Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2018, 17:05   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Sous vide

Hey everyone! We’re currently shopping for and trying out kitchen equipment our Lagoon. We plan to take delivery of our boat in just a few short weeks! Does anyone use a sous vide to cook on board? We’re trying it at home for the first time tonight! 🤞🏼
MeganSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 17:30   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: Sous vide

Been using a Sous Vide cooker (Joule) on board for over a year. That's just dockside, and with that restriction I find it very usefull and practical. Especially during the summer months I can slow cook without heating up the cabin.

Here's a link to my use of Sous Vide: Galley Items

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 18:01   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Good Lord!!!
Soon we won't even be able to (insert tasteless comment here) without a smart phone app.
So says the old owner of an old flip phone.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 18:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

20 years of sous vide aboard and professionally... Polyscience immersion circulator and vacuum bagger... works on the inverter, really great for both proteins and some veggies. Not sure what someone means about smart phone... it's one of the most simple forms of cooking and timing isn't critical.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 20:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Not sure what someone means about smart phone...

The link above talks about a heater/water pump that is controlled by a phone app. No physical controls other than the on/off switch.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 20:54   #6

Also have a Joule. Works great from the inverter and uses little electricity after bringing the water up to temperature. No cleanup. Stores in a utensil drawer. We use it mostly to cook chicken and beef. Works with meat right from the freezer that hasn't been defrosted.

If you have the inverter capacity, consider also:

- A portable one burner induction cook top . Easy to store. This is the best way to boil a large pot of water for proper pasta. Propane takes forever to boil and then can't keep it at a vigorous boil with the cooking pasta. Less than $100 and stores easily.

- A Cuisinart Griddler - We now rarely use the bbq. This is faster and does a much better job than the typical "too shallow" boat bbq that has hot spots and takes constant attention. Boneless chicken breasts will cook perfectly in 4 minutes. Burgers have a great sear without being overcooked in the middle. Grease drains away. Great for paninis, grilled cheese, grilled vegetables, etc. A bit of a storage challenge.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 00:48   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We met some ultra mod folks with a Outremer 55, and an InstaPot, while in an up market boat yard. They loved it. I wondered how they would power it offshore.

Ann
Old 31-08-2018, 04:25   #8

Boat: Valiant 40
Sous vide

I can’t use one as they all seem to be 1000w which is more than I could handle. I’m assuming that as an immersion heater that has to closely keep temp it’s variable resistance and so if I heated the water on the stove to start with it might work but anyway...

I’m a convert to sous vide after a recent experience. A friend of mine and I both bought NY strip steaks from a Piggly Wiggly (ie not the best meat). I cooked mine on my boat grill, to medium rare. It was one of the worst, most tasteless steaks I’ve ever had. The next night I went to my friend’s house for dinner to discover he was cooking it sous vide. I told him the meat was awful, only to then enjoy one of the tastiest, most tender steaks I’d ever had. A revelation.
Old 04-09-2018, 16:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
Been using a Sous Vide cooker (Joule) on board for over a year. That's just dockside, and with that restriction I find it very usefull and practical. Especially during the summer months I can slow cook without heating up the cabin.

Here's a link to my use of Sous Vide: Galley Items

John

Hi John! Thanks for sharing your link with all your expertise!
Old 04-09-2018, 16:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
20 years of sous vide aboard and professionally... Polyscience immersion circulator and vacuum bagger... works on the inverter, really great for both proteins and some veggies. Not sure what someone means about smart phone... it's one of the most simple forms of cooking and timing isn't critical.

Wow! You’re an expert! I guess I’ll bring my questions to you! [emoji4]
Old 04-09-2018, 16:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Also have a Joule. Works great from the inverter and uses little electricity after bringing the water up to temperature. No cleanup. Stores in a utensil drawer. We use it mostly to cook chicken and beef. Works with meat right from the freezer that hasn't been defrosted.

If you have the inverter capacity, consider also:

- A portable one burner induction cook top . Easy to store. This is the best way to boil a large pot of water for proper pasta. Propane takes forever to boil and then can't keep it at a vigorous boil with the cooking pasta. Less than $100 and stores easily.

- A Cuisinart Griddler - We now rarely use the bbq. This is faster and does a much better job than the typical "too shallow" boat bbq that has hot spots and takes constant attention. Boneless chicken breasts will cook perfectly in 4 minutes. Burgers have a great sear without being overcooked in the middle. Grease drains away. Great for paninis, grilled cheese, grilled vegetables, etc. A bit of a storage challenge.

Thank you for your insights Carl! We will definitely check those out!
Old 04-09-2018, 16:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I can’t use one as they all seem to be 1000w which is more than I could handle. I’m assuming that as an immersion heater that has to closely keep temp it’s variable resistance and so if I heated the water on the stove to start with it might work but anyway...

I’m a convert to sous vide after a recent experience. A friend of mine and I both bought NY strip steaks from a Piggly Wiggly (ie not the best meat). I cooked mine on my boat grill, to medium rare. It was one of the worst, most tasteless steaks I’ve ever had. The next night I went to my friend’s house for dinner to discover he was cooking it sous vide. I told him the meat was awful, only to then enjoy one of the tastiest, most tender steaks I’d ever had. A revelation.

@Suijin, that’s great to know! I am familiar with Piggly Wiggly, hahaha!
Old 04-09-2018, 16:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We met some ultra mod folks with a Outremer 55, and an InstaPot, while in an up market boat yard. They loved it. I wondered how they would power it offshore.

Ann

@Ann, that’s an interesting question. I’ve heard a lot about Instant Pot but have never used one. My impression is that it’s one of those devices that does a lot of things decently but may not be super great at any of them. If anyone can advocate for it over a sous vide please share your insights! [emoji4]
Old 04-09-2018, 16:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Good Lord!!!

Soon we won't even be able to (insert tasteless comment here) without a smart phone app.

So says the old owner of an old flip phone.

@Bill - hahaha! My sous vide doesn’t have a smartphone app. However, if on land, I can see how that might be handy for a busy person/family