Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 04:32   #76

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Do you take the labels off your cans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
'canning' (the verb) where I live refers to putting things in steel cans.

Here we refer to the preserving of food in glass jars as 'Preserving' (the verb). The noun is called 'Preserves'. I, like most people my age gre up on 'preserves' and 'preserving'.

I'm of course referring to 'Australian English' which we call 'Aussie lingo'
LOL I grew up in the western US. "Preserves" here is term used exclusively for fruit "put up" at home. Some commercial manufacters borrowed the term for jars of jam.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 04:36   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This food preservation technique was called "conserves", not "canning" as it was a French invention for Napoleon's army. After mr. Weck started manufacturing the glass jars designed for doing this at home, many called it "Wecken" because the name "Weck" is on those jars (still made).

The English came up with the word "can" as slang for "canister", which explains a lot for the English speaking among us. You can have a glass canister as well as a metal one, but most don't realize the word "can" is slang for canister
Interesting. And now my food preservation container vocabulary is enriched. My jars will remain "cans" : )
Old 17-04-2016, 04:39   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This food preservation technique was called "conserves", not "canning" as it was a French invention for Napoleon's army. After mr. Weck started manufacturing the glass jars designed for doing this at home, many called it "Wecken" because the name "Weck" is on those jars (still made).

The English came up with the word "can" as slang for "canister", which explains a lot for the English speaking among us. You can have a glass canister as well as a metal one, but most don't realize the word "can" is slang for canister
Ah I was going to post something very similar.

This method (canning) of preserving food was invented in the late 18th century by Nicolas Appert in France in response to a call by Napoleon Bonaparte for a system of supplying French troops with preserved food that could both be easily transported overseas and actually eaten. Existing methods relied on drying, smoking, and/or salting the food. Appert’s invention used fragile glass bottles, however, and it was only with the substitution of durable tin cans by Peter Durand of England that the process really took off and led to a worldwide revolution in preserving food. The word “can", by the way, comes from the Latin “canna”, meaning “container”.

"Canning" refers to the actual process of heating/sealing the food. Independent of the containers. The rest as they say, is history.

I'm neither American, nor do I have a penchant for canning. [emoji14]
HughMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 04:40   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
"Some" of you yanks really have no idea of what a world view is do you? Culture?

'Reading' up on a dictionary definition has absolutely nothing to do with with the understanding in different places around the world. NOTHING!
A more enlightened statement would identify that there are members of all regions with a limited worldwide view.
Old 17-04-2016, 04:47   #80

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMcB View Post

"Canning" refers to the actual process of heating/sealing the food. Independent of the containers. The rest as they say, is history.

I'm neither American, nor do I have a penchant for canning. [emoji14]
No "canning" refers to different things in different places
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 04:52   #81

My mistake, I was under the impression you didn't care for local usages. Given you don't seem to care for the US usage.

But then again you don't seem to care about the etymology either. So I don't know where that leaves us.

I guess nowhere.
Old 17-04-2016, 05:00   #82

Boat: Wildcat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
While on eggs... many say that better quality and 'organic' eggs have a darker yellow or orange yolk. Sorry to disappoint but egg colour is adjusted by the farmer exactly by food additives. Google it. There's this egg colour chart. Lol
I can't say that doesn't exist, or that some farmers do that.

But if you buy your eggs from a small farmer, one who allows their chickens to roam, you will get a better egg. A natural fed chicken (no grains, just eats what it finds), will have a yolk that is deep orange.

Like with all foods, a trip to the farm where the food is originating will tell you a lot about the quality of the food you are getting. Small farmers who allow the animals to do what they do naturally will produce much higher quality than a factory farm.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 05:08   #83

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
My mistake, I was under the impression you didn't care for local usages. Given you don't seem to care for the US usage.

But then again you don't seem to care about the etymology either. So I don't know where that leaves us.

I guess nowhere.
Your impression was wrong then on both counts. It has nothing to do with 'care for the US usage'. I'm quite respectful of whatever they call it in the U.S. What I'm not too endearing too, is being told local usage, where ever that may be is wrong because it doesn't fit your dictionary meaning.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 05:09   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLGCrawford View Post
I can't say that doesn't exist, or that some farmers do that.

But if you buy your eggs from a small farmer, one who allows their chickens to roam, you will get a better egg. A natural fed chicken (no grains, just eats what it finds), will have a yolk that is deep orange.

Like with all foods, a trip to the farm where the food is originating will tell you a lot about the quality of the food you are getting. Small farmers who allow the animals to do what they do naturally will produce much higher quality than a factory farm.
Yup! We raised chickens for many years. Free range organic clucks, our yolks were always orange.
Old 17-04-2016, 05:19   #85

Quote:
Your impression was wrong then on both counts. It has nothing to do with 'care for the US usage'. I'm quite respectful of whatever they call it in the U.S. What I'm not too endearing too, is being told local usage, where ever that may be is wrong because it doesn't fit your dictionary meaning.
Well local usage is local usage. I can't really see how someone could argue that it's "wrong". It's what makes a dialect, a dialect.
Old 17-04-2016, 05:25   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

So, I guess there's a limit to what can be said about the removal of labels from cans while cruising.
Old 17-04-2016, 05:26   #87

I feel like there's a couple more disputes in us yet.
Old 17-04-2016, 05:29   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I feel like there's a couple more disputes in us yet.
Thanks for the laugh,- this lifted my spirits!