Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 12:20   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Do you take the labels off your cans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk Barnett View Post
How does one dispose of empty cans these days? It sounds that heaving them overboard is no longer feasible.
I am lucky to have a big aft lazarette I don't use so I put my finish bags on a string and drop them in.

Only organics over the side these days

Re: Egg wars... Don't fret. All eggs come refrigerated nowadays and washed etc.
But they still last 30 days untreated, unrefrigerated. Just test it out at home. Buy a box and leave it in the window sill for a month then get 'em up.

While on eggs... many say that better quality and 'organic' eggs have a darker yellow or orange yolk. Sorry to disappoint but egg colour is adjusted by the farmer exactly by food additives. Google it. There's this egg colour chart. Lol

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 12:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

While on eggs... many say that better quality and 'organic' eggs have a darker yellow or orange yolk. Sorry to disappoint but egg colour is adjusted by the farmer exactly by food additives. Google it. There's this egg colour chart. Lol

Mark

This one i have to post on.

It's also true that healthy chickens produce the most orange/yellow yolks.

The healthiest chickens around, at my parents' house, are cage free, free range, roam the yard chickens. They eat ants, bugs, bits of whatever they find as they roam the large yard.

They produce stunningly beautiful yolks due to their healthy, not the feed color.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 12:44   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:

Not true in Europe.
Old 15-04-2016, 13:28   #34

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Not true in Europe.
Well .. not true in EU countries

When grocery shopping, you won't find any eggs in the cooled section; they're always at room (store) temperature.
Since it's illegal to sell washed eggs in the EU, there's no need to keep them in the fridge.

And agreed with cruisersfarm: I used to have some chicks roaming free in the back yard. Best. Eggs. Ever.
Now I know what real eggs taste like, I rarely eat the commercial ones.
Old 15-04-2016, 13:38   #35
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

We write the contents on the top of the can (label off or not) so we can see what it is without having to pull it out of the bilge storage.
Old 15-04-2016, 13:49   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Can assure you that cans stored on a boat will rust and labels turn to mush eventually. Just found two cans of something thoroughly rusted and contents mummified while cleaning out a seldom opened locker. If you are going to go places and want cans to last a year or more, remove the labels, mark with permanent marker, and varnish the cans. Did that on our cruise and the cans lasted for more than a year until finally consumed. Cans that weren't varnished began to rust in short order.

We also varnished eggs that we got direct from the chicken, actually from a poultry farm before they were refrigerated. Finally used up the last of them more than six months into the cruise in the Tuamotus. The eggs were still edible but but used for baking, not sunny side up.

Oh yes, Mayonnaise does not need refrigeration. Just be religious about introducing contaminants into the jar. Met one boat who were Mayo freaks and they had industrial sized Mayo containers that lasted 6 months or more without refrigeration. We bought smallish sized jars and and they lasted many months before being fully consumed.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 13:57   #37

Quote:
I am lucky to have a big aft lazarette I don't use so I put my finish bags on a string and drop them in.

Only organics over the side these days

But they still last 30 days untreated, unrefrigerated. Just test it out at home. Buy a box and leave it in the window sill for a month then get 'em up.

Mark

Your still a young guy Mark but back in the day the yolks were all the same yellow color because of the chicken feed (your right) but every now and then our chickens would get further away and start eating grass and the yolks would be almost orange. So yup the color is about what they are fed.

Your still a young guy Mark but back in the day the yolks were all the same yellow color because of the chicken feed (your right) but every now and then our chickens would get further away and start eating grass and the yolks would be almost orange. So yup the color is about what they are fed.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:04   #38

I once took a label off a mattress... but the Fed's showed up and I had to get a lawyer....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I once took a label off a mattress... but the Fed's showed up and I had to get a lawyer....
I hope you lose the case
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:49   #40

Boat: Outremer 50S

We have dry can storage, well out of the bilge, and labels eventually come off just from dampness. After all, a lot of the time we are running at close to 100% humidity with night condensation (even in the can locker). So, depends on how long you keep your cans (and, as Mark pointed out, whether or not the labels are paper).

Having said that, TetraPak is your friend No wasted space from round containers, don't roll around, we find the food items are frequently less processed, and they don't rust. Have never had any bug problems with them (with the cardboard box they come in, yes). So, wherever we can we load up on TetraPak rather than cans (of course, you have to accept the PET liner in comparison with whatever your cans are lined with).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:51   #41

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

SV Delos recently reprovisioned (big time) and took all the labels off, through out any cardboard / paper, because of weevils that repeatedly appear in those warm tropical climates.

I'm down below 41 degrees and I've had labels on cans and items in cardboard boxes for three years now and still no problem.

Most labels still seem to be paper, not plastic on cans. Plastic ones are on plastic or glass jars. Though the yanks call glass jars 'cans' too.

Don't ever put a can in a microwave, not if you value your microwave and boat

The insides of cans are coated with an exceptionally thin coating of a polymer so that the inside food does not rust the metal. But even so, I can't believe any responsible 'sailor' would throw rubbish overboard. Seriously

Eggs in Australia are not all washed. If buying fresh eggs the consumer recommendation is simply to wipe them with a 'dry' cloth. If you wash them, they won't last long. The dark orange yolk colour is indicative of what chickens are eating. This can be bugs, grass etc from being free range or it can be a colouring agent put into the food. As many examples have been shown, it's difficult to tell the difference in first world countries between free range and caged eggs due to the additives. (the 'egg' divergent was actually about cockroach eggs, not chicken eggs. If you read this whole thread it really reads quite funny about 'washing, free range, food additives in your cockroach eggs)
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 15:13   #42

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Used to be fun in 'the good old days' when a few labels had got damp and fallen off. Whats the mystery dinner tonight ?
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 15:27   #43

Boat: Outremer 50S

Yeah, that was called "can over rice" on our boat
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 15:44   #44

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
The darker color means the chicken has been eating more green plants, lighter yellow means more grains and mash.

Doesn't make much difference to the macronutrient ratios, they'll have about the same mix of fat and protein (though some say the darker yolks will have a higher omega 3/6 ratio.)

But it does matter to some micronutrients - K2 in particular. Chickens create K2 out of K1, and K1 is bound in the chloroplasts of green plants. If the chickens aren't eating green plants, k2 levels in the eggs will be insignificant.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 16:20   #45

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Planked hulls had moist bilges. Cans were usually marked and labels removed--often dipped in varnish-solvent solution and allowed to dry. Eggs were preserved in water-glass and potatos painted with lime wash.

Now we use plastic zip-sealed bags and bins for dry storage of flour and rice etc--or tupper-ware (microwave rice dry after bagging it in plastic, with a little water in a separate cup to stop the magnetron blowing, before leaving port. This will cook any weevil or moth eggs--who needs weevils?

I have two Engel refrigerators--one used as a freezer as required and the other as a refrigerator. These we use to keep meat short term and any fish we catch to avoid wastage. The solar panels run them. Mostly we get away with dried food and buy vegetables, or harvest wild ones where we find them, Sow thistles being a case in point--very common near beaches--chop fine, wash well all of the sap out of them and then steam or stir-fry. Then there are seaweeds--actually, it is a supermarket out there in some areas. A desert in others--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote