Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2012, 09:56   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Like others, I greatly prefer a French press to an electric drip machine. The coffee is just much better; the apparatus is much simpler.

But I prefer a Nespresso machine to the French press. World's best coffee!! It can be hard to source the pods while cruising, however, so we keep the French press as backup.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:00   #122

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Any Coffee Drinkers ?

The problem with the cone drip systems is they are very hard to use underway. We cruised to SoPac with a thermos and cone drip filter. More than once dumped the contents of the cone filter on the counter when the boat took an unexpected lurch. Still use it at anchor or in the harbor filtering into a thermos.[/QUOTE]

We made little bungee cords w/elastic w/ small s hooks to secure the cone to the cup. The flat elastic goes under the cup to the top of the cone, the cups were put in the sink to add water, only tipped the cups over once this way and that was a rough wave rolling the boat. At least in the sink the mess was do-able. Try it, works pretty good while underway.
I love my coffee, will die without..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:06   #123
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead
Like others, I greatly prefer a French press to an electric drip machine. The coffee is just much better; the apparatus is much simpler.

But I prefer a Nespresso machine to the French press. World's best coffee!! It can be hard to source the pods while cruising, however, so we keep the French press as backup.
Try a Bialetti when you like espresso! They sell the original Italian ones at Amazon, called a Moka.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expre...0193136&sr=8-2

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:14   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rubyjean--i use mine while underway and only spilled it one time--isnt bad once the movements of boat are taken into account. is only way i make coffee.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:24   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rubyjean--i use mine while underway and only spilled it one time--isnt bad once the movements of boat are taken into account. is only way i make coffee.
I knew that you was hardcore like me. Doing a re-fit and will see you some-where south soon I hope. It's snowing up here and I can't take much more...Michael..
Old 25-02-2012, 10:25   #126

dont forget to install a coffee pot holder so ye dont have to worry about the damthing as ye sail....
Old 25-02-2012, 10:33   #127

Quote:
dont forget to install a coffee pot holder so ye dont have to worry about the damthing as ye sail....
Amen Sister, Good sailing to you & boatie cat...Michael..
Old 25-02-2012, 10:36   #128

see ye soon over coffee--btw-- mexico for most part doesnt have dark roasted beans in the stores--have to find it special.... i found some in farmers market situations...otherwise i have to re roast mine...
Old 25-02-2012, 10:48   #129

Quote:
see ye soon over coffee--btw-- mexico for most part doesnt have dark roasted beans in the stores--have to find it special.... i found some in farmers market situations...otherwise i have to re roast mine...
When we head out we'll bring 20#s of good beans w/us. Coffee will be on us. Stay healthy....Michael..
Old 25-02-2012, 10:58   #130

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the feed for hot water is running across the bottom of the hot plate? Is the water being heated by the same heating element that warms the hot plate? If so, disconnecting that will result in cold water being poured on your grounds- and a prety miserable cup of coffee....

Yes I think you are absolutely correct. I hadn't considered that the hotplate also heats the input water. OH well, it may be overkill to run the generator but for a cup of coffee...!
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 11:01   #131

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

But we still need hot water
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 11:02   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jim, last time I opened one of those up there was no "pump" as such. AFAIK they all work the saame way, no pump means no expensive parts. They just heat the water that is in the pipe, the hot water expands, shoots out the top, drips into your coffee. There may be a valve in there but no pump.

So if you disconnect the "hot plate" it should make no difference. If it doesn't drip after that--just reconnect it, I severely doubt you can actually HURT anything in there by disconnecting it.

I'd unplug the "cloth" insulated white wire that connects to the hot plate, just leave the rest alone and see if that does the trick. When you unplug it, remember you've gota live wire now in a hot place. Make sure it doesn't short out, and try to find a ceramic or high temp wire nut or something similar to cap it off securely if the test works out.

I don't know that will really solve the problem though, the hot plate may draw less power than the heating portion does.
Never really took one apart, but that's what I thought also... heat powers the water flow....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 19:29   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnston View Post
But we still need hot water
Maybe not....

see attached link for some good cold water brew methods.

YMMV or is it YKMV?

August 2011: Cold Brew Experimentation | Sweet Maria's Coffee Library
troutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 04:40   #134

Like atoll, I have aboard the moka. But only for those times that I can't have 220V volts. Normally I take espresso time (2 per day) with my Nespresso machine (I fix it with Velcro).
Lovely...
Bucaniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 06:06   #135

Boat: 1990 Macgregor 26

I am an over the road trucker and a sailor. Very similar conditions as far as space limitations, power limitations, etc. my suggestion is to go to any truckstop and buy a ROADPRO 12V 20oz drip coffee maker for about $30. Plugs into a 12V outlet, uses a reusable screen/filter, will fasten down with provided bracket, won't spill unless you capsize, has a warmer and insulated carafe you can use as an oversized cup, etc. I use one on the boat and in the truck every morning. Easy, not labor intensive, (add coffee, water, push button, pour and enjoy. ;-)
Jay hawker is offline   Reply With Quote