Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2009, 01:38   #76

The wife and I fill old mauby concentrate bottles with 'brown crack' (1 t. Nescafe, 1t. demerara sugar, 1T. powdered skimmed milk/cup) and store it in the fridge. Sounds terrible I know, but it tastes like frappuccino and doesn't require consumption/storage/disposal of a pile of tiny empty bottles. An hour of wakefulness in every cup.

That said, I'm with stevensc re: Community Coffee, only I like the Medium Roast. It's about as good tasting a cup of production-roasted coffee as you can get.
silvertongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 01:48   #77

Boat: Skookum 53'
I can drink community coffee, but I have to get the first cup as it is finished dripping. Once it has been on the burner for five minutes, she is too rank for me.
Old 13-06-2009, 05:44   #78

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
I don't think the implication is that drinking coffee with all the fun stuff is crap. I really enjoy the occasional cup with a big spoonful of dark brown sugar or those flavoured creamers.

But what I meant (and I think what the other guy meant) was that good coffee is good even without all that and if your coffee isn't enjoyable to drink just by istelf (ie doesn't need to be hidden in all that stuff like Starbucks) then it's crap coffee.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 06:32   #79

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Well, since this has morphed into all different directions about coffee I will share an experience.

I was a telco cable splicer, went on a diet, stopped coffee and went on the night shift for a big cable to cable cut around due to an old cable that was allowing water to leak in. The cable was filled with special high cap digital circuits feeding hospitals and so forth so we had to do the work after midnight so as to minimize disruption of service, even though each ciruit would be out less than 5 minutes.

Second night as we (splicer in other hole and I on headsets to coordinate which 25 pair group out of 3000 pair we were splicing at a time) were talking I stared cussing and coming out of my skin. Head ache, agitated and so forth. I threw down my headset, and started to get out of the manhole and go home, deserting my tools and splicer buddy, job and all. I stopped myself in a moment of sanity, halfway up the ladder I backed down, picked up the head set and told my buddy to give me a few minutes.

A block away there was an all night 711, they had really good coffee. I went there filled my big cup and had them brew me a fresh pot. I drank my cup and b4 the pot was brewed I leveled off, took my thermos went back to the hole and had a nice peaceful early am splicing session.

I had worked with my buddy for years and he could not imagine what was wrong until I told him about the caffine deprivation. I visioned myself as the iron man, my record was 36 hours on the job during a massive damage cables disaster so for a little old 2 hour into it job for me to go insane was wayyyy out of character.

I am addicted to coffee and cafine, I like it that way, and I will have a thermos placed in my coffin or grounds creamated with me. I gave up smoking 35 years ago, drinking 3 months ago, still have occasional sex and lots of coffee, I am now giving up giving up.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 16:48   #80

Boat: Coronado 25 (Don't tell her I'm shopping for an upgrade)
Because of the flavor extraction of whichever coffee you choose to throw in it, I'd probably stick with the french press even if simplicity, compactness, and price were irrelevant. Perfectly pulled espresso could sway me.... maybe. On the boat though... french press... no hesitation.

Though the mention of instant is typically followed by cries of heresy in coffee circles, I'd recommend Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso. That's what I pack when even a french press is too much. It also doubles as a great way to infuse just about anything with intense coffee flavor.
Old 15-07-2009, 17:58   #81

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
It's not practical on a sailboat, but when I'm on wilderness trips, I love cowboy coffee.

The ritual including whirling a pot of boiled coffee in circles including upside down to drive the grounds to the bottom always make crowd think it's special.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 18:00   #82

Try steeping coffee bags!

I like tea, iced or hot. The wife is spoiled with home roasted beans from around the world.
But when we sail, a cup of hot coffee is more challenging to make. It was the wife's suggestion to use coffee bags as a trial.

Coffee in a bag, I guess that would be caled a coffeebag, as is a teabag?

Folgers makes individual coffeebags that are steeped in hot water in the same fashion as my Red Rose teabags.

It is handy since the hot water for both tea and coffee can be made at the same time. The coffee bags are "real" coffee not the instant powder, and the longer you allow it to steep, the bolder it becomes.

Simplicity is a good thing! She says it is good brew, our occasional guests agree, and it smells great too.
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 01:06   #83

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Another coffee thread?? lol
Well as I said on the other threads, if you want strength and flavour, it has to be the perculator though cafetiere(french press) is easier to use, I find it doesn't give you the most from your beans and by the time the strength is good enough, its not hot anymore.
Old 16-07-2009, 03:22   #84

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
The French Press ....it's simple, fast. I use Dunkin Donuts original, ground.

The secret to Dunkin Donuts coffee for those that use cream...is light cream. It's Dunkins default additive.
Old 16-07-2009, 06:48   #85

I use a colador (sp?) which is a cloth cone shaped filter and bustelo or pilon. Colador costs about $1.25, makes great coffee. Am I the only colador user?
Old 16-07-2009, 07:15   #86

I think we call it a Chemex in the US.

It looks like an hourglass with the top cut off and you simply pour hot water over ground coffee in a paper cone filter.

Is it similar to this?

Old 16-07-2009, 08:10   #87

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I'll go for the Blue Mountain made with a french press. I do sometime select the French Espresso pot but the french press typically works best because my best cruising mate... well she loves her Tea in the AM and I also have a lot of UK friends and they are not man enough for coffee :^P and so we cook up a pot of hot water and everyone does their own thing. One actually drinks hot water with sugar and milk... as I said ... everyone does their own thing.

Blue Mountain is realllllly good.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:43   #88

drew.--nope! it is made of a soft cloth (tshirt type material) that is sewn around a round metal circle with a wooden handle. it is rinsed out and reused. I first saw it in costa rica where it was mounted on a wooden frame with a hole in it -- you put the colador thru the hole to hold it while you are pouring the water.

they sell these cloth filters in publix in miami/fort lauderdale, i dunno, maybe they're cuban?

they make great coffee, no excess garbage, no excess stuff, perfect for people who like it simple.
Old 16-07-2009, 11:07   #89

Oh is that what those things are for?

I used to see them in the super markets in Mexico sometimes. They look almost like a home made sieve or something.

Old 16-07-2009, 11:18   #90

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
my morning ritual Frappé coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia