Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 10:09   #16

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Weeds on anchor almost caused a crash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
and add a pair of machine screws with wing nuts to the end of your boat hook that would allow you to mount it easily/quickly if needed.
Or better yet find an old pole somewhere and make one up dedicated to weeds. If I was doing it often that is what I would do to keep from putting the blades on, pulling the blades off, over and over again.
Old 31-08-2018, 10:19   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Understand your point, but on most other boats I’ve sailed it’s been under an aft berth, so not really much difference.

The windlass is actuated by a solenoid switch. Only light wiring goes to the helm or foo switch, so it can be anyplace or multiple places.

I would NOT place the sole switch a the helm. There are times when I must be forward and I really don't like the idea os someone at the other end of the boat wielding the power.

Shrew and Daniel had it right. You break the anchor use with the boat, not the windlass. If the anchor is a mess, proceed at idle to a safe place. I've hooked huge branches and mounts of weed; the solution is procedure.

The pole saw sounds good too. I always keep a long handled scraper up front; just keep a second one with a sharp blade.
Old 31-08-2018, 10:43   #18

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

just a couple of thoughts

When we need to break out the anchor, we move the vessel forward and hual up the rode and chain until it is vertical. Straight up and down. Then cleat her down hard.

We do not use the windlass to break the anchor out, we power forward with the vessel . That should easily break it loose. If it does now want to break lose, we change quadrant direction by 90 degrees and power forward again, and keep trying every 90 degrees thru a 360..

When it breaks out, then we use the windlass to finish raising anchor.

Also, we are not familiar with your lake sailing, but we check out the cruising guides as to bottom quality, and prefer sand or mud . Grass, weeds, and kelp or rock can not only bring about the problem that you had, but it generally is not good holding ground.

As suggested, as you hauled up the anchor, we would not have brought it on board, but motored out to deeper safer waters away from the anchorage with the anchor positioned securely hanging from the bow roller. Then cleaned it up. I really like the idea of the long handled cutting tool, that was pictured here. Keep life easy is our motto.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sea Story : Anchoring in Gustavia Harbor, St. Barts, French West Indies

We had wonderful, well built, and maintained, 38 foot sloop. Great vessel; Just Erica and I, on the mono hull.

We had a spirited sail down to St. Barts, good winds, clear skies, etc.

As to anchoring or mooring, we read in the cruising guide to pick up a mooring, on the right ( starboard ) side of the fair way up toward the closed end of Gustavia harbor

Best laid plans. All of the moorings were taken, none open, and we saw that other boats had anchored in the middle of the mooring field, with boats in very close quarters. That plan was not an option for us. Not smart.

Plan B....we decided not to anchor in that mess of boats, and create problems from us, or other boats dragging, or swinging wide.

At this time, I see a very high black wall of nasty looking clouds approaching from the east. This looks bad news to me . Erica is not bothered she is from the frozen north of New England. I am a california boy, so what do I know.

We had 150 ft of chain, and 150 ft of line rode. Depth about 20 to 30 feet.
So, we anchor single hook, well away from any other vessels, Our swing room is just fine.

That dark tall wall of nasty looking clouds is still approaching. I again voice my attitude about what looks like a bad okole big mamma storm. Erica wants to go ashore for dinner and dancing. So, she goes below to shower,
while I stand anchor watch, check our anchor set, and write down the bearings in the log.

That wall of pent up anger and danger is still heading toward us.

She comes back up to the cockpit all squeeky clean, and takes over anchor watch while I go below to take a quick fresh water washdown. Having a lady who can sail is pretty darned special.

After showering , I come out of the marine head area, and spy a bottle of Mt.Gay Rum on the galley counter. I pour a sound glass , narry a sip, and I hear a loud report from Erica: "DEN, WE ARE DRAGGING ! " I can feel the boat move.

Well, I am buck naked, but grab my board shorts and haul at all speed topside. No Gloves, no shoes, almost no nuttin'

The winds have roared up, so I plan to pay out more scope, we have loads of chain and rode . I free the anchor line, all the chain was out, and the wind hits like a sledge hammer. the anchor line is racing through my grip, and burning my palms. Erica hollers : DO YOU WANT ME UP THERE TO HELP. We had the engine running to charge the batteries....

NO, FULL POWER, AHEAD, FULL POWER. The wind was now very strong, and we were still moving down wind, and the anchor line quickly running out.

We could lose the anchor, chain and rode....the bitter end was secured to a 'U' bolt fastener in the anchor locker, but that fastener would not have held fast in these conditions. It would have ripped right off the anchor locker bulkhead.

finally, we slow down our stern way, and I get a wrap around the windlass, and back it up by double cleating the line rode to both starboard and port bow cleats. Anchor rode left in the locker.....3 feet. Whew!

It was about 15:30 hrs, and the wind was so strong that the rain was horizontal and stinging the body and the eyes. Visibility was down to a very few yards. We could not see any other vessels in the harbor nor land.

No dancing tonight. We stood anchor watches until around TWO A.M.
We kept the engine running and in gear to take some of the load of the ground tackle. No complaints, it was what it was, and we just handled it.

The wind finally dropped, visibility came back and we had not moved . The storm had passed, and we checked our bearings, still solid to the bottom. We secured the now in neutral engine and hit the rack.

The next day was sunny and clear. We went ashore and first checked with the port captain, and found that the winds had maxed out at 64 mph...73 is hurricane force 1. No one had a clue that weather system was developing.

We had a great time in St. Barts, and a couple of days later , it was time to haul up , and depart for Anguilla.

THE PLOT THICKENS !

Now back to the anchor story. I am up at the bow, signaling Erica, at the helm, to motor slowly forward. Soon the anchor line is tight and vertical.
Hand signal, add power and break out the anchor.

Hmmmm, that plan is not working. I look down , the anchor line is straight down and hard. And, I can see our anchor is just below the surface and it caught on something.

I looked closer. Our anchor had indeed drug when that storm hit. But the gods of good luck had been with us. That anchor as it drug across the bottom , hooked soundly on an old very thick mooring line that was laying on top of the sand. It had been cast off at some previous time but was still solidly attached to its concrete base.

I got in the dink, and pulled it up along side the hull, and used a serrated large galley knife to cut thru the 2 inch thick mooring line eye. The mooring line floated back to the bottom of the harbor, and I finished hauling the anchor up, and securing it .

I firmly believe that neptune and the sea gods and a load of good luck was with us that day and night. All turned out well .

The years of roaming the seas and the planet have caught up to us, and now, whenever possible we just pick up a maintained mooring, Use double bridles, party ashore, and sleep easy at night But, when either of us get up during the night, we look out to check our position and land marks.

However, we stand clear of non maintained moorings, as they cannot be relied upon for 100% holding , mooring lines, chains, fittings, etc.

we will be headed back to the BVI next year, and we save up cash yankee green to pay the $ 30.00 / night mooring fees. No worries is a good feeling .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 10:57   #19

Boat: Pearson 530

Walmart has these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whetstone...Black/17243642
Old 31-08-2018, 11:33   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N Crichton View Post
Check your windlass fuse trip values - maybe too low ? Mine 11t catamaran has a 120A breaker on a Lofrans windlass.

which is not enough: specification says the windlass motor you need for the cat is the biggest, the 1500W / 12V = 125A
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:21   #21

Boat: Pearson 34-II

As others have suggested, pull your hook and let it hang at water level as you slowly motor to a safer area. I use a saltwater gaff hook which I find is easier to pick the weed off the anchor rather than trying to cut it . . . especially if there is a clump of mud/clay thrown into the mix. Also, if you know you're dropping in weed, keep a safe distance from other boats when you initially anchor and trend towards the deeper water. It works for us and I still pull my 32 lb anchor with 40 feet of 3/8 chain by hand. Good luck and safe sailing. Rognvald
Old 12-09-2018, 09:11   #22

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

The bread knife works great, have used onr for years on So Cal kelp. I think it would be better because it is serrated. Better than a carving knife. Guessing a pole saw would work,except for storing it.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:28   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have this one. Use it for rope or weed. Fits on many extendable boat hook poles. Keep it oiled and dry and in its sheath.

https://www.sailorssolutions.com/ind...ails&Item=CH01
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CD3373B-231F-4E10-9A35-8A4575E2E3DD.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	177255  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:48   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks for posting about the Hook Knife. I had one and managed to break it. I found it effective for clearing a prop wrap. I could not remember the name to repurchase. I just did.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 03:32   #25

Boat: Hunter 420, 42'

I finally got back to the boat and checked specs. Simpson Lawrence Sprint 1000 Windlass, '02 wire, 400W, 60amp load, 70 amp breaker (included in kit with windlass) pulling 200 feet of 5/16" chain and 35 lb Delta. This is on a Hunter 2000 420 CC.

As soon as the windlass begins to labor, it pops the fuse. It's dangerous because I've been in 3 situations this year that the boat was being pushed towards a lee shore while I had to run below and reset the breaker. Any thoughts?
DayDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 04:26   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For clarity: 2AWG wire OR 00 (2 ought) wire? I think you mean 2AWG.

00 is 0.078 ohms/1000 feet
#2 is 0.156 ohms/1000 feet

Probably not critical in this case.

Being basically more lazy than cheap I would opt to change out the breaker. It’s probably the cheapest and easiest fix. They have been known to go off spec.

We have a different windlass, much bigger. The windlass will labor without popping the breaker. Once my wife jammed the anchor into the roller, that popped the breaker and caused a whole lot of cussing to boot.
Old 13-09-2018, 05:05   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Breaker too small? Wires to small? Breaker on it’s last legs? Have you metered the actual amps? Windlass on its last legs?

New breaker is easiest to replace. If it was not the culprit then you have a spare.
Same logic applies to a replacement motor.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 05:43   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OR, perhaps, the windlass is undersized. He said these conditions are new, I’m presuming it worked before. It’s a 42’ boat, I think that windlass has only 400lbs of pull. You have the anchor + chain + god knows how much weed. If the boat is moving through the water the weed will have a lot of resistance and feel much heavier.
Old 13-09-2018, 06:43   #29

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We catch so many pieces of fishing nets sometimes around here (northern Italy) that my policy is to usually drive backward out of the anchorage while one or the other of my crew are up front hacking at the pieces caught on the anchor/last bit of chain. Gets the mud off too... I've motored astern for a good slow 500 meters once or twice before, but nothing gets caught in the prop or dings the bow, and it's good practice for maneuvering the boat to boot
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 08:27   #30

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDream View Post
It's dangerous because I've been in 3 situations this year that the boat was being pushed towards a lee shore while I had to run below and reset the breaker. Any thoughts?
Yeah - don't put your safety solely in the hands of a single circuit breaker.

You should have enough control over the situation where such an occurrence isn't as life and death as you are describing it to be. Sounds like, in addition to fixing your electrical problem, some learning, strategizing, and practicing is in order. Folks here have already given some good ideas to consider.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor