, is 8 cups. Well its a liter, thats 2 or 3 big mug fulls for one drinker. I dont have to share my pot though. Jim prefers perc coffee.

As for aeropress...its cute. Mine sits unused. Ill happily sell it some one interested. There are lots of paper filters for it and a permanent mesh filter too. I like the coffee but its no better than french press IMO. And, I prefer it full strength. 6 or 80z, whatever it is, is just not enough volume.
Old 19-06-2016, 14:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipe6 View Post
You're kidding right? This is how I've been making coffee all my life, just as my parents and grand parents used to.

Mmm... Im not sure your attitude is warented. No joke, my parents and grandparents used a percolator.
Old 19-06-2016, 14:19   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It is now on my Amazon wish list. BTW this is a good tip for the "handy stuff for pocket cruisers" thread!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 19:52   #11

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Two things. First, yes they do make an all metal french press. Double walled and with anti skid on the bottom. Cant remember the company right now but I got it on Amazon. Second, cleaning it out overboard is easy with a 10 ft. line with a snap shackle on the end. Just dip it overboard for a few seconds and its clean. Give it a quick rinse with fresh water and you are ready to make the next round.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 22:35   #12

Boat: Creala 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like gritty French press coffee. Never found a press big enough to make 10 cups of coffee though, and didn't find an all metal one for boat use either... yes cleaning is a bit of a chore at times. But I like not using filters etc.
An outfit called Bodum makes a model french press coffee maker in all stainless steel called the Columbia that comes in a 51 oz. version. They also had another model that is not listed anymore, I can't remember the name, that has a wide base for stability on a boat. I wss able to find a new one through Amazon.com. Mine is 34 oz., but I think there is a larger version of that one as well.
Donald Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 01:55   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
I have a one cup and about a four cup plunger type. If I need two cups I make the one cup extra strong and water it back in the cups same with the four cup.

I have an two electric pumps with a foot switch, one is connected to fresh water with the spigot on the left side of the sink, the other to sea water with the spigot on the right. The switch is a big rocker switch, put foot on left side - fresh water from left spigot, right side salt water from right spigot. I just wash the grounds down the sink.

When the plungers go black inside I soak them in a little bleach and rinse it off with sea water.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 03:04   #14

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Let me google that for you
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:06   #15

Boat: Amel 50

I use the Frieling 36 ounce french press coffee maker. It is all stainless with no plastic parts. I clean it in the ocean but I will look into the sock idea!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc