Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 06:44   #31

Re: build a 12 volt sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Like the 75% efficient inverters?

That was from an article about inverters.... it was the low end however. I don't pull numbers out of my a__ like some people.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 06:55   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes. A mains-style AH counter like Kill-a-Watt on the load side

a DC version on the bank showing total energy draw. Obviously converting both to watt-hours,

will show many even expensive inverters have **much** lower overall conversion efficiency IRL than the number cited by the manufacturer.

Especially over 24-hours when users leave them on standby all the time.

For those with limited energy inputs, especially with smaller boats living mostly on the hook,

you're much better off going native DC or diesel / propane whatever, whenever possible.

For the few truly required mains devices left, a smal (maybe cheap) dedicated inverter selected for that device, both get turned on and off together

will save an enormous amount of power over time.

Of course those first-worlders on bigger boats desiring all the mod cons, often plugged into shore power or running ICE every day, this approach will be denigrated as a "camping" lifestyle.

Thanks John:
Your assessment of the energy situation is virtually identical to mine here. I often forget that most folks never live aboard for any length of time, and most live aboards are not voyagers, but live in floating trailerparks ...... I believe they are called Marinas. To me there is no point of living on a boat in a forest of boats next to a city. The world is full of places where you can swing on the hook in beautiful surroundings for a few days or weeks, and then move on somewhere else. A Yacht shouldn't be a houseboat, and there is nothing sadder than a bay full of beautiful yachts yearning to go to sea that only get out briefly on rare occasions. Like a zoo with a cage filled with eagles that have had their wings clipped.

H.W.
Old 20-11-2018, 07:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazarac View Post
The Insti pot brand has a 12 volt circulation motor. I see the units for around $80 US.

If you read the description the motor is 12 volt DC for some reason, but the unit itself is 120 volt...... go figure.

https://instantpot.com/portfolio-ite...v800/#tab-id-2

It's a good buy, but it isn't a 12 volt unit......

H.W.
Old 20-11-2018, 07:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I sous vided in a crock pot for years. All you need is a stupid pot without electronics, and a temperature controller that can turn it off and on. Fill it with water, drop in the thermocouple and the vacuum sealer bag, plug it into the controller, and wait.

I'm still sous viding the same way, except I'm using a rice cooker instead of a crock pot.

This is the "gold star" solution..... The Road Prop is available on Amazon for $33.62 with free shipping....... who doesn't have Prime? https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL-.../dp/B0013IR88A
The 12 volt Inkbird temperature controller accurate to 1 deg F is available on Ebay for $15.00. Inkbird ITC1000 12V Digital Temperature Controller 2 Relay Thermostat Fahrenheit

There are other options, these are just examples. A circulator would be nice to maintain water temps accurately. That would not be difficult to hack. For example there are some cheap 12 volt pumps that are heat tolerant. I would run two small lines to such a pump set outside the cooker. These pumps don't self prime, so I'd set it up so I could suck the water through the pump via a T and valve, then close the valve, and you are up and running.... a quick and effective low tech solution. I'd toss the glass lid and make a metal one with insulation, and cutouts for waterlines to the pump and thermocouple.

Here's a 12 volt pump on Ebay.... actually suggested for Sous Vide... $12.50 plus another $3 shipping..........https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DC-12V...6hLC:rk:1:pf:0

None of it is rocket science The energy consumption could be kept very low by simply placing the works in a cheap foam cooler covered tightly, or wrapping in a blanket, etc.....

Solar panels are cheap compared to batteries. Any direct use of solar ultimately saves money. It reduces the needed battery capacity and/or cooking fuel you need to carry.

Preheating the water on the stove to the cooking temp of typically about 140F doesn't take a lot of fuel, or a simple solar water heating panel could do all or part of that. You really don't ever need hundreds of watts....... common sense helps a lot.

H.W.
Old 20-11-2018, 09:34   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Many years ago there was a chef/restaurant owner of a nice restaurant in my town. He was known for cooking food in unusual methods while traveling. For example, wrapping a fish filet in aluminum foil with some spices and lemon and putting it on the cylinder head of his engine while he drove. In a couple hours he had a nice meal. Seems to me that cruisers can be rather inventive in the same way.

That's an old hippie trick. I did it decades ago when camping in my Westie. Prep a meal, wrap it in foil, put it on the block and when you get to where you wanna be, it's hot and ready to eat. Great for heating up leftovers too. Obviously has it's limitations, like you can't make rice
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 14:48   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yummie, infused with petroleum fumes. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 18:18   #37

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Yummie, infused with petroleum fumes. . .

If you have petroleum fumes, either your car needs a tune up or you didn't wrap it right in enough foil. I never tasted or smelled any fumes on my food
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 20:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Many years ago there was a chef/restaurant owner of a nice restaurant in my town. He was known for cooking food in unusual methods while traveling. For example, wrapping a fish filet in aluminum foil with some spices and lemon and putting it on the cylinder head of his engine while he drove. In a couple hours he had a nice meal. Seems to me that cruisers can be rather inventive in the same way.

That's an old hippie trick. I did it decades ago when camping in my Westie. Prep a meal, wrap it in foil, put it on the block and when you get to where you wanna be, it's hot and ready to eat. Great for heating up leftovers too. Obviously has it's limitations, like you can't make rice

I've done that for over 40 years.... and I never was a "hippie".....In my Subaru, I have a little structure that allows me to carry a solar shower on top of the engine... above the air cleaner. About 2 hours and I have nice hot shower. (2010 Outback). I camp in my car when traveling long distances. The areas (in the Northwest), I typically travel through have many places where I can pull off down by a river bank, out in the woods or desert in complete solitude. I cannot sleep in a bed... back issues and reflux. I live in an extremely remote area and am used to silence except for the sounds of nature at night. Motels offer a poor night's sleep with a sore back... I've slept in a recliner for many years.......... The night noises of nature, running water, the soft patter of raindrops, the breeze, the sound of a coyote, or an owl, the occasional scream of a dying rabbit, the rattle of leaves in the breeze.......those are the sounds that lull me into a deep and restful sleep. Google maps has markers at all the really great spots I've found. The sound of rooks high on the cliffs in a lonely canyon, the chirp of picas... The wilderness is my element and always has been. For some unfathomable reason, I'm relaxed and content, the greater my solitude.. Quite the opposite from "normal". One of the reasons the ocean draws me with such a powerful magnetism.

H.W.
Old 20-11-2018, 21:34   #39

Boat: Roberts 45

Shouldn't be too hard to dip a 12V 10A immersion heater in a small esky (icebox) filled with hot water, maybe pre-heated on the main stove.

Then add a temp sensor and a small pump plus a microcontroller with a FET to control the heat and presto, you're good to go.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:47   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post

There was even a cookbook based on the old air cooled VW on how to prepare meals whilst driving.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:16   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Thanks John:
Your assessment of the energy situation is virtually identical to mine here. I often forget that most folks never live aboard for any length of time, and most live aboards are not voyagers, but live in floating trailerparks ...... I believe they are called Marinas. To me there is no point of living on a boat in a forest of boats next to a city. The world is full of places where you can swing on the hook in beautiful surroundings for a few days or weeks, and then move on somewhere else. A Yacht shouldn't be a houseboat, and there is nothing sadder than a bay full of beautiful yachts yearning to go to sea that only get out briefly on rare occasions. Like a zoo with a cage filled with eagles that have had their wings clipped.

H.W.
So you're living aboard? On a catamaran?

We are, have been for nearly 9 years. Not in marinas.

The reality: on a cat there's room for a good sized solar array. Most of the time we have power to burn. Batteries going into float around mid day.

We run an inverter 24/7.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:38   #42

Quote:

will show many even expensive inverters have **much** lower overall conversion efficiency IRL than the number cited by the manufacturer.

Especially over 24-hours when users leave them on standby all the time.
Well duh. Of course an inverter will show poor efficiency when there's no load!

Just like a car sitting still with the engine running gets lousy mileage.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:59   #43

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

Typical CF — OP asks a question and quickly it goes off topic. This was about cooking and half the posts are about inverter efficiency.

I was considering converting my tank water heater to DC and found 300 watt and 600 watt 12vdc immersion elements available. Google fins several suppliers. 300 watts is about 24 amps but once the water was hot and if the system was well insulated keeping the souls vide up to temperature might not be too costly in AH if you have enough solar. It would be fun to build a dedicated onboard 12vdc sous vide, but the KISS principle would demand the simplest approach, which is probably using the inverter.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 12:20   #44

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

Of course those first-worlders on bigger boats desiring all the mod cons, often plugged into shore power or running ICE every day, this approach will be denigrated as a "camping" lifestyle.
We have all the mod cons apart from A/C and have ice everyday.
We live aboard and have not been in a marina in over two years and have no need for them.
We almost never need the genset but do have decent solar

To not live the "camping" lifestyle is easier than you think, probably easier than mcguyvering together low power use sous vide, forever repairing 12v refrigeration and worrying about power usage to the last amp.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 12:26   #45
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_voyager View Post
Typical CF — OP asks a question and quickly it goes off topic. This was about cooking and half the posts are about inverter efficiency.
There have also been several great posts with specific HowTo details, and the consensus there, is that it is a pretty basic DIY project.

See the title and very beginning of the OP. I don't see any questions about cooking, this is a thread about electricity, and

specifically the OP wanting to stick to native DC, while others favour using inverters, so that discussion, while tiresome, is certainly not off topic.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote